Page 77 of 86 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 2557
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Weight: 81.9kg

Deadlift: 5 x 3 x 160kg -- flew up

Ab wheel standing: 4 x 3 x BW

Power shrugs: 5 x 3 x 190kg

Deficit deadlift - standing on a box to isolate lower back - 50kg
    Ab machine...

Felt really good today after yesterday. Deadlifts truly do cure disease.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Weight: 81.9kg - spot on. My belt actually felt a little loose on the last notch yesterday...

Bench Press:
    4 x 90kg
    4 x 90kg
    4 x 90kg
    4 x 90kg
    4 x 90kg -- grinder
    3 x 90kg -- grinder
    -- solid improvement after a couple of dissapointing weeks

Legs:

Back squat:
    10 x 100kg
    10 x 100kg
    10 x 100kg
    8 x 100kg

Romanian (slow tempo): 5 sets of 5-8 with 100kg - really need straps for this.

Calf raise machine: 2 x 12 x whocares
    Leg press machine: 1 x 20 x something
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 05-30-2014 at 06:29 AM.

Weight: 82.3kg

Weighted pullups:
    5 x 20kg
    5 x 20kg
    4 x 20kg
    4 x 20kg
    4 x 20kg
    4 x 20kg -- pretty good progress

Shoulders: Decided to use BBB for some of my lifts...

Military press:
    10 x 45kg
    10 x 45kg
    10 x 45kg
    10 x 45kg
    8 x 45kg -- next time...

One handed lateral raise: 2 x 10 x 15kg

Weight: 82.2kg

Was under the weather yesterday so I'm quite pleased by this performance

High bar back squat: TV
    4 x 115kg
    4 x 115kg
    4 x 115kg
    4 x 115kg
    4 x 115kg
    3 x 115kg -- had more this was a tactical withdrawl
    3 x 115kg

Upper back:

Pullup BBB with BW: 10,10,10,7

Seated cable rows done slow - 4 sets

DB incline curls - 2 sets

Weight: Dunno - scale battery is flat. Trousers feel loose as ever. I am having trouble finding trousers that fit - if the waist fits, they are too tight around the legs and bum. I sound like such a woman

Military Press:
    5 x 60kg
    4 x 60kg
    4 x 60kg
    4 x 60kg
    4 x 60kg

Chest MF:
    Bench: 65kg: 10, 10, 7
    Flyes - low and slow
    Tricep extension
    Neck work

Weight: dunno

Deadlift day:

Power clean - triples and singles to 1 x 100kg

Deadlift speed pulls pyramiding to: 4 x 4 x 160kg - very snappy - pleasing.

Ab wheel (standing): 5 x 3 x BW

Long throw power shrugs: to 2 x 3 x 200kg
    Strict shrugs: 20 x 140kg

Cable pullthroughs.

-- In very good form today. Deadlifts are straining at the leash - but I shall do the 3x5x160kg before adding 5kg...

Weight: dunno but I have ordered a new battery for my scales. I couldn't believe how cheap mail order stuff is these days: 79 pence for 2x CR2023s delivered from a well known book etailer.

Bench TV:
    4 x 90kg
    4 x 90kg
    4 x 90kg
    4 x 90kg
    4 x 90kg
    3 x 90kg
    3 x 90kg -- only 1 more set than last time but no grinding this time

Lower body MF:
    Back squat - low bar:
    10 x 100kg
    10 x 100kg
    10 x 100kg - brutal
    10 x 100kg - decided to man up and got a second wind
    8 x 100kg

Hamstring curl machine...
    Calf raise machine....

I think I am getting on top of a niggling pain I get in my hamstring. I think it's referred pain from tight calves. I am stretching both and working both with MF type workload.

Weight: 83.8kg - getting towards the top end of my weight band. Keep seeing 84+kg on the scales.

General update: Stalling on bench press TV but everything else is increasing. Whether I'll hit some PRs compared to before my last cut I don't know. I think at the moment I could produce similar performances to when I was 87kg earlier this year.

Powercleans: warming up for deadlift - to an easy single with 90kg

Deadlift: 3 x 5 x 165kg -- good. Increase to 170kg and do 5x3 next time.

Circuit of prehab exercises: (3 circuits)
    - strict shrugs with 140kg x15 reps
    - calf raise machine x 15 reps
    - hamstring curl machine 12-15 reps

I realised I was jerking at the hamstring curl. I think prehab works better with a slower tempo and constant tension, definitely going to try that.

My new direction is not very Chaos and Pain (even though DUP is actually how Jamie trains - but informally)

Anyway, new journal is here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=163624691

And.... I'M BACK to my spiritual home.

I think I have enough knowledge now to train intuitively - or at least to plan the things that need planning and let the rest fall where it may.

I'm going to revisit some aspects of C&P style training such as the big compound lifts with plenty of overlap with each other, the high intensity vs. non overloading sessions and the informal high frequency approach. Where it will differ is that I will use a wider range of reps than before because of the need for variation.

Some recommended reading:
    JTS - principles of strength training
    Bayesian bodybuilding: Check all Mennos videos on training (esp. AVT and reactive deloading) and his articles on exercise selection and balance
    Nuckols and Israetel: There is only one type of periodization
    Grow like a new lifter again
    Also check Greg Nuckols Bulgarian manual - in particular the last chapter which involves modulation of volume over time and the rep grid method of progression (superman effect)

I'm going to have some core lifts which I will progress when I can progress them - recorded on a rep grid. The rest will not be tracked or rep counted, total training volume will be intuited and regulated by both proactive and reactive means. The guiding principles will be
    - progressive overload -- progress in weight, rep density or total volume
    - Time Under Maximal Tension -- all reps will be done with maximum possible force - so lighter weights move faster and take less time.

First workout later today!

84.3kg -- going to level off at 84.5kg over next few days. Then slow mass gain to 85.5kg.
    2600 calories today (maintenance ~3000)

Reverse grip barbell bench press: (core lift)
    8 x 95kg o+2d -- 'o' means overloading - I was able to update my rep grid with this new rep PR. '+2d' means two down sets (reduced weight and did RPE-9 on each set - reps not counted)

Romanian deadlift: (core lift)
    8 x 160kg o+1 -- overloaded - and did 1 backoff set at the same weight

DB row: 5 x 5 x 40kg -- RPE 7-8 all sets
    Wide grip pullups: 10 x BW -- RPE 9
    Wide grip behind neck pulldown: 1 set to RPE 8 at 45kg (reps not counted)
    Poundstone curls: 1 set to ouch. (reps not counted)

So today will have hit chest, hams and upper back and bis fairly well. It will have had a secondary effect on tris, delts and glutes. There was also decent scapular retraction thanks to the rows. So tomorrow will prioritise quads, delts, tris and traps
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 11-24-2016 at 04:40 AM.

84.4kg -- 2700 cals

No core lifts today.

Power clean, front squat to push press:
    -- Lots of singles to 65kg -- fast reps minimal rests for about 15 mins continuously.
    -- This works well, the squat and the push press were fast but not snappy so there will be good TUMT. Nevertheless this is intended as a lighter workout and I want to squat tomorrow.

Cable lateral flys: Myo reps 20, 4, 4, 4
    Overhead tricep extension: 2 hard sets ~10 reps

85kg - 2750

Jumpset:

Deadlifts: Many singles from 100kg to 160kg - starting with snatch grip and narrowing
    3 x 3 x 140 - fast as possible

Pullups: many sets of ~8 reps neutral grip.

-- One thing I learned today - you can deadlift with just one strap. I broke the other one last week...
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 11-26-2016 at 08:26 AM.

84.5kg

Back squat: Triples, doubles, singles from 80kg to 137.5kg.

Paused back squat: 3x3x100kg -- not happy with my bottom position core bracing

Reverse grip bench press: Triples from 60 - 95kg

-- Felt fresh afterwards. The main thing it too keep bar speed reasonably fast.

85.3kg

Power clean: triples from 60 to 95kg

Bodyweight pullups: 18, 10
    Close grip cable rows: 1 set

Breathing/paused squats - with 40kg for loosening my hips and training my core

Hamstring curl: 1 declining set
    Preacher curl machine: 3 sets - 1 in each loading position

85.6kg -- hmm, I'm not even eating that much. Could this be inflammation caused by the more aggressive training?

Front squat: triples and doubles from 60kg to 105kg -- my hips feel tweaked. Why can't I keep tightness, even with a belt and valsalver manoeuvre.

Bench press (wide grip, paused at chest): triples from 60kg to 85kg -- kept this fairly light as front delts are a bit too sore

Dips

Cable flys
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 12-01-2016 at 04:52 AM.

85.4kg

Unilateral DB curl and overhead press: Worked up to many singles with 28kg. Time under maximal tension training. Push hard every rep. My right was always fast but my left ground to a halt
    Klokov press with slowed eccentrics: 45, 40kg -- going for muscle damage, satellite cell proliferation. If just have to give myself longer to recover after this bout.

Close grip pulldown: Many sets of 8-10 reps with short rests. Going for pump - which also causes satellite cell proliferation BTW. Plus volume at 50-60% of max.
    8 x BW pullups

Cable laterals (pump)
    DB laterals (slowed eccentrics)

Facepulls
    Cable pulls for teres major - using two high cables either side of me. from T shape to W shape - high rep pump with foam rolling in between

Also did some breathing paused squats with light weight to mess with stance width and try glute PAP exercises. My ankles are not the problem as I thought they might be - just having big problems staying tight at the bottom of the squat at the moment.

** Random thoughts:

If I succeed in producing muscle damage without taking time off that will be good - then I'll gradually increase the frequency of training that bodypart until I need to aim for muscle damage once again. If I can't produce muscle damage, I'll take time off from that movement/muscle group - but without stopping other training. I don't do whole body deloads.

The view by those in the know on exercise variation is not clear. Bret Contreras likes high frequency and high variety - one set of each thing in some cases. Mike Israetel likes a more limited set of lifts and to concentrate on overloading them using progressive volume.

I'm going to apply Bret's view to accessories and Mike's view to core lifts.
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 12-01-2016 at 05:07 AM.

85.7kg -- where does it all come from? Pull day

Glute PAP and foam rollering

Deadlifts (beltless). Many singles from 100kg to 170kg (about 10 at 170). All with good form and core bracing. Practising thrusting hips forwards as I start to pull to tighten the glutes.

Romanians: Repped out with 140kg

Hip thrusters: 100kg - 2 sets to failure

Delts get no work until Mon or Tue. Next week chest is only getting pump / myo reps work. The week after that will be a muscle damage phase.

85.7kg

My new working theory:

The lifecycle of a core lift
    1. 2-3 x Overload sessions with added muscle damage accessories (slowed eccentrics)
    2. A longer period (1-2 months) of TUMT (time under maximal tension) methods plus overload sessions once every couple of weeks or so. Intensity generally rises during this time. Number of sets may have to drop.
    3. When this gets stale, finish with a final 1-2 weeks of only accessories, light pump work, myo reps or BFR (bloodflow restriction) work. A tension deload if you will.
    4. Select a different variant of that lift and repeat.

Overload sessions are rep maxes plus backoff sets

TUMT methods are generally many sets of fixed number of reps. Low RPE but with max possible bar speed. A slowing in bar speed can be used as a way to gauge when to finish

I'm going to run 1 or 2 core lifts per bodypart.

----

Today:

Paused beltless back squat: TUMT method. Finish when popping out of the hole feels slowed
    - 7 sets of 6 reps from 80kg to 112.5kg -- focusing on form, glute activation

Pullups: TUMT method, alternating between:
    - 8 x neutral grip
    - 5 x wide pronated grip -- lost count of number of sets

Curls with BFR: 3 x 20kg -- this is horrible, I could not get the wraps off fast enough after this...
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 12-04-2016 at 04:45 AM.

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Never really done any BFR work. Think its something you will keep doing?
    Eat the damn yolk.

Originally Posted by Gxp23 View Post
    Never really done any BFR work. Think its something you will keep doing?
    Yes, I think so, either that or myo reps are definitely work investigating because they have been shown to have an affect on satellite cell proliferation which is unusual for a protocol that doesn't involve high levels of muscle damage.

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Yes, I think so, either that or myo reps are definitely work investigating because they have been shown to have an affect on satellite cell proliferation which is unusual for a protocol that doesn't involve high levels of muscle damage.
    Was thinking of giving myo reps a go with DB preacher curls last night but I was running on fumes, might give it a go with some Tri work when it comes around.
    Eat the damn yolk.

koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In response to the comment on the other journal,
    I feel it on the front delts and triceps a bit more than when I do the traditional bench O.o
    Could be because I tend to do negative reps when I do reverse grip bench.. kinda forced to, as I'm still adjusting to the technique.
    Been doing it ever other week, but I'll try to be more consistent with it
    Kinda fun switching things up

koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Front squat: triples and doubles from 60kg to 105kg -- my hips feel tweaked. Why can't I keep tightness, even with a belt and valsalver manoeuvre.
    Hips were my biggest setback the past few months..
    Asked for an advice of a former pro-powerlifter I befriended, and he told me to try changing things..
    I would normally hit my big lifts at the start, but I switched things over and wore my legs out with weighted lunges and leg extensions..
    In a way, the pre-exhaustion forced my mindset to have only one option while making it easier on the hips and joints O.o

^I'm practicing squeezing my glutes more to maintain tightness through the movement. This seems to be working so far - hopefully the pause squats will help too.

Today: 85.4kg

Behind the neck push press: Triples from 60kg working up to 4 sets with 80kg

Light power cleans with up to 70kg

Stiff leg deadlifts working up from 110kg to 3 x 5 x 140kg

DB overhead press: 3 x 10 x 18kg

Facpull from a slightly low angle

85.8kg (bloated)

DB row: Overloading session...
    - many sets of 3, 4 and 5 with 44kg

Reverse grip bench press: Myo reps 50kg + 5x4

Close grip cable row - 4-5 sets of slowed eccentrics

Chest fly machine - myo reps

85.7kg

Front squat belted: -- hip feels unstable still so I need to be careful and cannot do max rep speed, must keep it smooth. Not sure belt is helping TBH.
    3 x 90kg
    3 x 92.5kg
    3 x 95kg
    3 x 97.5kg
    3 x 100kg
    4 x 3 x 102.5kg

Power clean singles:
    60kg
    62.5kg
    65kg
    67.5kg
    70kg
    72.5kg
    75kg
    77.5kg
    80kg
    82.5kg
    85kg
    87.5kg
    90kg
    92.5kg
    95kg
    97.5kg
    100kg
    102.5kg
    105kg
    107.5kg + 1 front squat (current PR is 110kg)

Barbell hack squats: high reps with 90, 100kg - slowed eccentrics, myo-ish reps.

Hamstring curl: descending set
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 12-07-2016 at 07:36 AM.

85.7kg

Klokov press: Many sets of 3 with up to 50kg

jumpset with:

Wide grip pullups: many sets of 6 (final set of 12) -- tore a callous, first time I've done this in a long time, ouch!

Dual cable lateral fly
    Facepull

85.7kg

Deadlift (beltless): Triples
    140kg
    150kg
    155kg
    157.5kg
    160kg
    162.5kg
    165kg
    167.5kg
    170kg
    -- A bit awkward with tape on my hand but I am really pleased with my core bracing / glute activation. When I get it right, the bar flies up, the difference is quite startling.
    -- A good cue is this. Deliberately round your back before pulling, take a big breath, hold it and thrust your stomach forwards as you pull. Some people pull their shins away from the bar and do a hip thrust towards the bar as they take the strain - but I couldn't make that work.

Hip thrusters: 2 sets with 102.5kg

Some chest cable flies. I start my new bench exercises on Sunday...
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 12-09-2016 at 05:15 AM.

86kg

Bench press - paused, wide grip. Triples:
    70kg
    75kg
    77.5kg
    80kg
    82.5kg
    85kg
    87.5kg
    90kg
    92.5kg
    90kg