samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Bench press technique.. Elbows tucked or flared out? which is better?

I have been benching for a year and a half just about and have been benching with my elbows pretty much flared out, due to people telling me it will put more stress on my chest rather then my triceps or something... I tried to bench with my elbows tucked and I was a lot weaker but maybe I just need to get used to it for a few weeks and i'll be just as strong using that technique... What do you guys think??? I'm having a hard time making gains on bench and maybe changing up the technique will help...

wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000) wallyworld34 is just really nice. (+1000)
    45 degree man, not flared , not pinned to your sides.

samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    o alright, i almost do a 45 degree angle. i just dont "tuck" my elbows in.. I was reading to tuck elbows and touch the bar on upper abs almost and bench up in a straight line, i touch my lower /mid chest when bench pressing, and i notice that nfl players do bench with their elbows tucked in.. ehh idk, i'll just try touching the bar lower a tad lower then my chest next time see how that works...

Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get
    -Ronnie Coleman

Try new things, CG Bench is the best tricep exercise for mass and I have no clue why you havent ever tried it...because it should be your starting tri exercise the next time you step foot into the gym to train.
    The bar allows many places to put your hands and direct your elbows, so try new ways. I go just inside the power rings and i find i get the most power from this position. I can bench super heavy with my hands close as well, but that might be from my pratise as well. I wouldnt suggest elbows by your side unless doing tris, but if you want to pre exhaust your chest first then hit close grip bench as a superset, the tris will allow you to use more weight. Ppl train to similar these days, so train how it works for you and use the gym in new ways that you might think are ****ed up and unusual, because they most likely arnt.
    =[][][]=== B I G xxx P O P P A xxx P U M P ===[][][]=

If The Bar Aint Bendin, Your Just Pretendin

gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I flared them and tweaked my shoulder then went on youtube and found out i had been benching wrong... i was flarin my elbows out to far... you want about a 45 degree.
    Don't pray for lighter burdens but for stronger bodies.

Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You were told right, flaring your elbows do place more of the emphasis on the chest than if you tucked them. But it also places more stress on the shoulders from what I have read/heard. This doesn't bother most people, myself included, so I can't vouch for that. If you are having a hard time developing your pecs, it seems contrary to take emphasis away from chest. I would agree that something needs to change within your program to get you growing again, but I'm doubtful that changing from flare to tuck is going to have a major impact.
    Use the tools of the trade to help you. I use devices such as chalk for grip strength, gloves, wrist straps, lifting belts - if it helps you lift more, it's all good. - Ronnie Coleman, Hardcore, 2007 Triumph Books

Biggest question in bodybuilding: Whaddaya bench? As I've said before, it doesn't matter how much you bench; it matters how much you [i]look[/i] like you bench... There's no round on stage that's the benchpress round. - Bob Chicherillo, World Class Physique, CMG

XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000)
    tucked. the shoulder joint makes arcs, tucking your shoulder allows the shoulder to rotate, hence is why you have a rotator cuff that holds the shoulder in place. flaring the elbow only removes stress away from the torso and places that stress on the delts and triceps; the further away your elbow is from your torso the more the chest is removed from the movement.

the pec has two functions, to push the hands away from the body and to move the hand across the torso. the bench press is not a movement that stretches the pec, it is a contraction and midrange motion.

you can NEVER isolate the chest with a bench press because it is a compound movement; the best you can do is mimic a natural movement and squeeze the hell out of your pecs as you press.

Hiding from ForumNature 400Lb Gorilla's Avatar
    400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by XXX666 View Post
    tucked. the shoulder joint makes arcs, tucking your shoulder allows the shoulder to rotate, hence is why you have a rotator cuff that holds the shoulder in place. flaring the elbow only removes stress away from the torso and places that stress on the delts and triceps; the further away your elbow is from your torso the more the chest is removed from the movement.

the pec has two functions, to push the hands away from the body and to move the hand across the torso. the bench press is not a movement that stretches the pec, it is a contraction and midrange motion.

you can NEVER isolate the chest with a bench press because it is a compound movement; the best you can do is mimic a natural movement and squeeze the hell out of your pecs as you press.
    you still got the link to the thread you started about proper bench technique? that was a good start but cant find it with search(forgot the name and theres alot of chest threads) good advice
    You would be surprised just how much time I have to waste.

jensen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jensen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jensen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jensen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jensen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jensen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jensen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jensen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jensen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jensen is on a distinguished road. (+10) jensen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by wallyworld34 View Post
    45 degree man, not flared , not pinned to your sides.
    this

Registered User RealMenDeadLift's Avatar
    RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Enough to not make it a tricep movement, not so much that you tear your rotator cuffs.

thanks guys. I might try the close grip bench press, i used to do it once in a while... I'm going to do close grip bench on my regular bench days because in my routine right now i do chest and triceps on the same day, so my triceps will be a bit fatigued by the time i do close grip but that doesn't matter i dont think..

XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by 400Lb Gorilla View Post
    you still got the link to the thread you started about proper bench technique? that was a good start but cant find it with search(forgot the name and theres alot of chest threads) good advice
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=116435491

i need to update it.....................

Holy crap 45 deg angle feels greAt!!!

I felt way more power with the 45 degree angle today, and i touched below my chest kinda uppder abdomen i think i was using textbook form. wtf, i've been at a stall for so long on bench this is all i needed to do i think... 2 bad im dieting so my bench might not get as great as it could, but ordered no shotgun and synthesize so maybe i'll get some nice gains.

TheWaterBoy8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am a noob and always benched with my elbows flared... then I found out I was doing it wrong. So then I put my elbows at 45degrees and seemed to be quite a bit weaker... I do close grip bench and all but I'm just wondering is it normal to lose strength if I have just switched from flared to 45degrees? It was kinda disheartening to know I've corrected my form and it's made me weaker...

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yes that's quite common. Before your shoulders were helping out massively. Now you are pressing with the pecs.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by TheWaterBoy8 View Post
    I am a noob and always benched with my elbows flared... then I found out I was doing it wrong.
    What? Says who?
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

TheWaterBoy8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ZoranM View Post
    What? Says who?
    Well everyone seems to say its right to bench with elbow 45 degrees? **** I don't know what to believe

Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by TheWaterBoy8 View Post
    Well everyone seems to say its right to bench with elbow 45 degrees? **** I don't know what to believe
    First off, you shouldn't have necro bumped this 4-year-old thread.

Second, I'd strongly advise you to keep your elbows tucked assuming you don't want to cause a rotator cuff injury.