BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Angry My roommate is ignorant...but I am worried about him

So I am out of commission (no lifting for 3 weeks); however, I am still eating strong =). I figure since I have been going the last eight weeks strong I will use this time to recoup a bit. He told me I was going to get fat =/. My roommate does not exercise AT ALL! He is overweight, however he is cutting down by eating roughly 500 cals a day and taking Alli (he tries to hide it but I started noticing everytime he would eat something he would go to his room shuffle a pill bottle and down some water..then I actually saw the bottle). It all started about 3 months ago when a mutual friend started being a dips**t and calling him fat all the time...my guess is he got self-conscious about it. He is about 5'6" 165-175. I have tried to preach the goodness that is food, yet he thinks the answer to getting skinny is to pretty much stop eating. Anyone have any good sources I can show him or ways of approaching him without being offensive or intrusive. I am a bit worried about him. He used to be very energetic and jovial, now he is always tired and depressed.

followme is on a distinguished road. (+10) followme is on a distinguished road. (+10) followme is on a distinguished road. (+10) followme is on a distinguished road. (+10) followme is on a distinguished road. (+10) followme is on a distinguished road. (+10) followme is on a distinguished road. (+10) followme is on a distinguished road. (+10) followme is on a distinguished road. (+10) followme is on a distinguished road. (+10) followme is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Invite him to work out with you. As he plays around with the weights, make some suggestions... casually mention that you'd be willing to set up a program for him.
    My Starting Strength journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=476695911#post476695911

I'm a video editor! | See my latest videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/thejapanesechallenge

BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BKLaw is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by followme View Post
    Invite him to work out with you. As he plays around with the weights, make some suggestions... casually mention that you'd be willing to set up a program for him.
    That is a good idea, the only problem I face is actually getting him off his butt. usually it goes something like Me: "hey roomie I can get guests in for free at the gym, wanna tag a long?" Him: "nah dude i've got way too much to do (joint in one hand family guy in the background)"

DARIU5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DARIU5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DARIU5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DARIU5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DARIU5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DARIU5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DARIU5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DARIU5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DARIU5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DARIU5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DARIU5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Tell him that if he's serious about transforming his body so he doesn't look like his idol, Peter Griffin, then he needs to get off his butt and do what it really takes to lose fat, exercise and eat correctly. Tell him he's not going to get very far with his current method and if he's truly serious, and doesn't want to waste time as he is now... then he needs to listen to you.

SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Switch his Alli pills with birth control pills.

cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    tell him that he will lose as much fat as he wants at 500 cals a day

but he will also lose muscle. so once he reaches his ideal body, and goes back to his old eating habits, he will gain it all back, and then some, since his BMR is now lowered, from the muscle loss

tell him he needs to eat 150 grams of protein a day. that should be about 600 cals. this would be PSMF and it sounds perfect for him

also tell him to ditch alli, that **** is garbage.
    Vegan

"there are ZERO conclusive and definitive peer-reviewed studies proving detrimental effects of phytoestrogens in dietary soy intake"

addictR3 is a name known to all. (+5000) addictR3 is a name known to all. (+5000) addictR3 is a name known to all. (+5000) addictR3 is a name known to all. (+5000) addictR3 is a name known to all. (+5000) addictR3 is a name known to all. (+5000) addictR3 is a name known to all. (+5000) addictR3 is a name known to all. (+5000) addictR3 is a name known to all. (+5000) addictR3 is a name known to all. (+5000) addictR3 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    sometimes its best just to leave things as they are.. if he really wants to change he will.. I'd just keep up with your routine, hopefully your results will motivate him to change.
    - If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

My log - The Hungry Cyclist - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168824473&page=1

thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000) thatashguy is just really nice. (+1000)
    get him on the forums and show him some transformations~ they're are what motivated me and keep insisting for him to come train with you. although when my friends ask me to go train with them i tend to say no, just because i feel out of place even though i know most of the people at the gym are there for the same reason. just takes time.
    if you give me reps i will fap.

BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000) BadWog is just really nice. (+1000)
    Excuse my ignorance, but wtf is Alli?

I would offer advice OP, but everything I would say has already been said by other posters.
    It's being a part of the Red, White and Green that makes me a Rooting Machine. And when you feel my mighty Stallion, you will know you have been with a true Italian. :D

Edit Dec 2009: ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I was gay when I was 15.

Originally Posted by BadWog View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but wtf is Alli?

I would offer advice OP, but everything I would say has already been said by other posters.
    Thanks for the help guys...to answer your question, it's a weight loss pill. I am not sure how it works entirely, but from what I gather you basically s**t out a great deal of what you take in...He eats something and then heads to the john almost immediately.

selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000)

This

If a healthy lifestyle isn't within him.....Nothing you say or do is gonna change that....Continue to work on yourself and maybe....just maybe....He'll see your gains and want to workout with you.....Self
    While liftin duh weights I yell out..."You sexy beast"...."Squeeze metal for papa".

Registered User LiftHardOrDie22's Avatar
    LiftHardOrDie22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftHardOrDie22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftHardOrDie22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftHardOrDie22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftHardOrDie22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftHardOrDie22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftHardOrDie22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftHardOrDie22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftHardOrDie22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftHardOrDie22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftHardOrDie22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Get your boy off that Alli. He is tired and feels like **** because it is depleting his body of all his minerals and vitamins. Alli can be a very dangerous product if not used correctly. At the very least, make sure he is taking a multivitamin, he really needs it with that product. Just because it is approved by the FDA does not make it safe.
    "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a shame it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable" Socrates

NASM CPT, CES, PES Certified
    TRX Suspension Training Certified