Registered User wow_strong_misc's Avatar
    wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000)

Is whole wheat bread ideal for cutting?

My diet is very clean, but the only questionable food I eat is Whole Wheat Bread. Most of my cut is centered around sandwiches (easy, fast, and convenient) -- but I hear mixed opinions on whole wheat bread. I eat maybe 5-6 whole wheat breads a day from the sandwiches I eat, is this going to affect my cut at all?

Thanks.

RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    as long as you're in a calorie deficit and staying within your macros then the bread is fine. best bet to go with sprouted wheat bread like ezekiel just cuz its low gi abd i guess "more complex" then other breads. but like i said just stay within your macros and theres no need to trip

wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000) wow_strong_misc is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by RZaragoza View Post
    as long as you're in a calorie deficit and staying within your macros then the bread is fine. best bet to go with sprouted wheat bread like ezekiel just cuz its low gi abd i guess "more complex" then other breads. but like i said just stay within your macros and theres no need to trip
    I'm new to the nutrition forum, what does "macros" mean?

Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by wow_strong_misc View Post
    I'm new to the nutrition forum, what does "macros" mean?
    Calories, protein,fats,carbs. As long as the bread fits into the goal or whatever amount you're trying to hit per day then you're good

Originally Posted by Murderfox View Post
    Calories, protein,fats,carbs. As long as the bread fits into the goal or whatever amount you're trying to hit per day then you're good
    Originally Posted by RZaragoza View Post
    What I don't understand about the "doesn't matter as long as it hits your calorie goal" is how is this any different from consuming ice cream, brownies, and MnMs to hit the same number?

watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000) watertoy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Most whole wheat bread is garbage.

whole wheat biscuit cereal and oats are best.
    -Roger Stone's on the loose; quislings on the run.
    -of Nolibs "Donald stumped him & everyone else in the race, even Lyin' Ted Cruz!"
    -Donald trump tears a hole,destroys my self esteem... And trump could win it all,my rightful place from birth,dad i've let you down,dub i've made you...hurt
    -Donald for a long time, Donald for a long time, Go tell that syphilis tongued liar
    -Now this nation that I love has fallen under attack,
    Through our DJT,
    we lit up the cucks,
    Like the fourth of July

RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50) RZaragoza will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What I don't understand about the "doesn't matter as long as it hits your calorie goal" is how is this any different from consuming ice cream, brownies, and MnMs to hit the same number?

as long as youre eating less calories than you are burning then you will lose weight. you could theoretically go on a donut cookie and ice cream diet and still lose weight as long you are in a deficit. however this is not a healthy diet for a variety of reasons. just understand the concept that in order to lose weight all you need is a calorie deficit, but in order to lose fat and retain muscle mass then you need to make sure that you are consuming the proper amount of protein carbs and fats

Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Murderfox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's not any different. As long as you have a sufficient amount of protein & efas to preserve/build muscle and stay healthy then go ahead & fill the rest of your cals with what ever you want, won't make a diff.

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by watertoy View Post
    Most whole wheat bread is garbage.

whole wheat biscuit cereal and oats are best.
    way too broad a statement
    there are plenty of quality whole wheat breads
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Is there any Whole Wheat bread that is low GI?
    I guess If I can't get good at bodybuilding, my only alternative is to become an adult movie star.

Current Gunpowder Log:

Optimum Nutrition Proxomplex
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein

BTW - Soy may be good, Soy may be bad, I guess I'll never know.

cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    whole wheat has nutrients and crap, and a lower gi value than standard white bread

but from a calorie standpoint, bread is bread. and when you are cutting, cals is most important
    Vegan

"there are ZERO conclusive and definitive peer-reviewed studies proving detrimental effects of phytoestrogens in dietary soy intake"

saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I thought that GI was also important during cutting as High insulin response leads to fat storage unless its used for glycogen replenishment.

This is what I wonder if the question really is.
    I guess If I can't get good at bodybuilding, my only alternative is to become an adult movie star.

Current Gunpowder Log:

Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by saintsparrow View Post
    I thought that GI was also important during cutting as High insulin response leads to fat storage unless its used for glycogen replenishment.

This is what I wonder if the question really is.
    Long story short: the Glycemic Index is worthless. Even the Amercian Dietetics Association now recognizes that it has little value to diabetics.

Originally Posted by Julian_H View Post
    Long story short: the Glycemic Index is worthless. Even the Amercian Dietetics Association now recognizes that it has little value to diabetics.
    The issue is not about diabetics. Its about the Insulin response to the food when it's eaten. Insulin is REAL important in bbing.

Current Gunpowder Log:

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    The issue is not about diabetics. Its about the Insulin response to the food when it's eaten. Insulin is REAL important in bbing.
    But candy bars are in the 30s, lower than beans, oats, any grain
    Does that mean candy bars would be better for fat loss?
    Wheat bread is better than white because it will be more filling and have more nutrients, and when in a deficit, you could be lower in nutrients than normal.
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    But candy bars are in the 30s, lower than beans, oats, any grain
    Does that mean candy bars would be better for fat loss?
    Wheat bread is better than white because it will be more filling and have more nutrients, and when in a deficit, you could be lower in nutrients than normal.
    Not exactly.
    I'd be interested to know which candy bars have a GI in the 30s (not GL) where sugar products are not ingredient 1, 2,or 3.
    I agree that wheat bread is better for the reasons defined, and maybe multigrain breads are better for the same reasons.

I'm simply suggesting that the question might be more about GI of wheat bread.

If I may entertain a new question then.

If all I ate were candy bars all day, oh and cake too! but maintained (somehow) a caloric deficit, would my %BF change? or would my weight change? or perhaps both.
    And which way would they go?

I'm curious and have never really thought about the overall impacts.

Current Gunpowder Log:

Not exactly.
    I'd be interested to know which candy bars have a GI in the 30s (not GL) where sugar products are not ingredient 1, 2,or 3.
    I agree that wheat bread is better for the reasons defined, and maybe multigrain breads are better for the same reasons.

I'm simply suggesting that the question might be more about GI of wheat bread.

If I may entertain a new question then.

If all I ate were candy bars all day, oh and cake too! but maintained (somehow) a caloric deficit, would my %BF change? or would my weight change? or perhaps both.

#1 ingredient of Snickers (SUGAR) GI=40
    Snickers ingredients are: sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, skimmed milk, lactose, milkfat, soy lecithin, artificial flavor, peanuts, corn syrup, sugar, skim milk, butter, milkfat, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, lactose, salt, egg whites and artificial flavo
    Founder of MMDELAD

IMO, yes, your body comp wont be as good (although others would argue otherwise)
    You would still lose weight, but a larger portion of muscel due to inadequate protein, healthy fats and other nutrients helping with recovery and giving you proper fuel to optimize workouts (which in turn effect body comp)
    Founder of MMDELAD

Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    #1 ingredient of Snickers (SUGAR) GI=40
    Snickers ingredients are: sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, skimmed milk, lactose, milkfat, soy lecithin, artificial flavor, peanuts, corn syrup, sugar, skim milk, butter, milkfat, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, lactose, salt, egg whites and artificial flavo
    And what is the insulin score of the snickers bar. Although you are correct the GI maybe 40 but the Insulin response is higher as a result of the fats wtihin. So I would be willing to wager that its insulin score is much higher than beans or oats.

Also, why does everything on the planet have the emulsifier soy lecithin?

Current Gunpowder Log:

JustRiv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes it is perfectly fine when cutting in moderation.
    Here is a few tips for picking out decent whole wheat bread.

The bread has at least 3 grams of fiber.
    Make sure the first ingredient is whole wheat.
    12 grain isn't whole wheat.
    It has low sugar.
    There is a short ingredient list
    There is no high fructose corn syrup.
    "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." Buddha

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Depends on how your body reacts to certain foods and bloating and water retention.

A lot of bodybuilders cut bread out full stop since it bloats us rather quickly (likewise other things for example, milk). A bloated stomach is not the look we want, and we try to keep our stomach's tight and rather small.

If you have no issues with bloating, go for it. Whole wheat bread is fine from an actual nutritional standpoint - cut or bulk.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000) Julian_H is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The point is that the ADA recognizes that GI is practically irrelevant even to the most carbohydrate sensitive population. Carbs raise insulin levels, period. Bodybuilders should eat real food and quit worrying about stupid ****.
    Last edited by Julian_H; 04-07-2010 at 04:58 PM.