jemrun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question breast lump/pectoral muscle

Hi, I'm hoping some body builders will be able to help! ...

I'm a little worried about a recent breast exam in which my ob/gyn doctor found a pin-head sized lump in my upper breast toward the middle of my chest. She was pressing on that area and asked if it felt tender. It did, but I was so upset at the time that I forgot to mention that I had done some heavy (for me) chest presses the previous day. She probably doesn't have very many patients who strength train -? I'm small--34B, and 51 years old, and edging toward menopause. I was referred to a breast surgeon, my appointment is the end of May.

Now, I'm wondering if pectoral development can mimic breast cancer, can you get a lump from it?

I had a negative mammogram 3 months ago, but that doesn't set my mind at ease. I had a benign cyst removed 4 years ago when I was experiencing fibrocystic breasts, but that has gone away as I quit having regular periods.

Thanks, in advance!

smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000) smdiskin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jemrun View Post
    Hi, I'm hoping some body builders will be able to help! ...

I'm a little worried about a recent breast exam in which my ob/gyn doctor found a pin-head sized lump in my upper breast toward the middle of my chest. She was pressing on that area and asked if it felt tender. It did, but I was so upset at the time that I forgot to mention that I had done some heavy (for me) chest presses the previous day. She probably doesn't have very many patients who strength train -? I'm small--34B, and 51 years old, and edging toward menopause. I was referred to a breast surgeon, my appointment is the end of May.

Now, I'm wondering if pectoral development can mimic breast cancer, can you get a lump from it?

I had a negative mammogram 3 months ago, but that doesn't set my mind at ease. I had a benign cyst removed 4 years ago when I was experiencing fibrocystic breasts, but that has gone away as I quit having regular periods.

Thanks, in advance!
    Hi,
    I will admit I can't see how weight training would cause lumps of any description... I would just get it checked out... you should be able to tell the difference between DOMS related pain and other pain... I can understand you feel worried based on you passt experience... but as you know the best way to deal with it if it is something serious is sooner rather than later... and if it's nothing then at least you'll be sure... Insist on getting it checked out if you are worried as the stress of the worry will do more harm than good... go back another day and get the doctor to look at it again...
    All the best
    Getting there slowly.... and slowlier

OK... so all my stats are rubbish at the moment...

DL - 220lbs.... finally... still aiming for 330....

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You're in the prime time for developing simple cysts. Fluid filled things that pop up due to hormone fluctuations. I'm surprised your doc didn't send you for an ultrasound first. Going to a surgeon before you have one is knee-jerk. But that'll be the first thing the surgeon will do. If it's a simple cyst then nothing needs to be done.

I get these all the freaking time! Some have been huge! They can be tender and feel smooth. Ultrasound always find some I wasn't aware of. These things like to travel in families

Lifting has nothing to do with this. Just get it checked out and take comfort in knowing that the overwhelming majority of lumps are benign.

jemrun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    You're in the prime time for developing simple cysts. Fluid filled things that pop up due to hormone fluctuations. I'm surprised your doc didn't send you for an ultrasound first. Going to a surgeon before you have one is knee-jerk. But that'll be the first thing the surgeon will do. If it's a simple cyst then nothing needs to be done.

I get these all the freaking time! Some have been huge! They can be tender and feel smooth. Ultrasound always find some I wasn't aware of. These things like to travel in families

Lifting has nothing to do with this. Just get it checked out and take comfort in knowing that the overwhelming majority of lumps are benign.
    Thanks for your reply!

I don't know why my doctor didn't order an ultrasound. She did mention that she was going on vacation for 2 weeks, so, I assume she was wanting my breast surgeon to handle it as her office is located in a major breast center that has all the necessary equipment. Oh, and I goofed in my OP, my appt with the surgeon is the end of April.
    Thanks, again, you definitely made me feel better!

jem