Closed Thread
    SkinnyWeakGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SkinnyWeakGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SkinnyWeakGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SkinnyWeakGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SkinnyWeakGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SkinnyWeakGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SkinnyWeakGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Mass Gainer vs Whey Protein

Hey guys I am wondering whether I should take whey protein or a mass gainer. My current protein shake is almost finished it is whey protein it is a cheap brand it has 24g of protein per scoop (32g). I want to get a new one and I discovered Mass gainers. I am wondering what is better because Im planning on joining rugby and I have the speed but I am f%cking weak and skinny! I am 5'11-6'0 I didnt check in a while. I weigh 120 pounds my BMI is 16! I want to get really strong and I heard mass gainers do that but I also heard whey has more protein so which should I take? I have a pair of 20 pound dumbbells which I work out with but I dont know what workouts I should do with them to become a monster ( strong)

On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SkinnyWeakGuy View Post
    Hey guys I am wondering whether I should take whey protein or a mass gainer. My current protein shake is almost finished it is whey protein it is a cheap brand it has 24g of protein per scoop (32g). I want to get a new one and I discovered Mass gainers. I am wondering what is better because Im planning on joining rugby and I have the speed but I am f%cking weak and skinny! I am 5'11-6'0 I didnt check in a while. I weigh 120 pounds my BMI is 16! I want to get really strong and I heard mass gainers do that but I also heard whey has more protein so which should I take? I have a pair of 20 pound dumbbells which I work out with but I dont know what workouts I should do with them to become a monster ( strong)
    Depends. Do you prefer to drink food or eat it? A mass gainer is just a protein powder with a whole bunch of additional carbs and fats, that requires you to take multiple scoops per serving and ends up being about 500-1000 cals a drink. So, if you prefer to drink your food, go with a mass gainer. If you'd prefer to have a protein shake and some steak and potatoes instead to make up 1000 cals, go with protein powder.

meursault will become famous soon enough. (+50) meursault will become famous soon enough. (+50) meursault will become famous soon enough. (+50) meursault will become famous soon enough. (+50) meursault will become famous soon enough. (+50) meursault will become famous soon enough. (+50) meursault will become famous soon enough. (+50) meursault will become famous soon enough. (+50) meursault will become famous soon enough. (+50) meursault will become famous soon enough. (+50) meursault will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    among other things, a mass gainer will give you many more calories than a typical protein shake...

shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

You need to start eating more food man. Mass gainers are not the place to start out, they are for people who understand their body and nutrition and just can't get enough calories in a day. Start eating more rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, fats, etc and lift hard.

You're skinny because you eat too lean. All a gainer is is a cheap protein powder with malto added (basically a non-sweet dextrose). It's worthless calories. Starting out you should be focusing on learning good eating habits, not continuing your poor habits and using weight gainers to make up for it.

When you do learn more about nutrition look into just buying a tub of Malto (carbo gain, etc) and add it to whatever protein powder you use. Cheaper and you can choose your fav protein this way.
    Latest Reviews:

My huge list of informative links: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132306613

Xtreme Formulations UP2 Multi-Flavor Review!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129562583

SkinnyWeakGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SkinnyWeakGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SkinnyWeakGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SkinnyWeakGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SkinnyWeakGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SkinnyWeakGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SkinnyWeakGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I eat alot. I eat atleast 3,000 calories but Im not gaining weight! It really discourages me and thats why I am turning to mass gainers. Is taking 1 scoop of a mass gainer gonna make a difference?

shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I eat alot. I eat atleast 3,000 calories but Im not gaining weight! It really discourages me and thats why I am turning to mass gainers. Is taking 1 scoop of a mass gainer gonna make a difference?
    3000 calories isn't really a lot man. And if you don't gain weight at 3000 then eat 3300. If you don't gain weight go to 3500, etc. It's not rocket science.

And mass gainers are not magical in any way. They are not really very different than adding table sugar to protein powder. If you want you could just add honey or sugar or even oil to your protein and it would have the same effect.
    Latest Reviews:

My huge list of informative links: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132306613

Originally Posted by shadar View Post
    3000 calories isn't really a lot man. And if you don't gain weight at 3000 then eat 3300. If you don't gain weight go to 3500, etc. It's not rocket science.

And mass gainers are not magical in any way. They are not really very different than adding table sugar to protein powder. If you want you could just add honey or sugar or even oil to your protein and it would have the same effect.
    Ok thanks Im gonna eat as much as I can possible. But I'm wondering does this mean I should just stick to whey? Or just get mass gainer because it has both protein and carbs

Ok thanks Im gonna eat as much as I can possible. But I'm wondering does this mean I should just stick to whey? Or just get mass gainer because it has both protein and carbs
    If you need more protein in your diet get whey. You don't "need" whey protein to get big and strong, it's just handy to have for post workout so you can drink it quickly and get the protein your body wants. alternatively eating chicken/beef/etc is fine.

If you need more carbs in your diet then a mass gainer works fine, but you're paying a lot of money for very cheap carbs generally. Bang for your buck you're much better off with protein powder.
    Latest Reviews:

remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    underweight. not sure if i need carbs moer or protein more. perhaps both. if mix whey with peanut butter and convert it to mass gainer, how should i take it? between meals, after training and before bed?

If you need more protein in your diet get whey. You don't "need" whey protein to get big and strong, it's just handy to have for post workout so you can drink it quickly and get the protein your body wants. alternatively eating chicken/beef/etc is fine.

If you need more carbs in your diet then a mass gainer works fine, but you're paying a lot of money for very cheap carbs generally. Bang for your buck you're much better off with protein powder.

adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000) adang92 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by remyjunior View Post
    underweight. not sure if i need carbs moer or protein more. perhaps both. if mix whey with peanut butter and convert it to mass gainer, how should i take it? between meals, after training and before bed?
    doesnt matter man..stick to the basics..just get your damn cals in!

andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I recommend making your own weight gainer you will get a lot more than just protein/sugar/fats.. At the end of the day its all about hitting your caloric intake ( eat dense caloric foods)
    Try this
    2scoops BioX Power Whey Complex Chocolate Peanut Swirl is very tasty! Like drinking melted pb/choc cups
    1cup Oats
    2 Tablespoon Natural PB
    Banana
    Greek Yogurt
    Ice
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/photos/view-user-photos/158620

remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) remyjunior has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by andrewwww View Post
    I recommend making your own weight gainer you will get a lot more than just protein/sugar/fats.. At the end of the day its all about hitting your caloric intake ( eat dense caloric foods)
    Try this
    2scoops BioX Power Whey Complex Chocolate Peanut Swirl is very tasty! Like drinking melted pb/choc cups
    1cup Oats
    2 Tablespoon Natural PB
    Banana
    Greek Yogurt
    Ice
    how should i take it? between meals + after training + before bed?

bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

^^ I second this. It's simple, if you aren't gaining weight, then you aren't eating enough. Weight gainers are awesome, but they are more for convenience. I use em for REALLY busy days when I dont have access to a blender. I prep my meals for the week and store them in tupperware, so that I always have a meal ready. If I can't warm it up, sometimes I just eat it cold!

You have to do whatever it takes to get calories in. If you have to eat Pop-Tarts, eat em! If you like burgers, eat em!!!
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle...." - Psalms 144:1

Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Renegadegod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You can easily make your own with ice cream, PB, and whey at a fraction of the cost. There are tons of workouts that can be done with only dumbbells.

lilgymrat145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

If your 120 lbs at 5'11, you need a lot of calories. your body type is ectomorph. take the mass gainer and eat a lot. you won't get strong with only 20 lb dumbells. your gonna need to go to a real gym with free weights and everything. lift heavy and wait a few minutes between your sets. eat calorie dense foods. try to eat every two hours.

misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) misfit28 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by lilgymrat145 View Post
    If your 120 lbs at 5'11, you need a lot of calories. your body type is ectomorph. take the mass gainer and eat a lot. you won't get strong with only 20 lb dumbells. your gonna need to go to a real gym with free weights and everything. lift heavy and wait a few minutes between your sets. eat calorie dense foods. try to eat every two hours.
    Hopefully after 4 years +, he has grown some more

AbishekAmpler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You want to do workout, if you are doing workout then make short and intense it will be helpful.Not one scoop can make diff you can use it atleast 4 days a week for better

bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bdillingham5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nothing like a good 1-year bump.....
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle...." - Psalms 144:1

alphafreak is just really nice. (+1000) alphafreak is just really nice. (+1000) alphafreak is just really nice. (+1000) alphafreak is just really nice. (+1000) alphafreak is just really nice. (+1000) alphafreak is just really nice. (+1000) alphafreak is just really nice. (+1000) alphafreak is just really nice. (+1000) alphafreak is just really nice. (+1000) alphafreak is just really nice. (+1000) alphafreak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Take the whey protein and add a banana, oatmeal and peanut butter in the blender, boom you now have a mass gainer.

agoodman2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agoodman2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agoodman2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agoodman2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agoodman2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agoodman2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agoodman2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agoodman2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agoodman2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agoodman2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) agoodman2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I was in your situation a year ago.

Ok you gotta do 4 things:
    progressive overload. up the weight each week.
    eat enough protein. 1g per lb bodyweight
    eat enough kcals. about 2800-3000. no more.
    compound movements. eg squat, deadlift, dumbell press, shoulder press and pull ups

as for supplements, they are not as important. but weight gainers will help if you don’t eat enough kcals. and whey will help if you dont get enough protein. If you dont get either, improve your diet asap. that’s much more important. Remember: no supplement is magic

Originally Posted by alphafreak View Post
    Take the whey protein and add a banana, oatmeal and peanut butter in the blender, boom you now have a mass gainer.
    Originally Posted by agoodman2 View Post
    I was in your situation a year ago.

Ok you gotta do 4 things:
    progressive overload. up the weight each week.
    eat enough protein. 1g per lb bodyweight
    eat enough kcals. about 2800-3000. no more.
    compound movements. eg squat, deadlift, dumbell press, shoulder press and pull ups

as for supplements, they are not as important. but weight gainers will help if you don’t eat enough kcals. and whey will help if you dont get enough protein. If you dont get either, improve your diet asap. that’s much more important. Remember: no supplement is magic
    I am hoping hat after 8 years OP has figured it out.....

AMacintyre77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AMacintyre77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AMacintyre77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AMacintyre77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AMacintyre77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AMacintyre77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AMacintyre77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AMacintyre77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AMacintyre77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AMacintyre77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AMacintyre77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've never been a big fan of mass gainers. I suggest taking a straight whey protein for now to gain strength, and really focus on nailing your diet. Increase your carb load if you want to get bigger and eat as many clean calories as you possibly can.