Cutting to 15% then bulk! Leni_Pocky's Avatar
    Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Reinforcing door frame for pull up bar

I recently bought one of the Iron Gym Extreme pull up bars to hang in my door frame (intending to use it for my cycle of P90X which I WANTED to start this week but can't due to lack of a pull up bar...), but ran into a snag. I neglected to take into consideration the top door trim that the black part of the bar relies on to help hold up the load - I live in a trailer so of course everything in the house is crap quality, and I could see the door trim flexing with little effort. I'm considering finding the studs, ripping the stupid trim piece off, and screwing a 1x4 onto the studs to fix the problem. Would that be sufficient? Could I get away with using a strip of MDF? (I have some scraps laying around from a furniture project) My doorway is right by a corner and I really don't want to find out the hard way that my pull up bar wasn't secured well enough and hurt myself.

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Total-Upp...1056093&sr=8-1 The type of bar in question.
    Cut for June Challenge:
    4/12 - 236, 25%
    4/19 - 235, 24.7%
    4/26 - 235, 24.5% (water retention?)
    5/10 -
    5/17 -
    5/24 -
    6/1 - Goal of 224

Ultimate Goal- 220/15% BF and condition for Freshman year at The Citadel

xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    id try the 1x4's but you might need to make the whole frame out of them (and personally I'd do 2x4 instead, but I dont really know how well that would fit)
    ()---() York Barbell Club #37 ()---()

thatkidkengo will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatkidkengo will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatkidkengo will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatkidkengo will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatkidkengo will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatkidkengo will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatkidkengo will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatkidkengo will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatkidkengo will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatkidkengo will become famous soon enough. (+50) thatkidkengo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Leni_Pocky View Post
    I recently bought one of the Iron Gym Extreme pull up bars to hang in my door frame (intending to use it for my cycle of P90X which I WANTED to start this week but can't due to lack of a pull up bar...), but ran into a snag. I neglected to take into consideration the top door trim that the black part of the bar relies on to help hold up the load - I live in a trailer so of course everything in the house is crap quality, and I could see the door trim flexing with little effort. I'm considering finding the studs, ripping the stupid trim piece off, and screwing a 1x4 onto the studs to fix the problem. Would that be sufficient? Could I get away with using a strip of MDF? (I have some scraps laying around from a furniture project) My doorway is right by a corner and I really don't want to find out the hard way that my pull up bar wasn't secured well enough and hurt myself.

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Total-Upp...1056093&sr=8-1 The type of bar in question.
    the bar pivots against both sides of the door frame and doesn't really rely on the top trim piece that youre talking about. my friend is using the iron gym and the top trim is like 5-6 inches tall; too tall for it to rest on it properly. so its just sitting on a 1/4" lip on that top trim piece and works fine; and he does some bad form leg swinging pullups

Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leni_Pocky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by thatkidkengo View Post
    the bar pivots against both sides of the door frame and doesn't really rely on the top trim piece that youre talking about. my friend is using the iron gym and the top trim is like 5-6 inches tall; too tall for it to rest on it properly. so its just sitting on a 1/4" lip on that top trim piece and works fine; and he does some bad form leg swinging pullups
    I'm well aware that the trim piece is just there to hold the bar in place and doesn't really hold any of the weight (or shouldn't). The problem is that what little force is put on the trim piece is allowing the bar to slide and I'm afraid the bar is going to slip out. Maybe I'll play around with it tomorrow when my parents are awake/aren't home so that if I break the trim piece I don't piss them off with the noise, but I'm highly considering putting a 1x4 there to keep the bar from sliding down the frame. The frame itself is strong enough to hold the lateral force from the pivot...
    Cut for June Challenge:
    4/12 - 236, 25%
    4/19 - 235, 24.7%
    5/10 -
    5/17 -
    5/24 -
    6/1 - Goal of 224

So after playing with it today, I have concluded the trim piece is just flexing from what little force is on it. Cheap trailer junk... I'm still going to replace the trim, probably just with a 1x2, it'll make me feel safer even if it's unnecessary.
    Cut for June Challenge:
    4/12 - 236, 25%
    4/19 - 235, 24.7%
    5/10 -
    5/17 -
    5/24 -
    6/1 - Goal of 224