Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    lindswic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks! I use the Army standard bodyfat measurements. Its good to know that they are somewhat accurate.

fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000) fihe is just really nice. (+1000)
    I got my BF measured with a BIA at the doctor 2-3 weeks ago and came in at 25.4%. Since then, I've used calipers at home, although I'm not 100% sure that I measured myself properly. With the 3-point measurement I got a result of 20.4%, and the 7-point gave me 21.8%. However, I feel like 25% is probably what I'm at right now. If the caliper test had me measuring my inner or outer thigh, I think my BF% would turn out to be much higher.

I'd love to do BodPod but there are no locations in my state that do it
    Make Fihe Not Fat Again.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by fihe View Post
    I got my BF measured with a BIA at the doctor 2-3 weeks ago and came in at 25.4%. Since then, I've used calipers at home, although I'm not 100% sure that I measured myself properly. With the 3-point measurement I got a result of 20.4%, and the 7-point gave me 21.8%. However, I feel like 25% is probably what I'm at right now. If the caliper test had me measuring my inner or outer thigh, I think my BF% would turn out to be much higher.

I'd love to do BodPod but there are no locations in my state that do it
    Neither the BIA or the calipers are going to be very accurate. Bottom line is, if it jiggles, it's fat. If you have too much jiggle, diet down to a healthy reasonable weight. If you don't look the way you want at that weight, likely you do not have enough muscle and will need to dedicate some serious time to bulking.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Jazzyjewellery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Calipers give you a good rough estimate. DEXA is the most accurate but it measures both visceral and sub-cutaneous fat so readings are a bit higher. Ex. I got around 28% on calipers vs. almost 38% with DEXA (10% difference!).

slmartucci will become famous soon enough. (+50) slmartucci will become famous soon enough. (+50) slmartucci will become famous soon enough. (+50) slmartucci will become famous soon enough. (+50) slmartucci will become famous soon enough. (+50) slmartucci will become famous soon enough. (+50) slmartucci will become famous soon enough. (+50) slmartucci will become famous soon enough. (+50) slmartucci will become famous soon enough. (+50) slmartucci will become famous soon enough. (+50) slmartucci will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jazzy********* View Post
    Calipers give you a good rough estimate. DEXA is the most accurate but it measures both visceral and sub-cutaneous fat so readings are a bit higher. Ex. I got around 28% on calipers vs. almost 38% with DEXA (10% difference!).
    Wait... you're 5'2, 118lbs and 38% body fat? how???

chloematilds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chloematilds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chloematilds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chloematilds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chloematilds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chloematilds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chloematilds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chloematilds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chloematilds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chloematilds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chloematilds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    body calipers at home says 24.7%. Online calculators using measurements say I;m 25%...so I guess it's around that percentage?

SARA1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

god

SnowVioletta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SnowVioletta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SnowVioletta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SnowVioletta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SnowVioletta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SnowVioletta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SnowVioletta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SnowVioletta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SnowVioletta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SnowVioletta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SnowVioletta has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I used to have bookmarked a useful web tool for calculating BF. Can't seem to find it anymore.

SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Jazzy********* View Post
    There seems to be a gender distinction with this that i've seen. As a male I usually come in at 3-4% less with dexa testing compared to bodpod and military tape testing. My wife comes in at about 13% higher on the dexa testing. I've seen similar results with a few other male & female friends

Originally Posted by slmartucci View Post
    Wait... you're 5'2, 118lbs and 38% body fat? how???
    Dexa testing is very accurate but the inclusion of visceral fat brings about much different results compared to all other forms of BF testing. The result percentages really cant be compared to the results of other forms of testing or what we normally think of in the terms of a specific BF% looking a specific way. If you have multiple dexa tests done though there great for comparing to each other.
    Disabled Combat Veteran (11B)
    My Home Gym Thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160414931

YogaKitteh is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogaKitteh is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogaKitteh is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogaKitteh is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogaKitteh is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogaKitteh is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogaKitteh is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogaKitteh is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogaKitteh is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogaKitteh is on a distinguished road. (+10) YogaKitteh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I used the bodyspace suggestion for a plan and it told me that based on my height, weight & age, that my body fat is 13%. The woman in the photo certainly looks similar to me, but I thought 13% was reeeeally low? I thought that's when a woman starts to lose her period?

I had estimated myself at 22% prior to that, but then I don't know what I'm doing & perhaps I overestimated my body fat. I thought a VS model type of body would be about 20% and I'd be a little jigglier.

I looked through the other photo options & the woman who looked the most like me was now listed as 15% (but the same photo...?), and so I chose it, still thinking it is ludicrous. I likely have more of a butt than the woman in the photo has, but I'm not sure how much that would affect the BF%.

So now it has given me advice to lose 5 lbs, but also to INCREASE my body fat & lose lean body mass. This seems counter-intuitive to me... I would like to be thin (as I already am), but with firmer thighs/butt, even if that means they get a bit bigger in order to become firmer. I'm not looking to lose or gain overall size or totally transform my shape, just to get firmer. So this means losing fat & gaining muscle, right? Or at least gaining muscle? This "advice" given seems so off to me...

emhernan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) emhernan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) emhernan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) emhernan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) emhernan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) emhernan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) emhernan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) emhernan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) emhernan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) emhernan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) emhernan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    great post!

dreadiechic will become famous soon enough. (+50) dreadiechic will become famous soon enough. (+50) dreadiechic will become famous soon enough. (+50) dreadiechic will become famous soon enough. (+50) dreadiechic will become famous soon enough. (+50) dreadiechic will become famous soon enough. (+50) dreadiechic will become famous soon enough. (+50) dreadiechic will become famous soon enough. (+50) dreadiechic will become famous soon enough. (+50) dreadiechic will become famous soon enough. (+50) dreadiechic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm so confused by body fat percents despite reading all I can on here! I did a measurement calculation, the army one or navy one something like that. And the one on here. They both came up at 18 % but I find it hard to believe its that low since I've gained five pounds in two months, only one of which could be lean muscle right?

EmilyGMckay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmilyGMckay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmilyGMckay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmilyGMckay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmilyGMckay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EmilyGMckay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great post...Really gave me a good idea for what my body fat % goal is

corritaylor82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corritaylor82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corritaylor82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corritaylor82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corritaylor82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corritaylor82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corritaylor82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corritaylor82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corritaylor82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corritaylor82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) corritaylor82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post

Body Fat Categories for Women:
    8-12% - Essential Fat
    13-20% - Athletic Fat Levels
    21-24% - Fitness Fat Levels
    25-31% - Acceptable Fat Levels
    >32% - Obese
    Great post, going to update my BF% goal now!
    "True enjoyment comes from activity of the mind and exercise of the body; the two are ever united."

- Humboldt

“You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.”

- Maya Angelou

BcoolNgreat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Body Fat

Great post with all the information! Learnt so much. How do I reduce belly fat? I am 5 foot,2 inches.
    Keep fit, look great and feel good.

-Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Needed somewhere to unload this pic and this seems like the ideal place

Attached Images
    old broken soldier
    ACPT, NSCA
    Hughumanity.org
    Remembering the fallen

Stasher1 - Reps owed

-Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by lindswic View Post
    Thanks! I use the Army standard bodyfat measurements. Its good to know that they are somewhat accurate.
    Army body fat measurements are not accurate, they're to calculate BMI based on simple measurements. Definitely not a good way to measure BF or even BMI IMO.
    Electronic handheld measurements are also not a great way to measure BF. If you're dehydrated your BF will be lower, drink 2 cups of water and try again and you just gained a couple % BF
    Honestly, the best way to measure BF at hope is with calipers. It can be a bit hard to measure yourself but it will be the most accurate. The more points you hit the more accurate the count will be
    old broken soldier
    ACPT, NSCA
    Hughumanity.org
    Remembering the fallen

Stasher1 - Reps owed

trailmeeks will become famous soon enough. (+50) trailmeeks will become famous soon enough. (+50) trailmeeks will become famous soon enough. (+50) trailmeeks will become famous soon enough. (+50) trailmeeks will become famous soon enough. (+50) trailmeeks will become famous soon enough. (+50) trailmeeks will become famous soon enough. (+50) trailmeeks will become famous soon enough. (+50) trailmeeks will become famous soon enough. (+50) trailmeeks will become famous soon enough. (+50) trailmeeks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    @fihe - have you checked at any local colleges? Usually larger universities with good kinesiology departments have a bodpod or even hydrostatic weighing. My local college has both and I'm in Idaho....can't believe you wouldn't have one in NJ! It's not listed with the regular bodpod site either - probably because it's cheaper and they don't get a cut? Who knows.

But if you're really wanting to know a good BF baseline that's somewhat accurate, its a great starting point and not too expensive ($35, $65 respectively in ID). Then I just use my at home Omron to track general changes (because it's usually off a few %).

I've actually had better luck with electronic measurements than handhelds, although I haven't tried to do my own. The local trainers here seem so obsessed with BF that they are determined to show a downward trend, even when one doesn't really exist.
    Yesterday you said tomorrow. – Nike

ekoth09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekoth09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekoth09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekoth09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekoth09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekoth09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekoth09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekoth09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekoth09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekoth09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ekoth09 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was just wondering about this! I'm glad I came across it. Thank you.

Kitgirl21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My body fat percentage is 24.4% according to the calculator. I'm definitely not that fat I just have hips it doesn't incorporate the whole body shape.

viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Going by that pic I'm going to say I'm between 25-30% Probably closer to the 30% I'd say. I really want to get a Dexa scan!
    Attached Images
    Instagram: vicclesloveskarate
    New log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170156703&p=1416249753#post1416249753
    Old log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166758171
    Old log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157799473&highlight=Vic%27s+log

sigen92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sigen92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sigen92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sigen92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sigen92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sigen92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sigen92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sigen92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sigen92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sigen92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sigen92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the info! Super useful!

SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by viccles007 View Post
    Going by that pic I'm going to say I'm between 25-30% Probably closer to the 30% I'd say. I really want to get a Dexa scan!
    I would say around 25%. Definitely not as high as 30. Please note that dexa testing is very accurate but because they include testing both visceral and subcutaneous fat the results are different then all other testing methods. On average I come in at 4% under other testing methods such as bodpod and the dunk tank when dexa tested and my wife comes in as high as 13% over with dexa. If you want to think in the terms of comparing 23% as being average for a female and such I would suggest trying a BodPod test. There is a link in my sig for testing locations.
    Disabled Combat Veteran (11B)
    My Home Gym Thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160414931

mayako has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Does this seem accurate?

I'm 15 years old, 5'3 and 114 pounds. I've gotten my Bodyfat percentage measured on 3 different occasions (at two different gyms.) My first time I was at about 17% and then the last two times I got about 15% I'm wondering about the accuracy of this? I'm a dancer and take classes three times a week and on my off days go to the gym. Does this sound like a reasonable number to you? I saw a personal trainer once and they told me 15% bodyfat is alot?? Maybe it was because he was a guy..? But it made me feel pretty insecure, but now looking online apparently 15% in females is low?

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mayako View Post
    I'm 15 years old, 5'3 and 114 pounds. I've gotten my Bodyfat percentage measured on 3 different occasions (at two different gyms.) My first time I was at about 17% and then the last two times I got about 15% I'm wondering about the accuracy of this? I'm a dancer and take classes three times a week and on my off days go to the gym. Does this sound like a reasonable number to you? I saw a personal trainer once and they told me 15% bodyfat is alot?? Maybe it was because he was a guy..? But it made me feel pretty insecure, but now looking online apparently 15% in females is low?
    Firstly - 15% is very low for a female, ESPECIALLY a female who is only 15 yrs of age. The trainer at the gym doesn't know what he is talking about.
    Secondly - at 15 yrs of age the LAST thing you need to be doing is focusing on the 'number' (both in terms of body fat and in terms of your weight).
    If your bodyfat gets too low, or you restrict your diet, you put yourself at risk of SERIOUS long term health issues like failure to finish growing/ short stature, and osteoporosis and brittle bones.

As long as you're of a healthy weight and height, then being STRONG, FIT and HEALTHY.. And LIVING and ENJOYING your life is what matters.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Dexa' Scanned at 31%
    BF 36.7 pounds
    Lean 75.1 pounds
    Weight 116.6 in photo dexa 117.2 (drinking water through the day accounts for difference)

Height 59.5 inches Dexa rounded up to 60

Front

Side

Back Relaxed

Back Bikini Pose
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

Intpgawdess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My bfp% was measured in high school 4 years ago(scale method) and apparently I was at 8% but I remember, all the other girls in my class were measured between 18-30%. At the time I was 5'7.5 and 110lbs. However, I'm not sure how accurate that was because I was and still am healthy and I never had amenorrhea. I'm now just under 5'9 & 115lbs so I'd assume my bfp% is still on the low side.

MrTrambolico has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello!
    Yesterday I did a BIA thanks to a herbalife man and the result was 22,2% of body fat. According to herbalife I have a normal % of body fat, but a lot of friends said me that if I lose more weight I will be very very skinny. When I see me in the mirror I see me as skinny girl, not normal weight girl, so I don't understand.

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Intpgawdess View Post
    My bfp% was measured in high school 4 years ago(scale method) and apparently I was at 8% but I remember, all the other girls in my class were measured between 18-30%. At the time I was 5'7.5 and 110lbs. However, I'm not sure how accurate that was because I was and still am healthy and I never had amenorrhea. I'm now just under 5'9 & 115lbs so I'd assume my bfp% is still on the low side.
    That's an inaccurate method, and if you were 8% you'd be QUITE underweight, and only skin, bone, and whatever muscle tissue you had/have.

Originally Posted by MrTrambolico View Post
    Hello!
    Yesterday I did a BIA thanks to a herbalife man and the result was 22,2% of body fat. According to herbalife I have a normal % of body fat, but a lot of friends said me that if I lose more weight I will be very very skinny. When I see me in the mirror I see me as skinny girl, not normal weight girl, so I don't understand.
    Are you saying the bpf seems high for your weight? At 5'9" and 121lbs I was around 22-23% but since any extra weight was almost all fat, I was fat despite being skinny. Ever hear the phrase "skinny fat?" That's what that is, not much extra weight, but all fat tissue.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

tkdsteph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

DEXA results and photos

Got a DEXA scan done recently - came out at 19% body fat. I'm pretty new to this whole process and wanted something close to a baseline (I've been watching my diet for about 9 months and working out routinely for about 4 months). Flexed in the first 3 photos, relaxed in the last photo. It was hard to find many photos of women who had DEXA measurements, so I wanted to contribute mine.
    Attached Images