Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 5'7", 150 lbs
    UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit UpComming916's BodySpace

Scoliosis and height

I have had scoliosis since I was a teenager that I never got fixed that I think has effected my height. I did some research on the internet and it seems depending on the curvative having scoliosis can effect your height by up to 2 inches. Some teenagers that have had surgery report gaining 2 inches right after having their spine straightened.

I am 27 years old so doubt that I can have surgery at this point but I know that there are back braces and chiropractic excercise that can straighten the spine and possible fix the curvature.

Has anybody had any experience with this? I plan to go to the doctor next week and get some xrays done to see how severe the curvature is. I just found out I have scoliosis 2 years ago when I had pneumonia but I didn't pursue fixing or inquring about it at the time because the pneumonia almost killed me and my spine was the least of my concerns.

imconfused has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) imconfused has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) imconfused has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) imconfused has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) imconfused has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) imconfused has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) imconfused has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) imconfused has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) imconfused has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) imconfused has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) imconfused has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit imconfused's BodySpace
    No, but it makes sense/sounds like something worth investigating if your insurance will cover it. I doubt you would want to have surgery anyway- people always say to avoid spinal surgery unless absolutely necessary. Maybe your docs will have noninvasive ideas like the braces/exercises

Stats: 10'0", 1000 lbs
    ToBehonest is a complete loser! (-2000) ToBehonest is a complete loser! (-2000) ToBehonest is a complete loser! (-2000) ToBehonest is a complete loser! (-2000) ToBehonest is a complete loser! (-2000) ToBehonest is a complete loser! (-2000) ToBehonest is a complete loser! (-2000) ToBehonest is a complete loser! (-2000) ToBehonest is a complete loser! (-2000) ToBehonest is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit ToBehonest's BodySpace
    I have minor scoliosis as well and am 6'3" at 16. just imagine if I got my back straightened out

Stats: 5'7", 176 lbs
    Wisdom187 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Wisdom187 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Wisdom187 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Wisdom187 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Wisdom187 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Wisdom187 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Wisdom187 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Wisdom187 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Wisdom187 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Wisdom187 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Wisdom187 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Wisdom187's BodySpace
    lol im a teenager and my spines crooked ill just ignore it.

gjdm
    “Foolish and wretched is the man who builds his happiness on the frail and unstable affection of a woman.”

"Wisdom is the daughter of experience" - Leonardo da Vinci

MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit MareNostrum's BodySpace
    If your spine is severely fked up you can get up to 6 inches straightening it. But thats only if its curved at extreme angles. If its just mild you probably only lose less than half an inch

UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) UpComming916 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by imconfused View Post
    No, but it makes sense/sounds like something worth investigating if your insurance will cover it. I doubt you would want to have surgery anyway- people always say to avoid spinal surgery unless absolutely necessary. Maybe your docs will have noninvasive ideas like the braces/exercises
    It will be interesting if my insurrance will cover it since it was only discovered two years ago but the doctor said it looks like I had it for a very long time... I don't know if that would be considered a pre-existing condition.

I agree about the surgery, I don't want to go that route anyway I much rather do braces or spine straightening excercise. The only way I would opt for surgery is if the doctor said I'm missing something like 4 inches off my height and surgery would fix it, lol.

I'm fairly sure my curvature is fairly serve though because 2 years ago when the doctor looked at my xrays she was shocked and said something along the lines of "wow (mouth open), did you know you have scoliosis??", I told her no and I don't care just fixed this damn pneumonia.

Originally Posted by MareNostrum View Post
    If your spine is severely fked up you can get up to 6 inches straightening it. But thats only if its curved at extreme angles. If its just mild you probably only lose less than half an inch
    Lol if it's 6 inches I'm definately getting surgery even if it's out of pocket and I go bankrupt doing it.

MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MareNostrum has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by UpComming916 View Post
    It will be interesting if my insurrance will cover it since it was only discovered two years ago but the doctor said it looks like I had it for a very long time... I don't know if that would be considered a pre-existing condition.

I agree about the surgery, I don't want to go that route anyway I much rather do braces or spine straightening excercise. The only way I would opt for surgery is if the doctor said I'm missing something like 4 inches off my height and surgery would fix it, lol.

I'm fairly sure my curvature is fairly serve though because 2 years ago when the doctor looked at my xrays she was shocked and said something along the lines of "wow (mouth open), did you know you have scoliosis??", I told her no and I don't care just fixed this damn pneumonia.
    The only way it will straighten is with surgery. Probably within the next decade they will be able to straighten scoliosis without being too invasive with rods and what not. Technology is always improving and you'll be able to cash in on those missing inches sooner or later.

The only way it will straighten is with surgery. Probably within the next decade they will be able to straighten scoliosis without being too invasive with rods and what not. Technology is always improving and you'll be able to cash in on those missing inches sooner or later.
    Isn't there back braces and therapy?

Lol if it's 6 inches I'm definately getting surgery even if it's out of pocket and I go bankrupt doing it.
    6 inches looks like someone whose back is bent at a 90 degree angle lol. Think of your elbow being permanently forced to your hip. Most people with like a 50ish degree curve (the minimum most doctors will operate on) gain at least 2 inches from surgery though when the back is straightened.

Isn't there back braces and therapy?
    Back braces are for when teenagers are still growing its to prevent the curve from getting worse. If you wear the brace it will straighten your back a little but once you take it off your back will go back to where it was. So unless you plan on wearing a brace 24/7 it won't help you.

Therapy and exercises haven't been proven to actually reduce curvature of the spine but if you find research supporting it then go for it.

Pretty much though the only way to reduce your curvature, straighten your spine, and essentially become taller is surgery. They'll cut you open and fuse your spine straight with metal rods.

Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    wow this thread brings up memories. When I was 16 and went in for a physical the doctor said I had scoliosis. I am 5'8" and if I could gain an extra free 2 inches of height that would kick ass. This surgery could move me out of manlet territory.

Back braces are for when teenagers are still growing its to prevent the curve from getting worse. If you wear the brace it will straighten your back a little but once you take it off your back will go back to where it was. So unless you plan on wearing a brace 24/7 it won't help you.

Therapy and exercises haven't been proven to actually reduce curvature of the spine but if you find research supporting it then go for it.

Pretty much though the only way to reduce your curvature, straighten your spine, and essentially become taller is surgery. They'll cut you open and fuse your spine straight with metal rods.
    Hmm....not really encouraging but thanks for the real advice. I guess I'll just have to go to the doctor and assest how bad it is and what my options are.

Is it weird to tell my doctor the reason why I'm looking into this is to see if straightening my spine will make me taller? I'm sure he is going to ask me if I'm having back problems and why I'm looking into this... I wonder if he'll laugh at me if I tell him the truth.

Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Compasion is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

I wonder if you could still deadlift and stuff with those in? Wow I couldn't imagine having a messed up back after this surgery and not being able to lift again. Def not worth it if that is the case

Hmm....not really encouraging but thanks for the real advice. I guess I'll just have to go to the doctor and assest how bad it is and what my options are.

Is it weird to tell my doctor the reason why I'm looking into this is to see if straightening my spine will make me taller? I'm sure he is going to ask me if I'm having back problems and why I'm looking into this... I wonder if he'll laugh at me if I tell him the truth.
    if you want to be taller then just get elevator shoes that increase your height by 1 or 2 inches without making it even noticable. You will be 5'7" and get boosted up to 5'9". Not even that obvious when you take your shoes off either. Once you gain the few extra inches you will never want to go back to regular shoes.

Originally Posted by Compasion View Post
    wow this thread brings up memories. When I was 16 and went in for a physical the doctor said I had scoliosis. I am 5'8" and if I could gain an extra free 2 inches of height that would kick ass. This surgery could move me out of manlet territory.
    Cool, and you are 22 now so you are somewhat in my situation since by 22 i'm sure you're done growing. You should also see a doctor and look into it too, PM me and maybe we can compare notes your doctor may tell you something my doctor didn't and visa versa.

Stats: 7'0", 249 lbs
    lewman123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lewman123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lewman123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lewman123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lewman123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lewman123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lewman123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lewman123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lewman123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lewman123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lewman123 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit lewman123's BodySpace
    Should of concentrated on having good posture when you were a teenager, too late now you crippled hunchback muthfuggah

Originally Posted by Compasion View Post
    if you want to be taller then just get elevator shoes that increase your height by 1 or 2 inches without making it even noticable. You will be 5'7" and get boosted up to 5'9". Not even that obvious when you take your shoes off either. Once you gain the few extra inches you will never want to go back to regular shoes.
    Nah I don't want to go with elevator shoes as it is not real height. Plus you can't wear elevator shoes to the beach

If I can straighten out my spine and gain an inch or two, great, but if not I'm happy just being 5'7 and won't get elevator shoes.

Originally Posted by lewman123 View Post
    Should of concentrated on having good posture when you were a teenager, too late now you crippled hunchback muthfuggah
    I agree, I really ****ed up not fixing this when I was still growing but I never even got it checked and never knew I had it until 2 years ago. Oh well, nothing I can really do now other than see what my options are at this age.

Any advice/comments on how I should approach my doctor?

Made the doctors appointment, hopefully something will come of this.

update....went to the doctors and confirmed I have considerable scoliosis. Now need to wait for xray results to come back.