IronNerves will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronNerves will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronNerves will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronNerves will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronNerves will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronNerves will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronNerves will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronNerves will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronNerves will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronNerves will become famous soon enough. (+50) IronNerves will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Does biking build bigger legs?

title
    4 years MMA experience

TypicalGamer is a name known to all. (+5000) TypicalGamer is a name known to all. (+5000) TypicalGamer is a name known to all. (+5000) TypicalGamer is a name known to all. (+5000) TypicalGamer is a name known to all. (+5000) TypicalGamer is a name known to all. (+5000) TypicalGamer is a name known to all. (+5000) TypicalGamer is a name known to all. (+5000) TypicalGamer is a name known to all. (+5000) TypicalGamer is a name known to all. (+5000) TypicalGamer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by IronNerves View Post
    title
    Well about 3 months ago I regularly started riding my mountain bike 3-4 times a week for about 20km with plenty of hills and such.

I definitely developed muscles I didn't know I had and have leaner quads. They may have grown a bit (1-2 inches) but I don't really see them getting bigger since I've adjusted pretty quickly to the resistance.

TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sure but I doubt they will get huge off of it. You have to lift weights to get them big and defined more if that's your goal.
    "Giving your best is more important than being the best."

I train as an athlete, not a bodybuilder.

REPS for SUBS.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125690683

beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TheHitStick View Post
    Sure but I doubt they will get huge off of it. You have to lift weights to get them big and defined more if that's your goal.
    Have a look at pictures of cyclists.
    I would say yes, though squats would build them more. If you want to see thigh growth, hit the hills hard with big gears spinning the pedals round at about 50-60rpm.

biggbolt is on a distinguished road. (+10) biggbolt is on a distinguished road. (+10) biggbolt is on a distinguished road. (+10) biggbolt is on a distinguished road. (+10) biggbolt is on a distinguished road. (+10) biggbolt is on a distinguished road. (+10) biggbolt is on a distinguished road. (+10) biggbolt is on a distinguished road. (+10) biggbolt is on a distinguished road. (+10) biggbolt is on a distinguished road. (+10) biggbolt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TypicalGamer View Post
    Well about 3 months ago I regularly started riding my mountain bike 3-4 times a week for about 20km with plenty of hills and such.

I definitely developed muscles I didn't know I had and have leaner quads. They may have grown a bit (1-2 inches) but I don't really see them getting bigger since I've adjusted pretty quickly to the resistance.
    I agree with you. My quads really didn't grow but they I did notice more tone in the muscles than before.

TrojanRunner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanRunner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanRunner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanRunner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanRunner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanRunner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanRunner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanRunner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TrojanRunner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I have to cross train I have to be careful because 2-3 hours a day of cycling will put it where my half-tights don't fit around my legs anymore.

JetJaguar is on a distinguished road. (+10) JetJaguar is on a distinguished road. (+10) JetJaguar is on a distinguished road. (+10) JetJaguar is on a distinguished road. (+10) JetJaguar is on a distinguished road. (+10) JetJaguar is on a distinguished road. (+10) JetJaguar is on a distinguished road. (+10) JetJaguar is on a distinguished road. (+10) JetJaguar is on a distinguished road. (+10) JetJaguar is on a distinguished road. (+10) JetJaguar is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't think cycling alone will make your legs grow. The pro cyclists have the legs they do because of the sort of weight training they do. Their routines are basically focused almost entirely on the lower body. I started out as a roadie myself (I converted to running by way of triathlons) and I had pretty good quad development back then. For me, every day in the gym was leg day. Squats, lunges, step ups, calf raises, leg curls, and such. I never did bench press, ever.
    "Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right."

beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JetJaguar View Post
    I don't think cycling alone will make your legs grow. The pro cyclists have the legs they do because of the sort of weight training they do. Their routines are basically focused almost entirely on the lower body. I started out as a roadie myself (I converted to running by way of triathlons) and I had pretty good quad development back then. For me, every day in the gym was leg day. Squats, lunges, step ups, calf raises, leg curls, and such. I never did bench press, ever.
    I definately saw growth after around 6 months of cycling, training approx. 15 hours a week, though they did then hit a plateau and refuse to grow anymore - but everybody is different. The because power needed to push down on the pedals really isn't that much (with exception to a standing start whilst sprinting), it is more about sustained power (whether this be for 3 minutes or 4 hours). If you take the stairs 2 at a time, then the power needed is often more then the power needed for cycling at your average speed on the flat.

It is true that the pro's do weights, so it is hard to guess whether the thighs come from the cycling or the weights.

One muscle I would say cycling helps with is the calfs. If you buy clip in pedals then you attempt to push/pull the pedals round for 360degrees of the motion. The calfs are used for the pulling up.

StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StlBarbie has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I never had larger quads and hams (clipped in) than when I was an endurance cyclist.
    However, my calves remained small, yet cut.

tbone80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your legs will definitely get in shape riding but you need to actually do weight lifting to get them big.

Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    A thousand pardons for bumping an old thread, but what is "clipped" in?

Dead Cell is just really nice. (+1000) Dead Cell is just really nice. (+1000) Dead Cell is just really nice. (+1000) Dead Cell is just really nice. (+1000) Dead Cell is just really nice. (+1000) Dead Cell is just really nice. (+1000) Dead Cell is just really nice. (+1000) Dead Cell is just really nice. (+1000) Dead Cell is just really nice. (+1000) Dead Cell is just really nice. (+1000) Dead Cell is just really nice. (+1000)
    I doubt it because it doesn't have much resistance. Think of long distance runners vs short distance runners.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Dead Cell View Post
    I doubt it because it doesn't have much resistance. Think of long distance runners vs short distance runners.
    Riding does build legs. And it does have quite a bit of resistance. Just not as much as squatting of course. Lifting weights isnt the only form of resistance. Walking and running involves resistance. You won't get jacked...but who actually wants to get "jacked". We wont to get healthier, leaner and better looking. Riding a bike will greatly help with that.

nickolbag will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickolbag will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickolbag will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickolbag will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickolbag will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickolbag will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickolbag will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickolbag will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickolbag will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickolbag will become famous soon enough. (+50) nickolbag will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    You won't get jacked...but who actually wants to get "jacked".
    I'd imagine nobody on a bodybuilding forum would want to get jacked. That would be ridiculous....................

Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jack3dSparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by nickolbag View Post
    I'd imagine nobody on a bodybuilding forum would want to get jacked. That would be ridiculous....................
    Here at bodybuilding.com we do not want to get "jacked". I mean who wants to get "jacked", right? Here at bodybuilding.com.

guyspartacus will become famous soon enough. (+50) guyspartacus will become famous soon enough. (+50) guyspartacus will become famous soon enough. (+50) guyspartacus will become famous soon enough. (+50) guyspartacus will become famous soon enough. (+50) guyspartacus will become famous soon enough. (+50) guyspartacus will become famous soon enough. (+50) guyspartacus will become famous soon enough. (+50) guyspartacus will become famous soon enough. (+50) guyspartacus will become famous soon enough. (+50) guyspartacus will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Sir Chris Hoy (British Olympic track cyclist)

Read an interview with him recently saying the best exercise for lower body development is the squat - heavy and low

he's aware
    ------Current PR----------Goal for 2016
    Squat 155kg x 3-----------160kg x 5
    Bench 130kg x 2-----------140kg x 5
    Dead--220kg x 1-----------250kg x 1
    OHP----75kg x 2-----------90kg x 5

jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000) jgb99 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sprint cyclist have impressive quad development.
    Lift.LOL.Learn

Canviskiller is on a distinguished road. (+10) Canviskiller is on a distinguished road. (+10) Canviskiller is on a distinguished road. (+10) Canviskiller is on a distinguished road. (+10) Canviskiller is on a distinguished road. (+10) Canviskiller is on a distinguished road. (+10) Canviskiller is on a distinguished road. (+10) Canviskiller is on a distinguished road. (+10) Canviskiller is on a distinguished road. (+10) Canviskiller is on a distinguished road. (+10) Canviskiller is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I do uphill sprints alot on my road bike and at first my quads got very defined but i they seemed to have stopped and look the same ever since.

grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jack3dSparrow View Post
    A thousand pardons for bumping an old thread, but what is "clipped" in?
    It means riding with your shoes attached to your pedals basically.. she's referring to clipless pedals. Go down to clipless pedals, you'll see.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_pedal