jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hello from the UK

Hi from the UK

Started training with a full body workout about 2 months ago, using dumbells and barbell. Was doing ok and after the initial soreness of starting training was happily getting on with it. Bought a bench and squat/press stand from costco that I thought would suit my needs, can handle 610lbs weight including user (I weigh 196lbs) Anyway long story short, I found this site and I have started the SL 5x5 program.

The thing is I have now invested some money in the bench and stand and bought a new barbell (standard) and some new plates and now realise to progress in the way I want I need a Power rack for complete safety as I train at home and an olympic barbell and plates.

The current bench is ok now and the stand has adjustable spotters, but I already need more weight plates and I have started thinking do I go as far as I can with the kit I have or sell all and invest in the rack and olympic stuff, what do you think?

Great site by the way wish I had found it sooner, I have read the FAQ about equipment etc.. but I had already purchased the bench.

I am into my 3rd week of SL 5x5:

Squat 160lbs
    Bench 116lbs
    OHP 66lbs
    Deadlift 176lbs
    Last edited by jim1h; 04-14-2010 at 05:06 AM.

Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Did you have something you wanted to ask, or are you just giving us an update?

jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jim1h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Riggaman View Post
    Did you have something you wanted to ask, or are you just giving us an update?

The current bench is ok now and the stand has adjustable spotters, but I already need more weight plates and I have started thinking do I go as far as I can with the kit I have or sell all and invest in the rack and olympic stuff, what do you think?

I was saying hello and if you read the post I asked something, jesus!!
    Last edited by jim1h; 04-14-2010 at 06:09 AM.

Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50) Riggaman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jim1h View Post
    I was saying hello and if you read the post I asked something, jesus!!
    Don't call me Jesus!

You're going to want to upgrade to Olympic weights sooner than later. Standard bars are not designed to support a large amount of weight, and judging by your progress on 5x5, your squats and DLs are going to be pushing the boundary soon enough.

You'll find that the majority opinion here is safety first, so you should definitely get a power rack if you're doing heavy barbell work (such as bench, squat, etc). I'm of the opinion that one should never "go as far as they can go" with equipment, because that can lead to problems. You want to have the utmost confidence in your gear if you are going to push yourself.

Oh, and sorry for the confusion, but the wording in your post was unclear.

Originally Posted by Riggaman View Post
    Don't call me Jesus!

You're going to want to upgrade to Olympic weights sooner than later. Standard bars are not designed to support a large amount of weight, and judging by your progress on 5x5, your squats and DLs are going to be pushing the boundary soon enough.

You'll find that the majority opinion here is safety first, so you should definitely get a power rack if you're doing heavy barbell work (such as bench, squat, etc). I'm of the opinion that one should never "go as far as they can go" with equipment, because that can lead to problems. You want to have the utmost confidence in your gear if you are going to push yourself.

Oh, and sorry for the confusion, but the wording in your post was unclear.
    My fault, I was trying to say hello and ask a question in the same post :-) thank you for the reply anyway.

I think I may be able to return the bench to costco come to think about it.
    I feel safe and steady at the moment but you are right about pushing the boundaries on equipment.

Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Agree with Riggaman, getting a power rack and olympic setup should be your top priority. Congrats on your gains so far... but now its time to step it up!

Originally Posted by Jimbo. View Post
    Agree with Riggaman, getting a power rack and olympic setup should be your top priority. Congrats on your gains so far... but now its time to step it up!
    Yep, expensive kit though in the UK but from reading up here only way to go.

Now begins the search :-)

If you search for "power rack" and "UK" you might get some good info. I'm almost certain people have discussed websites that sell power racks in your neck of the woods.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Get a whole package of stuff from eBay.

If I had to build my gym again from scratch, I would probably do things differently. I am not even sure you need a power rack... squat stands are fine. What IS worth having is a lifting platform (constructed from plywood and rubber matting) and buying an olympic barbell with rubber plates (not rubber coated) so you can drop it from a height without any ill effects.

I might not even bother with a bench (gasp). I prefer wide grip weighted dips to bench press, I don't think it's healthy to allow your elbows to travel below your body so doing floor presses is fine.

The cage IS handy for slinging powerlifting bands over for various pressing down type exercises. It also has chinup and detatchable dip bars... but you can get dip bars and chin up bars much more cheaply than a full cage.

well I managed to get some cash together and bought myself a new power rack, a bodymax cf475 heavy rack, wanted a bodysolid one but was 4 week wait here in the uk. I have read a review on here about the cf375 which didn't get rated to well but this model seems very strong rated at 800lbs which should do me :-)

I have taken some pics of whats in the box and I am just about to build it so will take some more when finished.

I will be using with standard weights and my current bench until I can sell them on then buy a more suitable bench and olympic weights.

Was able to get hold of a york beefy standard barbell 6'6" rated at 150kg for now and will fit the rack so nearly there with setup.
    Last edited by jim1h; 05-14-2010 at 02:00 PM.

damn it I'm a noob and not allowed to upload, needless to say it was a breeze to assemble and no problems with anything missing. This is a new design from the rack advertised on powerhouse and holes are drilled all the way through the uprites so you can bench and squat outside the rack if needed. I wonder if I can use photobucket for showing pics?

HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jim1h View Post
    I wonder if I can use photobucket for showing pics?
    You can, just upload to photobucket and use the [ IMG] [/IMG ] tags (but without spaces).