crazylot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Working out without Protein shakes...

Ok so I need a little help here. Ive tried most flavors that are out there and all of them make me gag right when I try to drink it, I guess mostly because of bad past experiences with flavor. Ive even tried the 16 flavor packets of Gold Standard 100% whey its a variety pack with all different flavors and same results. Even when I try to and fruits or peanut butter. I basically tried every trick in the book to try to chug it down and its IMPOSSIBLE for me.

so I am just beginning to train with a friend and I have a really hard core metabolism. I was wondering if instead of the shakes I can substitute it for protein bars? or any ideas on what I could do for substitution? please dont tell me to try a different shake cause its not going to work.

thanks ;]

rugbynate is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbynate is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbynate is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbynate is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbynate is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbynate is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbynate is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbynate is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbynate is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbynate is on a distinguished road. (+10) rugbynate is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    just eat protein rich foods....

CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by crazylot View Post
    Ok so I need a little help here. Ive tried most flavors that are out there and all of them make me gag right when I try to drink it, I guess mostly because of bad past experiences with flavor. Ive even tried the 16 flavor packets of Gold Standard 100% whey its a variety pack with all different flavors and same results. Even when I try to and fruits or peanut butter. I basically tried every trick in the book to try to chug it down and its IMPOSSIBLE for me.

so I am just beginning to train with a friend and I have a really hard core metabolism. I was wondering if instead of the shakes I can substitute it for protein bars? or any ideas on what I could do for substitution? please dont tell me to try a different shake cause its not going to work.

thanks ;]
    If you're talking about postworkout meal then there isn't much that can match the speed of whey when traveling through your body. Try Eas chocolate, I like it with milk.

levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i heard this from a body builder and it makes sense if you think about it, u should have a protein shake after your workout but not through the day u should have high in protein foods, because food breaks down and goes through your metabolism protein shakes have nothing 2 break down so they just sit there in the bottom of your stomach, just eat like 5 good meals and 1 protein shake right after ur done lifting, have it with low fat milk it tastes better than with water

CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by levan101 View Post
    i heard this from a body builder and it makes sense if you think about it, u should have a protein shake after your workout but not through the day u should have high in protein foods, because food breaks down and goes through your metabolism protein shakes have nothing 2 break down so they just sit there in the bottom of your stomach, just eat like 5 good meals and 1 protein shake right after ur done lifting, have it with low fat milk it tastes better than with water
    This does not answer his question whatsoever..

levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) levan101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by CLandry View Post
    This does not answer his question whatsoever..

hes asking for a SUBSTITUTION and i gave him 1 ? so ya im pretty sure i answered the question for not having 2 take them and so he wont get the extra fatty on his stomach

crazylot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well i am talking about post work out and after work out like "how your supposed to"
    ive just tried every flavor out there and i cant drink any of them. so thats why i was wondering if you dont really NEED to drink a protein shake. if you can instead use a protein bar or protein rich food seeming like its the only way i can do it.

Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    well i am talking about post work out and after work out like "how your supposed to"
    ive just tried every flavor out there and i cant drink any of them. so thats why i was wondering if you dont really NEED to drink a protein shake. if you can instead use a protein bar or protein rich food seeming like its the only way i can do it.

Whey protein is used after a workout because of its fast absorbtion. How you cannot take it down I have no clue. Maybe either suck it up, or pick a new hobby because lifting weights is alot harder than drinking a simple protein shake which tastes GOOD. Also to the other guy your bodybuilding friend is wrong. Whey protein doesn't just sit there, think for a moment how stupid that sounds. I as well as many many others drink a shake PWO, before bed, breakfast, or anytime.

EDIT: Another thing to take note is PWO people drink their shake with WATER because like i said, faster absorption.
    Last edited by Twstd; 04-15-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can't really get any faster absorption in your postworkout than through Whey, but protein rich foods would be EXCELLENT and something like a protein bar.. it would work but nothing too special.
    Studies show that your body has a 30-60 minute time window in which you should have protein after your workout in order to get the best absorption possible(random but I thought it was somewhat relevant).

EDIT: I agree with everything Twstd just said also, except for you to stop lifting because you can't down protein shakes.
    Last edited by Rain50; 04-15-2010 at 08:16 PM.

ya i mean if u dont wanna have protein shakes through the day thats okay but u HAVTA have 1 after u lift its feeding your muscles

jayyyboyle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jayyyboyle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jayyyboyle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jayyyboyle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jayyyboyle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jayyyboyle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jayyyboyle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jayyyboyle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jayyyboyle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jayyyboyle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

thanks ;]
    same with me i tried protien right after the gym and i threw up. What i have done is just get home fast after the gym and make a smoothie of fruits, fat free yogurt, ice, and apple juice, and i add in the powder i have the 100% whey 'mixed berries' the shake tastes somewhat like the powder but it for sure beats drinking it straight from water.

Registered User aempowerlifting's Avatar
    aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aempowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The benefits of drinking whey because of the absorption time are vastly overrated. Although true, whey is absorbed faster than most other "whole" foods, the overrall impact it has compared to a whole food source is negligible at best; especially when we have teenagers arguing back and forth about NEEDING this supplement and that supplement, when most of us know little to nothing about training, and many of us engage in worse habits (i.e. occassional drinking).

The truth of the matter is whey protein shakes are great. They are fast, portable, and convenient, and efficient but outside of that realm I see no difference from drinking a protein shake after the gym or getting home and eating chicken breast and sweet potatoes.

Hater of Lazy People EliteExtra's Avatar
    EliteExtra will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliteExtra will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliteExtra will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliteExtra will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliteExtra will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliteExtra will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliteExtra will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliteExtra will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliteExtra will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliteExtra will become famous soon enough. (+50) EliteExtra will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    just dont take them man for a longtime I didnt take any protein shakes at all and did fine.
    “I'm bloated, puffy and holding a little water. I lack definition, I am lethargic and at times have no ab visibility. But if you can't handle me when I'm bulking, then you sure as hell don't deserve me when I'm shredded.” - Marilyn Munbro

weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10) weightmate is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    stop being a bitch and drink the shake.
    hold your nose, it will limit how much you taste it

Smokin-Whale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smokin-Whale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smokin-Whale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smokin-Whale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smokin-Whale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smokin-Whale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smokin-Whale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smokin-Whale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smokin-Whale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smokin-Whale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smokin-Whale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can you drink milk? If you can, i'm sure you can handle unflavoured whey + milk.

i will be green one day.. korey1993's Avatar
    korey1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) korey1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) korey1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) korey1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) korey1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) korey1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) korey1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) korey1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) korey1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) korey1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) korey1993 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

thanks ;]
    as like everyone else is saying whey protein shakes are made in order to take right after a workout, is proven to be one of the fastest absorbed proteins since is whey protein isolate.

now to answer your question protein bars are full of fat and carbs that will probably get unused since its after your workout, you never know what kind of gunk they put in those protein bars... but what you can do is put 200ml of water instead of 250, which will be less liquid allowing you to straight away shoot it down, dont think of the taste just skull it down. I must remind you protein shakes weren't made to be enjoyably delicious they were made simply as a means of fast absorbing proteins.