ArcticJack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Training 6 months post SLAP tear operation...

Hello,

My circumstances are this – I’m a 29 year old male six months out of an operation to repair a SLAP tear on my left shoulder. I’ve had five anchors and sutures attached, some bicep repair done and something done to my shoulder as it had partially dislocated unknown to me. I’m unsure of the exact details. I have about 90% range of motion back if not a little more. I was told by my surgeon I could start weightlifting again at 6 months but to take it real slow at first to build up my shoulders strength again. On the SLAP tear forum, other posters recommend I stay away from exercises such as bench press and military press. They say definitely for the next 6 to 12 months if not for good. I’m also assuming pull ups are out of the question as those gave me the most grief when I initially hurt my shoulder. This scares me as those were my bread and butter exercises.

Before the injury (which I did whilst boxing) I did quite a lot of weight lifting. I wasn’t a power lifter I just lifted weights to try and look good and stay in shape. I was wondering if anyone on this site has any experience with this sort of situation. Could you advise me on a routine that I could start doing that would acknowledge my shoulder weakness, but give me a way to work around it? I’m not looking to rush things, and I see the next twelve months as basically rehabilitation back into the world of weightlifting. Hopefully someone with knowledge of this injury can give me some advice.

Regards,

Bernard.

FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Benard. Welcome to the forum. I'm on the SLAPtear forum as well. I read your story there but can't give advice, as I'm less than 2 weeks out of surgery. Wishing you luck my friend and please keep posting your results for the rest of us

jfiercly is on a distinguished road. (+10) jfiercly is on a distinguished road. (+10) jfiercly is on a distinguished road. (+10) jfiercly is on a distinguished road. (+10) jfiercly is on a distinguished road. (+10) jfiercly is on a distinguished road. (+10) jfiercly is on a distinguished road. (+10) jfiercly is on a distinguished road. (+10) jfiercly is on a distinguished road. (+10) jfiercly is on a distinguished road. (+10) jfiercly is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have had both shoulders repaired surgically, right 2 years ago, and left 4 months ago. Because of my 2 shoulder surgeries, I don't bench with heavy weight anymore. There are many other exercises for chest besides flat bench. I know that it will re-aggrevate my shoulder and cause additional pain w/ possibly more surgeries. So, I stopped flat bench. But, I have found out that doing dumb bell bench and the hammer strength chest machines don't aggravate my shoulders. I just use proper form and still get the same results.
    "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever."

"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young."