Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Rozlyn27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by juliacheh View Post
    Thanks, I have no idea LOL. I never had my body fat measured. I worked out for a few months but had no idea about nutrition, then I registered on this board and read about bulking and cutting. I bulked for a few months, and then cut. I'm not sure if I'll do another bulk/cut cycle or just try to gain muscle over time.
    Wow! You look incredible!

Good for you!!! Seriously, that's awesome!
    Strive for more.

MyFitnessPal - Rozlyn1708

BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the pics Julia. WOW you've changed! I bet you were holding your stomach in like all get out in the first pic too, haha (been there, done that). You looked good then but sooo much better now, imho of course.

Originally Posted by kate920 View Post
    The first time I had ever heard the term skinny/fat was when I came on bodyspace and saw it on Fern Assard's profile:
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/MsFitness/

I could totally relate to her before pictures and again feel strongly that it is a label that is purely subjective. I don't think it has anything to do with percentages (of body fat). Regardless, it's always going to boil down to how you feel about yourself.

On a personal note, the word "fat" is considered the "F word" in my house, and I don't allow anyone to use it. It's very derogatory. My opinion of myself being "fat" or "skinny fat" was one I had left in my head and didn't say out loud.

I'd love to see these forums stay supportive and encouraging rather than turning into this kind of mess where everyone's arguing. Of course we're always going to have our own opinions. That's what makes it interesting, and unless someone is actually attacking someone personally, I think it should be left alone as just another opinion.
    Agree with this almost entirely. However, at a certain level, fat is fat -- the "label" isn't derogatory at all in such cases, but accurate and descriptive. On the other hand, I've never called anyone fat in my life and don't go around giving my personal opinion about how people look except to say something positive -- otherwise I try to keep my big mouth shut!

For me, the Kristin Stewart pic is the best example of "skinny-fat" (I'm so old I have no idea who the heck she is ). And "skinny-fat" is just about the most succinct, accurate description for that look. "Skinny-flabby" might work, but I doubt she would be happy with that one either. Bottom line is neither "fat" nor "flabby" is a good thing, and pretty much everyone on this bodybuilding site is talking about a look we don't like and don't want for ourselves. In fact, we are working our a$$es off NOT to look like that! If someone wants affirmation that they look good with higher (yet within normal ranges of) bodyfat and almost no muscle, this is probably the last place in the world they should look for it. BUT someone trying to transform themselves will find loads of support and encouragement here, along with good information, advice, and honest opinions about progress.

ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here's how I see it:

I'm 6'0" and my upper arms are about 11.5 inches around. My waist is about 28 inches. I weigh 152. I got dunked recently and my BF% is 17.5. I have some pretty serious muscle definition, especially on my upper body (but I don't claim to be ripped or stage-ready).

My best friend is 5'11". Her arms are visibly smaller in circumference than mine... maybe 10 inches around. Her waist is 26 or 27 inches. She barely weighs 140. Her body fat is 23% (measured with calipers by a competent trainer... even with the margins of error, her % is higher than mine). So, on a similar height frame, her overall silhouette is smaller, her limbs are thinner, and the total mass of her body is lower.

So, with our significantly different stats and overall appearances, which of us has the better claim to being "skinny?" Me, because I have less body fat (as a percentage, and also overall... 27.75# vs 32#)? Her, because she weighs less, has a lower BMI, and "looks smaller" overall? Who has the better claim to being "fat?" Me, because I weigh more overall and have larger measurements? Her, because there's more fat ON HER BODY, despite being generally slender?

Thus, I think the definition of "skinny-fat" really hinges on how one defines each of the two component words. Does "skinny" mean having a low body fat %, or having a low BMI and small, circumferentially thin limbs? Does being "fatter" than someone (using "fatter" here because neither of us is objectively "fat" in the sense of medically overweight or obese) mean weighing more than them at the same height, or does it mean having fat as a more prevalent "ingredient" in your body makeup?
    Sketchy Dude Outside Museum: "Yo, I'm selling candy for my basketball team..."
    Boyfriend: "No thanks, dude."
    SDOM: "You sure you don't want one for the pretty lady?"
    Ives: "The pretty lady doesn't eat candy. That's how she got so pretty."

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Skinny fat - A person who is thin and carries a higher percentage of body fat.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trae15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm skinny fat - Freebirdmac is totally right on!!

the pics posted earlier of those 3 young girls....(they look good to me cuz they are young and firm) they aren't riddled w/ globby fat - age has something to account for as well...

I personally wouldn't classify a 20 somthing who obviously looks good (youthful) a skinny fat girl - but that is just me...

When I hear the term skinny-fat i get a visual of someone who has obvious fat under the skin those young girls are still smooth ..........not lumpy

BUT THAT IS MY OPINION and how i visualize skinnyfat...

**please dont argue w/ me or pick at my opinion i WONT argue back** lmao

varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10) varukers is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    When i think of skinny-fat, Lindsay Lohan comes to mind lol. Someone who is "thin/small" but does not look good.

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by juliacheh View Post
    I posted it in a different thread already.
    Same weight - 118 pounds, different body composition. I consider myself skinny fat in the first picture - low weight, higher body fat, lack of muscle mass.

call me mad but i think you look well-proportioned in the pic.

it's not the bb.com ideal, but nothing wrong with it either from an aesthetic point of view.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    call me mad but i think you look well-proportioned in the pic.

it's not the bb.com ideal, but nothing wrong with it either from an aesthetic point of view.
    Sure, I see what you mean, but I wasn't happy the way i looked and the way I felt.

I am not really trying to achieve any bb.com ideal right now, I am quite happy with the way I look, although I am not ripped by any means.

CthulhuKraken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Skinny-fat is like me: I weigh 113 lbs and have over 23% bodyfat. True story, bro.
    If I leave the gym looking as pretty as I went in, I didn't work out hard enough.

kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10)

My 2 cents

I have to say this is one thing that has bothered me about these forums. I'm glad to hear that many of you do not mean "skinny-fat" as an insult when you use it, but face it... you're combining "skinny" and "fat", both of which are insults, into one word and saying it's NOT an insult. I'm not buying it. Surely there are kinder ways to refer to less muscular women. I'm not trying to point fingers, but just because you've always said it doesn't mean it's right. Re-evaluate!

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kravda View Post
    I have to say this is one thing that has bothered me about these forums. I'm glad to hear that many of you do not mean "skinny-fat" as an insult when you use it, but face it... you're combining "skinny" and "fat", both of which are insults, into one word and saying it's NOT an insult. I'm not buying it. Surely there are kinder ways to refer to less muscular women. I'm not trying to point fingers, but just because you've always said it doesn't mean it's right. Re-evaluate!
    Uh, no. It's a highly descriptive term that's very accurate. Skinny fat is exactly how it sounds. You're skinny with high body fat. Any word can be used to demean. If you personally want to banish the words skinny and fat from your vocabulary, go for it. You'd be better off learning how to discern the difference between an insult and a factual description.

Many of us, myself included, came here knowing something was off. Discovering the term skinny-fat was like having a lightbulb come on. Finally an explanation as to why further fat loss was not working as well as a path to the bodies we wanted.

Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I agree freebirdmac. Skinny fat person checking in. I don't take it as an insult because it's a fact, I was never huge but my bodyfat was high. There is no point in dancing around the truth. Saying your "less muscular with high body fat" is as much of an insult. Personally I'd rather be called skinny... even with the fat added, because that seems more appealing than "less muscular".

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Botika View Post
    I agree freebirdmac. Skinny fat person checking in. I don't take it as an insult because it's a fact, I was never huge but my bodyfat was high. There is no point in dancing around the truth. Saying your "less muscular with high body fat" is as much of an insult. Personally I'd rather be called skinny... even with the fat added, because that seems more appealing than "less muscular".
    I don't think less muscular or not enough muscle mass for the look you want is an insult either. It is what it is.

Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yes, you are right. Sometimes when people speak the truth you don't want to hear it, doesn't make it an insult (it just is what it is).

kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10) kravda is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    Uh, no. It's a highly descriptive term that's very accurate. Skinny fat is exactly how it sounds. You're skinny with high body fat. Any word can be used to demean. If you personally want to banish the words skinny and fat from your vocabulary, go for it. You'd be better off learning how to discern the difference between an insult and a factual description.

Many of us, myself included, came here knowing something was off. Discovering the term skinny-fat was like having a lightbulb come on. Finally an explanation as to why further fat loss was not working as well as a path to the bodies we wanted.
    I see your point of view- and no, I don't call anyone skinny or fat unless they ask for an opinion, then I do try to find a better word. I've just seen it happen here in a not-so-constructive criticism kind of way. But I guess bullying can happen using any word.

I just saw that this thread is old - so sorry about that.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Skinny-fat = low BMI + high BF%.

SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    Skinny-fat = low BMI + high BF%.

really? what does the rest of that person look like?

edit: let me rephrase. if you think that's what a fat ass looks like on a woman, then you haven't seen a fat ass on a woman low lean mass, yes. fat, no.
    Last edited by Miranda; 09-21-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    really? what does the rest of that person look like?

edit: let me rephrase. if you think that's what a fat ass looks like on a woman, then you haven't seen a fat ass on a woman low lean mass, yes. fat, no.
    No idea what the rest of her looks like. That's just what came up when I punched skinny fat into google images. The emphasis is that there's not much there, but what is there is primarily fat. She doesn't have a "fat" arse, but the only arse she has is made of her bodyfat. It's probably not the best example, because it is kind of extreme.

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

No idea what the rest of her looks like. That's just what came up when I punched skinny fat into google images. The emphasis is that there's not much there, but what is there is primarily fat. She doesn't have a "fat" arse, but the only arse she has is made of her bodyfat. It's probably not the best example, because it is kind of extreme.
    it's not a good example imo because if, supposedly, that's one end of a spectrum, then how attainable (or realistic) would the opposite be?

i mean, how many women can say their arse is primarily muscle?

it's not a good example imo because if, supposedly, that's one end of a spectrum, then how attainable (or realistic) would the opposite be?

i mean, how many women can say their arse is primarily muscle?
    The polar opposite would be very difficult to attain. A girl of about the same body size at the extreme opposite is probably on a stage competing as a bikini model. But I'm not seeing how the opposite of the example I gave (or its attainability) is relevant.

The polar opposite would be very difficult to attain. A girl of about the same body size at the extreme opposite is probably on a stage competing as a bikini model. But I'm not seeing how the opposite of the example I gave (or its attainability) is relevant.
    It's a reasonable example. The saggy bottom is good giveaway. Add some muscle and you can lift that thing up. There have been lots of women here who would have been close to her body fat and muscle percentages. There have been lots of women who were still skinny yet carrying quite a bit more body fat.

I don't know how polar opposite got into this either. Skinny has a good range.

Polar opposite entered the discussion (at least I thought it did) when Miranda said this: "that's one end of a spectrum, then how attainable (or realistic) would the opposite be?"

I agree, adding some muscle would do wonders for the girl in the picture.

well, i found it odd you'd opine the fact her arse is primarily fat as some kind of argument about the woman being 'skinny-fat'.

it is quite common for women to hold a lot of bodyfat in their rear, without necessarily being fat or skinny-fat (low BMI/high BF%). you can be very lean and defined everywhere else yet have a lardy ass. it's a bodyfat distribution issue confounded by women's naturally higher BF levels.

if anything, it's a skinny arse. as you said, add some muscle without adding any fat, and it'd be a great arse, not a fat arse.

i can see how the 'polar opposite' slipped in the discussion as it is easier to define one's terms by using extremes. but if having more muscle than fat in one's glutes would be the deal, here's an extreme rear that is primarily muscle:

Last edited by Miranda; 09-22-2012 at 12:19 PM.

She's skinny, and of what can be seen, she's made of bones and fat. Therefore, she's skinny-fat, or at very least her arse is. The point is, what's within the picture is a representation of "skinny-fat." You seem to be either moving the goal-posts with every post you make, or missing the point that to be skinny-fat is to be both skinny and fat at the same time, so, with nothing further to say, I'll bow out now.

Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Can we take a reality check please?

Essential fat 10–13%
    Athletes 14–20%
    Fitness 21–24%
    Average 25–31%
    Obese 32%+

The ladies here calling 22% body fat 'skinny fat' clearly lack any sense of perspective outside of the bodybuilding world. In my profile pic I am 23% fat. Does that look skinny fat to you? No. I would also point out that I lost my period due to low body fat (not low actual weight) at 22% fat.

Calling people with BELOW AVERAGE levels of body fat 'skinny fat' is just ridiculous. That's just skinny-skinny, if you are below average fat (by which the chart means aspirational average) and below average weight. If you're talking about skinny-fat for a fitness model, ok fair enough, then we can maybe classify 20%+ body fat as skinny-fat, if that person is also of a lower than average weight. I would put myself in that category at 18.6% fat and 110lbs at 5'1 because I have a lot of muscle building to do and I look flabby in the midsection due to lack of muscles in my back and core.

Originally Posted by happyplace View Post
    Can we take a reality check please?

Essential fat 10–13%
    Athletes 14–20%
    Fitness 21–24%
    Average 25–31%
    Obese 32%+

The ladies here calling 22% body fat 'skinny fat' clearly lack any sense of perspective outside of the bodybuilding world. In my profile pic I am 23% fat. Does that look skinny fat to you? No. I would also point out that I lost my period due to low body fat (not low actual weight) at 22% fat.

Calling people with BELOW AVERAGE levels of body fat 'skinny fat' is just ridiculous. That's just skinny-skinny, if you are below average fat (by which the chart means aspirational average) and below average weight. If you're talking about skinny-fat for a fitness model, ok fair enough, then we can maybe classify 20%+ body fat as skinny-fat, if that person is also of a lower than average weight. I would put myself in that category at 18.6% fat and 110lbs at 5'1 because I have a lot of muscle building to do and I look flabby in the midsection due to lack of muscles in my back and core.
    You've aren't understanding the term. No one would tell the girl in the picture to lose body fat. But that's exactly what most women who come here think they need to do. A lot of women come here with 25% or more body fat, are normal weight, skinny, and fit the skinny-fat profile. But you are leaving out the second half of the equation. Muscle! The girl in the picture is under muscled which over inflates her body fat percentage. As it does for women at 25%. It's skinny-fat. You can easily be of a low body fat percentage and be skinny-fat. That does not mean you need to lose body fat.

Skinny-fat is not an insult, it's not an admonition to lose body fat or even gain muscle. This is a body building forum. Women come here with a certain physique in mind. Usually women come here conditioned since birth to change their physique via diet and cardio. And they do not like how they look. If they are of normal or below weight it's usually because they are skinny-fat. They lack the needed muscle mass to get the physique they want. They do not have the genetics of a Victoria Secret model to carry it off.

Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You've aren't understanding the term. No one would tell the girl in the picture to lose body fat. But that's exactly what most women who come here think they need to do. A lot of women come here with 25% or more body fat, are normal weight, skinny, and fit the skinny-fat profile. But you are leaving out the second half of the equation. Muscle! The girl in the picture is under muscled which over inflates her body fat percentage. As it does for women at 25%. It's skinny-fat. You can easily be of a low body fat percentage and be skinny-fat. That does not mean you need to lose body fat.

Skinny-fat is not an insult, it's not an admonition to lose body fat or even gain muscle. This is a body building forum. Women come here with a certain physique in mind. Usually women come here conditioned since birth to change their physique via diet and cardio. And they do not like how they look. If they are of normal or below weight it's usually because they are skinny-fat. They lack the needed muscle mass to get the physique they want. They do not have the genetics of a Victoria Secret model to carry it off.
    So you say that skinny-fat is defined as someone who lacks adequate lbs of muscle mass. Their body fat % is not how it's measured.

Isn't anyone who falls into that category either going to have a higher than desirable body fat %, or else be just plain old skinny and lacking both muscle AND fat?

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think a little perspective is being lost here. The term and how it is applied is subjective (everyone's opinion will vary a bit). Exact numbers are arbitrary and meaningless BECAUSE of the subjective nature. So yes, some who is lean/fit will have a completely different on the subject vs someone is obese, vs someone who is average etc.

IMO, for the sake of simplicity, it's low lean mass in relation to BMI, and will most likely be weaker then the average untrained individual.

Originally Posted by happyplace View Post
    So you say that skinny-fat is defined as someone who lacks adequate lbs of muscle mass. Their body fat % is not how it's measured.

Isn't anyone who falls into that category either going to have a higher than desirable body fat %, or else be just plain old skinny and lacking both muscle AND fat?
    It's a combination of both body fat and muscle. It's about proportions. You could be low on both body fat and muscle (as the girl in the pict may be), or high on body fat and low on muscle (as I was when I started). However, the low-low is still considered skinny-fat due to proportions, not absolute body fat numbers.

dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You've aren't understanding the term.
    Actually, she's understanding the term very well. The real, original, medical use of the term "skinny-fat" was to refer to those people who were at health risk because they had *above normal* bodyfat % while at the same time falling into the normal range in BMI, generally because they have excess visceral fat around their organs which is no bueno. This is also termed "metabolically obese/normal weight." You have to have a bodyfat % that falls into the obese category to actually be considered skinny-fat under the real definition of that term.

However, it's been co-opted by the media and the fitness industry and posters on internet message boards such that now anyone who's a normal weight and normal bodyfat% but isn't "toned" (or even ripped :eyeroll: ) is being called skinny-fat. Silly. We *could* just tell these women who complain that they aren't "toned" in their bikinis even though they're at a normal weight and normal bodyfat (i.e. neither skinny nor fat) that what they are is under-muscled but I guess that's not as snappy/catchy as skinny-fat.
    "Eat some oatmeal, do some squats, how hard is that seriously."--Prof Ham
    ..............................................................................
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers
    ...............................................................................
    For the lulz and an occasional intelligent thought, plus pics:

http://musclemilkisnotaeuphemism.blogspot.com/