Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GST for me

m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

GST for me

Here we go.

Day 1 - Squat day.

Back Squats -
    10/135 WU
    8/155 WU
    7/185 WU
    * w/ sets of 10 rep jump squats in between

185pds x 8, x8 and then around 20+ for my AMRAP (lost count, was pushing too hard!)

DB Lunges -
    8/40pds x 4
    (HOLY CRAP. It's been years since I've done lunges - these CRUSHED me. My glutes are still twitching in pain and fear.)

Single Leg Press - 8/150 x 4

Single Leg Calf Raises - 8/195 x 4

Felt great. Like how it's not all that long in the gym but wow it's rough especially after you've done that high intensity WU and the AMRAP.

Any thoughts?

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by m.c View Post
    Here we go.

Day 1 - Squat day.

Back Squats -
    10/135 WU
    8/155 WU
    7/185 WU
    * w/ sets of 10 rep jump squats in between

185pds x 8, x8 and then around 20+ for my AMRAP (lost count, was pushing too hard!)

DB Lunges -
    8/40pds x 4
    (HOLY CRAP. It's been years since I've done lunges - these CRUSHED me. My glutes are still twitching in pain and fear.)

Felt great. Like how it's not all that long in the gym but wow it's rough especially after you've done that high intensity WU and the AMRAP.

Any thoughts?
    Just want to add that you're doing too many jump squats. Hit anywhere from 1-6 reps per set and leave it at that. As soon as you feel your pace slow AT ALL, stop.

Why the use of 4 reps on your supplement lifts? Lift choice looks all good btw.
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) m.c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    Just want to add that you're doing too many jump squats. Hit anywhere from 1-6 reps per set and leave it at that. As soon as you feel your pace slow AT ALL, stop.

Why the use of 4 reps on your supplement lifts? Lift choice looks all good btw.
    Gotcha yeah I was a bit beat from the all the jumping ha.

Should have gone for 3x8 on my supplements - will do that tomorrow on Push Day.

Pull Up Day

Core - Pull Ups

Close grip pull down WU
    Close grip pull ups (bodyweight) = 8,8,12
    DB Row 8, 8, 10 (70pds)
    Wide grip pull downs 8, 8, 10 (120pds)
    Rev EZ BB Curl 8, 8, 10 (55pds)

Pretty fast workout. Felt great at times, excellent pump and tear but also felt like I could have gone for 4 sets of the supplementals. Any reason why I should limit those to 3 sets?

Ah wait I think I see - had a miscommunication - I did 4 sets of the supp lifts above, not 4 reps.
    Last edited by m.c; 04-11-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Going to do these workouts the next couple times in the gym. Different than I first planned, though pretty similar.

Core Lift: Conventional BB Deadlift → 8/220 x 3 (AMRAP last)
    Supplement Lift 1: BB Good Morning 3-4x8-10 →
    Supplement Lift 2: Cable Pullthrough, 3-4x8-10
    Supplement Lift 3: Shrugs, 3-4x8-10

Core Lift: Dips → 8/60 x 3 (AMRAP last)
    Supplement Lift 1: Military Press, 3-4x8-10 →
    Supplement Lift 2: Flat DB Press, 3-4x8-10 →
    Supplement Lift 3: Push Downs, 3-4x8-10 →

Dead Day

Wow, AMRAP w/ deads is just sick. I literally had to sit on the floor for a minute after it. Felt great.

Core Lift: Conventional BB Deadlift → 8/220 x 3 (AMRAP last = 22

Supplement Lift 1: BB Good Morning 3-4x8-10 @ 115 = Only hit 3 sets b/c my hams were twitching and about to die.

Supplement Lift 2: Cable Pullthrough, 3-4x8-10 @ 80pds = Loved this, did it for the first time. Can see how varied it could be - I focused on my lower back and felt a great pump, like weighted back extensions, but also liked the work that my abs, hips and even arms were doing.

Supplement Lift 3: Shrugs, 3-4x8-10 @ 80. Good stuff.

Push Day

Dips @ 50 x 8, 7, 9 = Too much weight on this obviously. Which seems weird considering my 1RM but whatever. Think I am going to run another week of my first cycle again to get my numbers right anyhow. Rough stuff!

MPress @ 35 x 8, 8, 10, 10 = Surprised at how little weight I got up but these definitely were taxing, I was pushing very hard on the last two sets to get 10.

DB Bench @ 55 x 8, 8, 8, 9 = Again these were nice and tough to get up. Maybe it's because I've been running a low rep scheme but once I get to the 6th rep on everything I definitely feel the burn.

Push Downs @ 70 x 8, 8, 8, 8

My plan fleshed out

Went back and crunched the numbers again.

Going to start with the first microcycle again, no reason to move on till I feel like I have the numbers right, it's a great workout anyhow.

So my 1RM Maxes are

Squats - 285
    Deads - 350
    Dips - 85
    Pullups 17.5

Which breaks down into the following -->

Cycle 1
    Squats @ 170
    Deads @ 210
    Dips @ 50 (This seemed to high but going to stick with it).
    Pullups @ 10

Cycle 2
    Squats @ 200
    Deads @ 245
    Dips @ 60
    Pullups @ 12

Cycle 3
    Squats @ 230
    Deads @ 280
    Dips @ 70
    Pullups @ 14

Cycle 4
    Squats @ 260
    Deads @ 315
    Dips @ 70
    Pullups @ 15

Supplementals I'll workout in each day's post. Heading to the gym in a bit for a squat day.

Squat Day

Back Squats -
    10/135 WU x 2
    8/155 WU
    * w/ sets of 5 rep jump squats in between

175pds x 8, x8, AMRAP = 21

DB Lunges -
    8/40pds x 4
    Even w/o doing these as walking lunges they are bada-s. Especially after AMRAP, had to push super hard.

Felt great.

Pull Day

Close grip pull down WU
    Close grip pull ups @ 10 = 8, 7, 8 (Seems like too much but per 60% of my 1RM 10pds is what's up.)

DB Row @ 75pds x 8, 8, 8, 10

Wide grip pull downs @ 120pds x 8, 8, 10, 10 (Go up next week)

Rev EZ BB Curl @ 65 x 8, 8, 10, 10

Feel like I should maybe be doing close grip pull downs instead of pull ups but whatever, going hard as possible for those reps so hopefully will see uppage in the next cycle.

Dead Day

Core Lift: Conventional BB Deadlift → 8/215 x 3 (AMRAP last = 20

Supplement Lift 1: BB Good Morning @ 95 x 8, 10, 10, 10 = After the way my hams were sore for almost a full week I lowered the weight. Going up to 105 next week.

Supplement Lift 2: Cable Pullthrough @ 80 x8, @ 90 x 8, 8, 8 = Love this.

Supplement Lift 3: Shrugs @ 80 x 10, @ 85 x 8, 10, 10

Good workout. Looking forward to getting that Dead weight up next week.

Push Day

Dips @ 50 x 8, 7, 9 = Stuck with this even though might be a bit high.

MPress @ 35 x 9, 10, 10, 10 = Good stuff

DB Bench @ 55 x 10, 9, 10, 10

Push Downs @ 70 x 10, 10, 10, 10

Squat Day

Back Squats -
    10/135 WU x 2
    8/155 WU
    6/185
    * w/ sets of 5 rep jump squats in between

205pds x 6, x6, AMRAP = 13. Felt like I could have gotten couple more on AMRAP but didn't have anyone in the gym I trusted to give me a proper spot.

DB Lunges - 30pds x 15, 15, 15. Man these sucked. Almost puked. Good sh-t!!

Single Leg Press - 105pds x 15; 90 x 16, 16

Single Leg Calf Raises - 120pds x 16, 16, 16

Wow what a thrashing. I honestly don't know the last time I had a leg day this brutal. Awesome stuff.

Pull Day

Close grip pull down WU
    Close grip pull ups @ 10 = 6, 6, AMRAP = 8

DB Row @ 50pds x 18, 18, 18 = Sick pump on this. Felt awesome to go for that many reps.

Wide grip pull downs @ 75pds x 18; 90pds x 16, 20

Rev EZ BB Curl @ 35 x 18; 45 x 15, 18

The high rep scheme is not entirely new for me as I ran a cycle of HST not that long ago. But I've still really been training w/ low rep schemes so it's definitely a physical and mental challenge.

Good fricking stuff.

Days off

Krav Maga class last night.

Today 2 mi run.

Micro 2 - Dead Day

Sumo BB Deadlift →
    WU
    @ 245 x 6, 6, AMRAP = 16. Sick.

BB Good Morning @ 85 x 17, 17, 18.

Cable Pullthrough @ 50 x 17, 17, 16. Said it already but damn I love this movement.

Shrugs @ 60 x 19, 18, 20.

Great workout. Felt pretty thrashed.

Micro 2 - Push Day

Dips @ 60 x 6, 6 AMRAP = 7. Think I estimated my 1RM a bit high for this.

MPress @ 30 x 18, 17, 17 = Wow these high reps are killers. Really got to push through to get them up. Goes for the freakin rest of this workout as well. Tough stuff.

DB Bench @ 45 x 16, 16, 15

Push Downs @ 40 x 20, 20; @ 50 x 17

Huge pumps, real pain, great sh-t.

Micro 3 - Squat Day

Back Squat
    WU
    225pds x 4, x4, AMRAP = 9.

DB Lunges @ 40 x 8, 8, 8, 8.

Single Leg Press @ 150 x 8, 8, 8, 8.

Single Leg Calf Raises @ 195 x 9, 8, 8, 8.

I heart AMRAP.

Micro 3 - Pull Day

Close grip pull down WU
    Close grip pull ups @ 15pds = 4, 4. AMRAP = 7

DB Row @ 75pds x 8, 9, 9, 9.

Wide grip pull downs @ 135pds x 9, 9, 9, 10 (Maybe try going up next time).

Rev EZ BB Curl @ 65 x 8, 9, 9, 9.

Micro 3 - Dead Day

Sumo BB Deadlift →
    WU
    @ 280 x 4, 4, AMRAP = 11. Sickest yet. Put me out of commission for 5 f-cking minutes.

BB Good Morning @ 105 x 9, 8, 8, 9. Up to 115 next week

Cable Pullthrough @ 80 x 8, 8, 8, 10. Favorite exercise maybe ever.

Shrugs @ 80 x 10, 10, 10; @85 x 10.

Micro 3 - Push Day

Dips @ 60 x 4, 4, AMRAP = 9

4 x 8-10....
    MPress @ 40 x etc (Not sure b/c lost my paper) but round this weight.

DB Bench @ 60

Push Downs @ 70

Micro 4 - Squat Day

Should call this death day, or puke day. Man this workout is brutal.

Back Squat (on the Smith Machine)
    WU
    265pds x AMRAP = 7, 2, 2. Wow.

DB Lunges @ 30 x 15, 15, 15.

Single Leg Press @ 90 x 15, 15, 15.

Single Leg Calf Raises @ 120 x 15, 15, 15.

Micro 4 - Pull Day

Close grip pull down WU
    Close grip pull ups @ 20 AMRAP = 6, 3; @25 x 3. (20 just felt too light).

DB Row @ 50pds x 18, 18, 18.

Wide grip pull downs @ 90pds x 19; @ 105 x 16, 15.

Rev EZ BB Curl @ 45 x 16, 15, 17.

New 1RM for weighted pullups = 30. Though I think it could be 35 I am going to try at 30. I find the early 60%, 70% workouts to be tough with such high weight.

Squat 1RM

My new Squat 1RM is 310. Looking forward to crunching all the numbers after my last two Micro 4 workouts - Deads and Push.

Micro 4 - Dead Day

Sumo BB Deadlift →
    WU
    @ 315 AMRAP = 5, 3, 3.

BB Good Morning @ 95 x 15, 15, 15.

Cable Pullthrough @ 50 x 15, 15, 15.

Shrugs @ 65 x 16, 16, 18.

Ab work.

Super intense, great workout.

New Dead 1RM = 375
    Last edited by m.c; 05-13-2010 at 10:12 AM.

Micro 4 - Push Day

Weighted Dips
    WU
    @ 75 AMRAP = 5, x 3, 3.

a. supp
    MPress @ 30 x 18, 16, 17.

DB Bench @ 45 x 16, 15, 16.

Push Downs @ 50 x 17, 17, 17.

New 1RM for Dips = 85. Actually this isn't new, it stayed the same ha.
    Last edited by m.c; 05-14-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Macro 2 - Micro 1 - Squat Day

Core:
    Back Squat
    WU
    205pds x 8, 8, AMRAP = 13.

Supp B:
    DB Lunges @ 40 x 8, 8, 8, 8. These are still killer. Good ish.

Single Leg Press @ 150 x 8, 8, 10, 10.

Single Leg Calf Raises @ 195 x 9, 9, 9, 10.

New Macro

New 1RMs =

Squats - 310
    Deads - 375
    Dips - 85
    Pullups - 30

Going to run this Macro w/ a 65/75/85/95 breakdown. We'll see how it goes.

Micro 1
    Squats - 205
    Deads - 240
    Dips - 55
    Pullups - 15 (Rounding low w/ my weighted pullups, had trouble with the early Micros last time).

Micro 2
    Squats - 230
    Deads - 280
    Dips - 60
    Pullups - 20

Micro 3
    Squats - 260
    Deads - 320
    Dips - 70
    Pullups - 25

Micro 4
    Squats - 295
    Deads - 355
    Dips - 80
    Pullups - 28

Wow those weights toward the end look intimidating.

Can't f&^king wait.

Recalculated my Pulls and Dips after learning how to include my BW in the calculation.

Will look like this now

Micro 1
    Pull @ BW
    Dip @ 15

Micro 2
    Pull @ BW
    Dips @ 45

Micro 3
    Pull @ 25
    Dip @ 75

Micro 4
    Pull @ 50
    Dip @ 105

Macro 2 - Micro 1 - Dead Day

Sumo BB Deadlift →
    WU
    @ 285 x 8, 8 AMRAP = 14. Hells.

Supps (b)
    BB Good Morning @ 115 x 8, 9, 8, 9.

Cable Pullthrough @ 80 x 9, 9, 9, 10.

Shrugs @ 85 x 9, 9, 9, 9.

Ab work.