Logic79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What are some good Carbs?

After a good workout I always get my protein, creatine, and multivitamin..but I know that a good intake of carbs after that workout is important too. I was wondering what is a good food source to get these carbs in. My workouts are mainly in the morning so we are talking more of a breakfast type of meal. I have heard that oatmeal is a good one, anybody else eating something else for the carbs?

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    whole grain bread/cereal
    fruit
    oatmeal
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Brown rice, basmati rice, quinoa, cous cous, sweet potato, wholegrain bread, rolled oats, wholemeal pasta.

All you pretty much need when it comes to carbs mang.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

doctapeppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) doctapeppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) doctapeppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) doctapeppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) doctapeppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) doctapeppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) doctapeppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) doctapeppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) doctapeppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) doctapeppa will become famous soon enough. (+50) doctapeppa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    And don't forget beans!

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Sheesh, the good vs bad dichotomy again.

Just look for foods that have the least amount of refinement and processing.

Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    Sheesh, the good vs bad dichotomy again.

Just look for foods that have the least amount of refinement and processing.
    Was not asking good vs. bad, was asking a good source of carbs for my post workout routine.

Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    whole grain bread/cereal
    fruit
    oatmeal
    Thanks man...was just looking at cereal and didn't realize how high the carbs were in there! 45 carbs per serving (1 cup). I think the smallest bowls I have will hold more than 2 cups of cereal. So between the cold cereal and the oatmeal I think I can complete my morning workouts pretty good.

chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Poliquin's Top 10 Rules for Carb Intake

By Charles Poliquin

1. Elimate grains, particularly wheat. This is the most important principle regarding carb intake. Wheat influences blood sugar levels the same way as plain table sugar.

2. Yes, eliminate grains, part II: Gliadin family grains such as oats, wheat, spelt are the most common food allergen. People of the Celtic ancestry, like the Irish, are more likely to be gluten allergic. Besides raising insulin levels in the body and their rapid carb intake, grains also release cortisol in response to the stressor, than a food allergen is.

3. The main source of carbs should be fibrous. Fibrous carbs typically have very low carb content. Their inherent high fiber brings about a very moderate insulin response, thus making them an ideal fat loss food. The best sources of fibrous carbs include:

Broccoli
    Lettuce
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Mushrooms
    Green beans
    Onions
    Asparagus
    Cucumber
    Spinach
    All forms of peppers
    Zucchini
    Cauliflower
    4. The darker the fruit, the better it is for you. Dark fruits tend to have very thin skin, (hence they need to produce more anti-oxidants to protect themselves from the sun). That is why darker fruits are great anti-inflammatory foods. Bananas have thick skins therefore, they have lower anti-oxidant content.

5. The darker the fruit, the better it is for you, part II. The darker the fruit, the lower the glycemic load. Again, compare berries, and cherries to bananas and pineapple. Of course, this applies to fruits in their natural state; when grapes become raisins, their glycemic index goes up because of dehydration of the fruit.

6. Replace grains with greens in sandwiches. This one is promoted by Jonny Bowden, author Living The Low Carb Life: Instead of using bread, use dark leafy greens to wrap the meat. It will slow down the glycemic index and help shift in your favor the acid/alkaline base.

7. Limit fructose intake. Even though fruits are great foods loaded with nutrients, they also contain fructose. Fructose in too high quantities can slow down thyroid function and increase glycation. Glycation in laymen's term is browning, like the browning that makes crust in bread. Glycation is the cross linking of proteins (and DNA molecules) caused by sugar aldehydes reacting with the amino acids on the protein molecule and creating Advance Glycosylation End-products (AGE's). If you want to see protein cross linking in action, cut an apple in half and watch it turn yellow! Very few people realize that glucose can go through oxidation. Why is the worst glycation agent fructose? Because it does not raise insulin. In other words, the insulin is not getting it into muscle cells. Therefore, it lingers around and wrecks metabolic havoc. As nutrition expert Robert Crayhon would say: fructose is like the guest that won't go home once the party is over.

Crayhon recommends that the average American should eat no more than 5-10 grams of fructose a day! For very active individuals, 20 grams of fructose should be the maximum intake.

One of the worst sources of glycating fructose are the weight loss bars containing high fructose corn syrup.

To check for glycation levels, ask your doctor to measure the concentration of glycated hemoglobin in your blood. In England, a study revealed that this is one of the best measured tests able to predict mortality; far better than cholesterol, blood pressure and body mass index.

8. The best time to load up in carbs is the first 10 minutes following your workout. Since insulin sensitivity is at its highest after the workout, this is the time to take in your carbs to maximize muscle mass gains. Originally based on the research that was available at the time, I typically recommended 2 g/Kg of bodyweight. Over the years, after being exposed to more research and discussing it with my colleagues, I have come to the conclusion that it should be a reflection of the training volume for the training session. The greater the number of reps per training unit, the greater the carbohydrate intake. Of course, one can assume that all reps are equal. A squatting or deadlifting rep is more demanding than a curling or triceps extension rep. By the same token, 3 reps slow tempo squats has different caloric demand than 3 reps in the power clean. As a general rule, I would recommend the following carbohydrate intake based on training volume for a given workout:

12-72 reps per workout : 0.6 g/Kg/LBM
    73-200 reps per workout : 0.8 g/kg/LBM
    200-360 reps per workout : 1.0 g/kg/LBM
    360-450 reps per workout : 1.2 g/kg/LBM

Regarding the source of carbohydrates post-workout, I have experimented with various sources, I like using fruit juices with a high glycemic index (i.e.
    pineapple, grape) to provide 30-40% of the carbs, the rest of the carbs coming from carb powders ranging from dextrose to various types of malto-dextrin. For variety sake, I will use different types of juice like a berry blend. You can also any type of mushy fruit like bananas or peaches.
    For seriously underweight athletes, I may use pineapple and/or corn flakes to drive the glycemic index upwards. Instead of using maltodextrin, you can also use dessicated honey.

9. Use insulin sensitivity supplements with high-carb post workout meals.
    Nutrients like taurine, arginine, magnesium, R-form alpha lipoic acid etc..
    will help dispose of glucose to muscle cells instead of fat cells.

10. Add protein to your post-workout carb intake. Using 15 g of protein for every 50 lbs of bodyweight, will increase glycogen storage by as much as 40%.

kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I really hate the bread industry. They have too many preservatives and soy bs in them. I broke down and bought ezekial bread. Completely organiz, which is unlike me, but ate it this morning and tasts awesome.

I ate two slices with 3 eggs minus one yolk with an ounce of cheese and a glass of milk with it. On the days I lift I'll be drinking a glass of orange juice to bump up the carbs. I'm actually suprised how well the bread digested.

kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by kmac27 View Post
    I really hate the bread industry. They have too many preservatives and soy bs in them. I broke down and bought ezekial bread. Completely organiz, which is unlike me, but ate it this morning and tasts awesome.

I ate two slices with 3 eggs minus one yolk with an ounce of cheese and a glass of milk with it. On the days I lift I'll be drinking a glass of orange juice to bump up the carbs. I'm actually suprised how well the bread digested.
    Oops post workout, don't eat that!!! bad bad bad. I like rice and cottage cheese and then 30-45 minutes later I have oatmeal, eggwhite, cottage cheese pancakes with blueberries or rasberries and some vanilla yogurt.

ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajb316 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    oats
    brown/wild rice
    dried beans
    anything wholegrain

fruits any sorts

maybe something with a faster release post workout such as white bread/rice/pasta

CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000)
    low gi for endos
    high gi for ectos/mesos

jjellison has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by CLandry View Post
    low gi for endos
    high gi for ectos/mesos
    Never heard this before... why?

CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000) CLandry is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jjellison View Post
    Never heard this before... why?
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beast41.htm

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Broverload explosion up in here.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

jondoeshouston has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jondoeshouston has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jondoeshouston has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jondoeshouston has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jondoeshouston has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jondoeshouston has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jondoeshouston has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jondoeshouston has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jondoeshouston has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jondoeshouston has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jondoeshouston has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Simmo0508 View Post
    Broverload explosion up in here.
    They blinded me with broscience.