Thread: Gaining weight

Joey173D is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Gaining weight

Before you tell me this has been posted a million times, I already know. I’m 19, 150 pounds (on a good day) and no matter what I do I literally cannot break that plateau. I’ve been lifting on and off for 6 years. My max bench was 230 a couple years ago before I started doing cardio like a madman and wasn’t able to get to the gym for about a year. During my last 2 years of highschool I lifted sometimes 3 times a day, drank a ton of protein shakes, took mass gainer, took creatine, ate a ton of meat, drank a ton of water etc etc. I know what to do to gain weight I just don’t know why it’s not working. My bench is 195 now but I’m in much better shape than when it was 225...still Look the same/weigh the same etc. I can do bodyweighr exercises like pull ups and pushups for days (literally done pushups for 24 hours straight but that’s another story) i stopped running 5 miles everyday and I’m currently on a good schedule to start lifting again, and I know I’ll be able to improve my lifts. I still don’t see myself gaining weight regardless of what I eat or do. I just need some help on this insight on what I might be doing wrong. I’ve tried overworking, underworking, just eating a ton, idfk what’s wrong lol.
    I would be overly happy if I could get to 155 or 160 in like 3-6 months

Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    So you were eating ton of meat in a month? year? Thats pretty much enough protein for 5 years bulk. You simply eating like a small baby.

I usually hit about 3/4,000 calories a day, what was I thinking though expecting an educated reply lol

BHFK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BHFK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BHFK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BHFK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BHFK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BHFK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BHFK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BHFK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BHFK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BHFK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BHFK is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Joey173D View Post
    I usually hit about 3/4,000 calories a day, what was I thinking though expecting an educated reply lol
    Big difference between 3 and 4K calories. It sounds like your not even tracking so you should do that if you want to make gaining weight easier. Also, you ate a **** ton of protein expecting to gain weight. I could get full eating 8 oz of grilled chicken and that’s only 200 calories. Try eating more carbs and fats.

Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, of course, maybe 10000? Link to your MFP profile would help.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    OP, how much pizza, cheeseburgers, and peanut butter did you eat, chased by a milkshake? Eating lot's of meat means little if you're not getting enough calories to grow.

Pls4Ezra is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah as everyone else is saying you're just not eating enough.

Protein is important but if you have 500g of protein (2000 calories or so) and your TDEE is 4,000 calories you'll still lose weight. You need to put more calories in there and since your protein intake is already high this extra food does not need to be protein, it could be ice-cream for all you care.

There’s a lot of days/weeks where I can’t track what I eat, but yeah when I do I’m picking high calorie stuff, I’m just not low on my protein intake.

A ton of pizza lol. Whenever I’m at subway or any fast food place I’m always picking the highest calorie ****. And yes I go through a ridiculous amount of peanut butter in a week.

i feel like I’m eating enough but if I were to eat more how would I increase my appetite?

BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i feel like I’m eating enough but if I were to eat more how would I increase my appetite?
    There’s a lot of days/weeks where I can’t track what I eat, but yeah when I do I’m picking high calorie stuff, I’m just not low on my protein intake.
    I've cut on 3500 cals a day before at a body weight of 135-140lbs. If you are active enough then even what you think you are consuming may not be enough.

"Feeling" you are eating enough isn't the same as knowing. I used to feel I ate enough as well when I started my first bulk, in reality I was under eating. The inconsistency in your method is why you are failing.

Consistency is key, you have to track religiously it's easy to under eat if you are not tracking properly. If you want consistent results you are going to have to be consistent with your method of weight gain. So eat more, adjust calories as needed to maintain weight gain and be consistent in tracking. If you half ass it you'll get half ass results.
    Bench -216lbs
    Squat - 268lbs
    Deadlift - 375lbs
    OHP - 134lbs

LSFTW will become famous soon enough. (+50) LSFTW will become famous soon enough. (+50) LSFTW will become famous soon enough. (+50) LSFTW will become famous soon enough. (+50) LSFTW will become famous soon enough. (+50) LSFTW will become famous soon enough. (+50) LSFTW will become famous soon enough. (+50) LSFTW will become famous soon enough. (+50) LSFTW will become famous soon enough. (+50) LSFTW will become famous soon enough. (+50) LSFTW will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BrightonBomber View Post
    I've cut on 3500 cals a day before at a body weight of 135-140lbs. If you are active enough then even what you think you are consuming may not be enough.

"Feeling" you are eating enough isn't the same as knowing. I used to feel I ate enough as well when I started my first bulk, in reality I was under eating. The inconsistency in your method is why you are failing.

Consistency is key, you have to track religiously it's easy to under eat if you are not tracking properly. If you want consistent results you are going to have to be consistent with your method of weight gain. So eat more, adjust calories as needed to maintain weight gain and be consistent in tracking. If you half ass it you'll get half ass results.

100% agree. I always felt like I ate a lot and I was 104-108 lbs @ 6 ft tall my whole life. I finally started tracking and seeing what I was eating and I was only getting in like 1500 calories a day LOL.

Once I started tracking, I realized how hard it was to actually break 2600 for someone who doesn't eat a lot.

Bought a mass gainer, after 3 months of using it, I finally figured out how to use it properly and now I'm literally stopping myself from eating so I can limit myself to 1-1.5 lbs per week.

Gaining weight is not hard, the only thing hard is being patient and being consistent. With those two things you can achieve any goal you've ever had.