sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Grip strength and mixed grip deadlifts

Hey guys!

How is everyone? I've been more into lifting and off the running lately, and I want to seriously concentrate on getting stronger with squats, deadlifts, and bench--just basic strength.

I'm training 3 x per week full-body and kind of cobbling together my own thing. But I noticed something. I can pull quite a bit more with mixed grip. When I use regular grip on deadlifts my hands give out at around 155, but 175 mixed grip is comparatively easy. Thus, I have not been using mixed grip at all--reasoning that it will force my grip strength to improve. But it's not really. I've also got some really raw calluses (one ripped open, ow, kept lifting anyway).

Should I be using mixed grip or just try to power through with regular overhand? How to strengthen grip? Plate pinches? I have some of those squeezer thingies at home, but I'm dubious...
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Even the strongest people in the world will at some point have to switch from double overhand to either mixed, hook, or overhand with straps. The problem with double overhand is that the bar wants to roll around, so it's not really a problem with you so much as it is the nature of the grip.

I'd go as far as you can with double overhand, then switch to one of the others. Do the same with other grip-taxing work, for example you might do barbell rows without straps as much as possible, then add straps when needed. You can also work your grip separately with things like plate pinches, farmers walks and static holds (hold a heavy deadlift at the top for as long as possible kind of thing), but honestly unless it's really a huge issue and holding you back, your grip will continue to strengthen itself just working out as described above. Good luck!

sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks! I'll try this out tomorrow when I next deadlift and report in.

I'd love to figure out hook grip, but I don't have particularly long thumbs and it's really hard to make it work. I'll try that again next time, though--apparently it's like some magical solution. I don't want to constantly use mixed grip because I'm wary of causing imbalances--I favor my right side naturally.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I don't really see the point in hook grip unless you want to compete (or unless you're doing cleans). Your basically using your thumb as the strap, so you may as well just get straps at that point.

I used mix grip personally because I can't be bothered learning to use straps.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My legs are many times stronger than the tiny muscles in my fingers, so I don't see the reason to let those tiny muscles limit my lifts. So I use straps. If you want to call me a sissy go right ahead

cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post
    I don't really see the point in hook grip unless you want to compete (or unless you're doing cleans). Your basically using your thumb as the strap, so you may as well just get straps at that point.

I used mix grip personally because I can't be bothered learning to use straps.
    Originally Posted by sy2502 View Post
    My legs are many times stronger than the tiny muscles in my fingers, so I don't see the reason to let those tiny muscles limit my lifts. So I use straps. If you want to call me a sissy go right ahead
    Lmao I can totally relate to these ladies. I actually posted a similar forum not too long ago:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=168927863

Due to an old wrist injury, I've had issues with grip on my left side. It's not really an issue other than when I'm deadlifting. Straps didn't do it for me - mixed grip totally helps. I've been using that pretty much exclusively for deads. I figure as long as I get the weight up with good form, and I'm still progressing, I'd rather be using mixed grip than relying on straps. I know that my old injury is gonna prevent me from having supreme grip strength anyway.

Good solid lifting gloves definitely do help a ton though.

What also helped me was focusing on holding the bar not so much with my fingers, but kinda securing it with my thumb as well...can't really explain though lol.

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I do both mixed grip and straps. I do double overhand for my first warm up and on hypertrophy day have been trying to keep the rdl ones at both overhand, which is a challenge at 8 reps but still pushing through. For main sets on regular deadlift and sumo, though, I do over-under and lately have been switching which hand is under. It was awkward for the right at first, since I started with just left under, but has gotten easier over time. And actually, last night for sumo the right under went better but my left hand has more calluses and they were cranky last night. I also do one heavy set with straps as I won a pair. They are a tad big but it has been kind of fun.

itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I can't get hook grip to work for me either, lol. I think for those of us with smaller hands (pretty much all women), hook is harder on regular bars just due to the thickness. If you have access to a thinner bar, like a nice deadlift bar or a women's oly bar, it would be easier.

I always use mixed grip on deads, and it's always right hand over, left hand under. I don't ever change which is over/under, I've tried that and just didn't like it the other way around. I've had no problems with imbalances from deadlifting like that, but I do make sure that I'm regularly hitting heavy 1-arm movements like DB rows to keep my left side / right side fairly even anyway.

VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VO2Maxima has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hook grip is the most uncomfortable thing ever.

I mixed grip on sumo day, and use straps on conventional, deficit, and SLDL days. Reason being is that I need to pull sumo in competition, so may as well use that day to train grip and make sure I can hold onto the weight I'm pulling. On the other days, 1) no sense holding back my back and legs for the sake of my grip, and 2) mixed grip all the time is going to eventually create imbalances. I'm also doing some variation of deadlift every day, so avoiding straps all the time would way overwork my forearm muscles.

I do no extra grip work. If I'm pulling sumo a couple times per week, that's more than enough grip training for me.
    Olympus Labs Representative

Olympus Lyfestyle: https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/olympus-lyfestyle.html

canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hook grip...*shudder* That shiznit HURTS!! I only use it on Oly lifts. Way too painful for deadlift.

For deads, I use overhand for my warm-up and lighter work sets. I switch to mixed grip for the heavier work sets, alternating which hand is under/over every once in a while to prevent imbalances.
    Current Technical 1RM
    Squat: 175 / Bench: 125 / Deadlift: 260 / Strict OHP: 85 / C&J: 100 / Snatch: 82.5

Goals
    Squat: 300 / Bench: 200 / Deadlift: 400 / Strict OHP: 200 / C&J: 200 / Snatch: 150

"Commitment is doing the thing you said you would do, long after the mood you said it in, has left you." ~George Zalucki~

kydcali will become famous soon enough. (+50) kydcali will become famous soon enough. (+50) kydcali will become famous soon enough. (+50) kydcali will become famous soon enough. (+50) kydcali will become famous soon enough. (+50) kydcali will become famous soon enough. (+50) kydcali will become famous soon enough. (+50) kydcali will become famous soon enough. (+50) kydcali will become famous soon enough. (+50) kydcali will become famous soon enough. (+50) kydcali will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Mix grip and also, chalk works better for me than straps.. Helps keep hands dry and gives you a firm grip hope that helps

Registered User littlelifter101's Avatar
    littlelifter101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) littlelifter101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) littlelifter101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) littlelifter101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) littlelifter101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) littlelifter101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) littlelifter101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) littlelifter101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) littlelifter101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) littlelifter101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) littlelifter101 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I used to lift a lot with the mix grip but because of a variety of other things I became a bit one sided and was having trouble with my right hip and right shoulder. In an effort to keep as much symmetry as possible I've switched back to the overhand (while also dropping all my weights) and I've kept it ever since. It's definitely harder on the hands but my grip is keeping up. If I was competing I would definitely mix grip again.

Originally Posted by canjad80 View Post
    Hook grip...*shudder* That shiznit HURTS!! I only use it on Oly lifts. Way too painful for deadlift.

For deads, I use overhand for my warm-up and lighter work sets. I switch to mixed grip for the heavier work sets, alternating which hand is under/over every once in a while to prevent imbalances.
    I was thinking the same thing, I couldn't imagine deadlifting with it. It's hard enough to force myself to do it for the Oly lifts aha.