Athedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Athedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What does 3x 8-10 reps mean?

A simple question. When a program suggests that I do an exercise 3x 8-10 reps, does that mean that I never move out of that reprange or does that mean that the first set should be 8-10 reps? As I see it it could mean one out of three things:

1. If I start an exercise with 10 reps and aim to get really tired from this set, the whole exercise will turn out something like: 10reps, 8reps, 6reps. This obviously mean that I stay with the same weight.

2. If I aim to remain within the 8-10 reprange throughout the entire exercise then the first set will feel fairly light and only the third set will be really pushing my limits. Again, staying with the same weight through the entire exercise.

3. If I want to get really tired from every set I and stay within 8-10 reps 3 times, I have to decrease the weight meaning that the first set gets heavy, the next set lighter and the third set really light.

So when someone writes 3x 8-10 reps, which is it that he/she means?

Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000)
    Pick a weight you can get 10 reps with for 3 sets. Next time your in the gym, increase the weight and try to get 3 sets of 10 reps again, if you end up getting 10/9/9 just keep repeating that weight until you get to 10/10/10 then up the weight and repeat.

You shouldn't be 'aiming' to get tired from a set, you should be aiming to complete all the reps for a given weight.

Basically #2
    Starting Strength... Again! - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172893

6 Month Beginner Starting Strength Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118409981

kesp74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi,

I asked the same question elsewhere on here yesterday so thanks for the answer.

Re: the 8-10 component

From what I've gathered I believe you can also start with 8 then keep working your way up to 10 in the same sort of way as ironwake suggests before adding more weight and coming back down to 8.

Another q: when you're hitting 10 comfortably on the first set and possibly the second do these become more like warm up sets?

cheers,

K

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    This thread is 7 years old.

No, they won't just be warmup sets. You only need to come within 2-3 sets of failure for a set to have a training effect.

Another method is to only apply the 8-10 reps to the first set, just do all subsequent sets to as many reps as possible with good form. Perhaps stay 1 rep from failure.

Hi,

Yeah sorry found, this thread on google and wasn't sure if I should start a new thread if the conversation was already being had here.

Thanks for the advice. What kind of warm up would you recommend then?

What about loading more weight as you work through the sets as an alternative?

Something like:

Warm up: Few reps light weight
    3x8 @ 65%
    3x8 @ 75%
    3x8 @ 85%

Cheers,

K

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by kesp74 View Post
    Hi,

Yeah sorry found, this thread on google and wasn't sure if I should start a new thread if the conversation was already being had here.

Thanks for the advice. What kind of warm up would you recommend then?

What about loading more weight as you work through the sets as an alternative?

Something like:

Warm up: Few reps light weight
    3x8 @ 65%
    3x8 @ 75%
    3x8 @ 85%

Cheers,

K
    What program?

The program will tell you if you should do sets across (same weight for each) or something different such as ramping weights (what you listed).

You should either be following an existing and proven program that tells you the answer to this or if you are doing your own program you should not have to ask this question because you already know so much about what you are doing.

Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    What program?

The program will tell you if you should do sets across (same weight for each) or something different such as ramping weights (what you listed).

You should either be following an existing and proven program that tells you the answer to this or if you are doing your own program you should not have to ask this question because you already know so much about what you are doing.
    Well one program i like the look of suggested doing two warm up sets then going all out on the third set of 8-12.

A few i've seen about 5x5's suggested increasing weight.

And i've seen loads that say do 3x8 but no mention of whether to keep weight the same or increase like the 5x5 examples.

So that's why i wondering if the increasing weight examples i've seen given for 5x5's could be applied to a 3x8.

I like the idea of fewer sets, increasing weight and making the last set count cos it looks like a time saver

Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    What program?

Here's one program i like the look of a lot . I can;t post links so you'll have to google "Bare Minimum Training: Progressive Resistance Training System - (Part 5)"

What should I be doing for warm ups? Just the bar, 50%.. ?

FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kesp74 View Post
    Here's one program i like the look of a lot . I can;t post links so you'll have to google "Bare Minimum Training: Progressive Resistance Training System - (Part 5)"

What should I be doing for warm ups? Just the bar, 50%.. ?
    Yeah that's one shty program. There's plenty of good novice routines in the stickies.

Generally speaking, if a program has you doing 3x8 but doesn't have a specific progression protocol, you would increase the weights for the next workout whenever you manage to hit 3x8.
    It's really that simple. Just don't start too high or you'll have nowhere to progress. Submaximal sets with proficient technique will yield much better results than grinding out 3 ugly sets with compromised form.