ZombieTripleX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZombieTripleX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZombieTripleX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZombieTripleX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZombieTripleX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZombieTripleX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZombieTripleX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZombieTripleX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZombieTripleX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZombieTripleX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZombieTripleX is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking Chin-ups = Big biceps?

I have read and heard many things about chin ups being the most effective in building raw strength and packing new muscle onto your biceps. Barbell curls, dumbbell curls and cable curls and not as effective. Male gymnasts have some of the most impressive biceps. Sure, steroid-pumping bodybuilders have big biceps but in many cases these short, tiny male gymnasts will have even bigger biceps. They also do not spend a lot of time in the gym, they simply do chin ups. Here's the science: It turns out that when your entire body is moving through space, it forces you to recruit more muscle fibers and in turn, grow muscle at a faster pace.

Im not sure if this is true entirely, but I myself do chin ups all the time and have gotten great results.
    Do any of you do chin ups for biceps?
    And what are your results in terms of mass and definition?

I really think that everyone should consider doing chin ups for a primary bicep exercise if you have you don't do them already.

Here are some variations I have done with the chin up.

-The negative chin-up: This is perfect for guys that are not yet strong enough to do a true-chin-up. Start out standing on a chair, grab the bar and lower yourself as slowly as possible. Then stand up on the chair again and repeat.

-The towel chin-up: Drape a towel over a chin-up bar. Adjust the towel so that one end is longer than the other. This makes the towel uneven and forces your muscles to work in a new position. Grip the towel and pull yourself up to the bar.

I also use the weighted chin-up for the extra burn by just adding a backpack.
    Last edited by ZombieTripleX; 04-04-2010 at 05:55 PM.

BBUser- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBUser- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBUser- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBUser- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBUser- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well you can definately put some mass on your back and biceps with chin ups since they are a very good compound but i wouldnt rely solely on them.

If anything, weighted chin ups in the 8-10 rep range will get you results.

SeminoleSigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) SeminoleSigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) SeminoleSigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) SeminoleSigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) SeminoleSigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) SeminoleSigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) SeminoleSigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) SeminoleSigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) SeminoleSigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) SeminoleSigner is on a distinguished road. (+10) SeminoleSigner is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just started Rippetoes a few weeks ago and have already noticed results from doing Chin-Ups.

I'm gonna use them forever
    Just trying to gain weight

Sack-tastic is not very well liked. (-100) Sack-tastic is not very well liked. (-100) Sack-tastic is not very well liked. (-100) Sack-tastic is not very well liked. (-100) Sack-tastic is not very well liked. (-100) Sack-tastic is not very well liked. (-100) Sack-tastic is not very well liked. (-100) Sack-tastic is not very well liked. (-100) Sack-tastic is not very well liked. (-100) Sack-tastic is not very well liked. (-100) Sack-tastic is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by ZombieTripleX View Post
    I have read and heard many things about chin ups being the most effective in building raw strength and packing new muscle onto your biceps. Barbell curls, dumbbell curls and cable curls and not as effective. Male gymnasts have some of the most impressive biceps. Sure, steroid-pumping bodybuilders have big biceps but in many cases these short, tiny male gymnasts will have even bigger biceps. They also do not spend a lot of time in the gym, they simply do chin ups. Here's the science: It turns out that when your entire body is moving through space, it forces you to recruit more muscle fibers and in turn, grow muscle at a faster pace.

Im not sure if the is true entirely but I myself do chin ups all the time and have gotten great results.

I really think that everyone should consider doing chin ups for a primary bicep exercise if you have you don't do them already.

-The negative chin-up: This is perfect for guys that are not yet strong enough to do a true-chin-up. Start out standing on a chair, grab the bar and lower yourself as slowly as possible. Then stand up on the chair again and repeat.

-The towel chin-up: Drape a towel over a chin-up bar. Adjust the towel so that one end is longer than the other. This makes the towel uneven and forces your muscles to work in a new position. Grip the towel and pull yourself up to the bar.

Problem solved.

When you're "short and tiny" and make a living off of pulling yourself up and down like gymnasts then it's pretty easy to have big biceps.

Isolate those bad boys like normal human beings and they will blow up like balloons.
    Lifting is a lot like partying... sometimes you go way too big and regret it the next morning.

Genesis 2:4-
    "And on the 8th day after God had rested, he looked down upon his newly created weak and small human race and said, 'Let there be milk.' And there was milk. And God's people grew swole."

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    One of, if not the best bicep exercise.

Pretty much the only bicep work I do anymore apart from a few sets of hammer curls.

Results? Dunno, I think my arms are one of my stronger body parts.

DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes, I have been trying to tell people chin-ups will pack on some serious mass in the upper arms. Thinks Zombie for posting.

antonio93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonio93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonio93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonio93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonio93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonio93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonio93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonio93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonio93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonio93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antonio93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Chin ups help develope my arms and it's great to mix it up with bicep curls for an even greater result bro. You can't go wrong with chin ups and I think I might try that weighted back-pack idea.
    THEY SAY GO HARD, I GO HARDER

CULTLEADER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CULTLEADER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CULTLEADER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CULTLEADER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CULTLEADER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CULTLEADER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CULTLEADER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CULTLEADER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CULTLEADER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CULTLEADER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CULTLEADER is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ZombieTripleX View Post

Im not sure if this is true entirely, but I myself do chin ups all the time and have gotten great results.

I think that for certain people, they can certainly work better than traditional curls. Not like you really even are in need of any help though, you look ****ing huge and cut as **** for your age.

bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Based on this experiment, here are the top three exercises in terms of mean and peak activity for each muscle part [from left to right]:

Biceps

Mean -Weighted Wide Parallel-Grip Pull-up, Weighted Chin-up, BB Curl
    Peak -Weighted Chin-up, Weighted Wide Parallel-Grip Pull-up, EZ-Bar Curl
    In a word.. yes.
    "Sa souvraya niende misain ye ... I am lost in my own mind"
    ― Robert Jordan, A Memory of Light

For he cannot read his tombstone when he’s dead.

_██_
    (ಠ_ృ)

NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There was a definite change in how big my arms were once I started doing chin ups. They might be my new favorite exercise.

Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Marleau12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have been doing them since like the end of march so not long, but I really like them, and feel it in my arms pretty good. Is it better to do them slow because that's how I do it and it feels like it works them more. I could be wrong, though.
    Going for 220 lb

Rep back everytime

-- R.I.P Zyzz --

"The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent."

StewBird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

It depends on your body weight.

This is incredibly simple.

If you weigh 200 pounds but can do 220 in curls, then pull-ups wouldn’t be SUPER beneficial.

If you’re a monster like me who weighs over 300, yet biceps are 100 pounds behind, then yes, you’ll see some crazy ass gains, so long as you’re eating enough.

I feel like this is more than common sense, but some of the answers that people are providing is beyond too much. Keep it simple stupid.