sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Why is SAN Fish Fats so expensive?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/san/tri.html
    $17.00 for 60 capsules? Why so expensive?

Optimum has a similar product priced at $12.00 for 200 capsules.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/fish.html

What's so special about SAN's fish oil? Does the "Highly Concentrated Nordic Fish Oil" really justify the price?

Just curious....

=D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sam_swift View Post
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/san/tri.html
    $17.00 for 60 capsules? Why so expensive?

Optimum has a similar product priced at $12.00 for 200 capsules.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/fish.html

What's so special about SAN's fish oil? Does the "Highly Concentrated Nordic Fish Oil" really justify the price?

Just curious....
    Did you actually look at the labels? The products are not similar at all. Its called triple strength fish fats because one pill contains 3 times the omega 3s as a normal fish oil pill (ie the optimum). One SAN TSFF has 580.5 mg of EPA and 297 mg of DHA. The ON has a combined 300 mg of EPA/DHA. Both good products, some people just want alot more than 300 mgs of EPA/DHA a day. I prefer using 2 triple str a day as opposed to 6 regular. But the ON ones have an enteric coating while the SAN ones dont. You shouldnt get any burps from the ON. Hopefully this helps.

sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sam_swift is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by =D View Post
    Did you actually look at the labels? The products are not similar at all. Its called triple strength fish fats because one pill contains 3 times the omega 3s as a normal fish oil pill (ie the optimum). One SAN TSFF has 580.5 mg of EPA and 297 mg of DHA. The ON has a combined 300 mg of EPA/DHA. Both good products, some people just want alot more than 300 mgs of EPA/DHA a day. I prefer using 2 triple str a day as opposed to 6 regular. But the ON ones have an enteric coating while the SAN ones dont. You shouldnt get any burps from the ON. Hopefully this helps.
    What I gathered from your post is that you need 6 ON Fish Oil capsules to ingest the equivalent amount of fish oil and EPA/DHA that 2 SAN Fish Oil capsules will give you. Did I get that right?

In that case, ON is still cheaper basically, right? If you take 6 ON Fish Oil capsules for 30 days that will amount to 180 capsules per month and you will still have some left over, all this for $12/month. On the other hand, you would need to take two capsules of SAN Fish Fats per day for a month, equating to $17/month.

It's still over priced, wouldn't you say? Or am I missing something? It still seems expensive, are they charging for convenience?
    Last edited by sam_swift; 04-03-2010 at 05:03 PM.

BoingoBoingoBoingoBoingo TinyMan's Avatar
    TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by =D View Post
    if you consider a 1:.3 SDA:EPA conversion factor, you actually boost the EPA content a bit higher overall. SDA is a kind of cool source of EPA (after conversion), as it is a plant-based FA, instead of from fish. It makes it a much more easily renewed source of omega-3 FA's.
    I remember being relevant.

=D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000) =D is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What I gathered from your post is that you need 6 ON Fish Oil capsules to ingest the equivalent amount of fish oil and EPA/DHA that 2 SAN Fish Oil capsules will give you. Did I get that right?
    Yep
    In that case, ON is still cheaper basically, right? If you take 6 ON Fish Oil capsules for 30 days that will amount to 180 capsules per month and you will still have some left over, all this for $12/month. On the other hand, you would need to take two capsules of SAN Fish Fats per day for a month, equating to $17/month. Yes this is right, also dose depending on what you feel like you need. I use alot because I have joint issues, if youre using it just for general health I would use 2-3 of the ON ones a day (or similar product).

It's still over priced, wouldn't you say? Or am I missing something? It still seems so freaking expensive!!
    Its up to you. At 2 a day the ON fish oil really isn't expensive at all, especially for them being enteric coated.

Originally Posted by TinyMan View Post
    if you consider a 1:.3 SDA:EPA conversion factor, you actually boost the EPA content a bit higher overall. SDA is a kind of cool source of EPA (after conversion), as it is a plant-based FA, instead of from fish. It makes it a much more easily renewed source of omega-3 FA's.
    Okay, now, in English please?

I need a good reason to spend an extra $5.00 each month for, what appears to be, less product.

TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Fatty Acids = good, McDonalds = bad?

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

In that case, ON is still cheaper basically, right? If you take 6 ON Fish Oil capsules for 30 days that will amount to 180 capsules per month and you will still have some left over, all this for $12/month. On the other hand, you would need to take two capsules of SAN Fish Fats per day for a month, equating to $17/month.

It's still over priced, wouldn't you say? Or am I missing something? It still seems expensive, are they charging for convenience?
    ON is $0.18 per gram of EPA+DHA and SAN is $0.34 per gram of EPA+DHA. NOW's concentrated products are less expensive than both.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I need a good reason to spend an extra $5.00 each month for, what appears to be, less product.
    So you only have to take 2 a day instead of 6.

Though honestly I would get the ON in this case since they are enteric coated.

Check out NOW Ultra Omega, NOW Super EPA, CL's Oximega Fish Oil.

Heck, if you just want super cheap fish oil you can find 1000 fish oil caps for $20 if you look hard enough.

I personally find the best deal at warehouse clubs. $13 for 150 1.2g gels with 684 combined EPA/DHA.
    Latest Reviews:

My huge list of informative links: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132306613

Xtreme Formulations UP2 Multi-Flavor Review!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129562583

Fatty Acids = good, McDonalds = bad?
    Lol, really?

You mentioned SDA in your post. I noticed that SAN has SDA but ON doesn't. I was asking for clarification, seems like you know a lot more than I do in regards to this particular category.

Lol, what?

You mentioned SDA in your post. I noticed that SAN has SDA but ON doesn't. I was asking for clarification, seems like you know a lot more than I do when it comes to this particular category.
    Technically, it was true.

SDA = Stearidonic Acid.

"Results: Dietary SDA increased EPA and docosapentaenoic acid concentrations but not DHA concentrations in erythrocyte and in plasma phospholipids. The relative effectiveness of the tested dietary fatty acids in increasing tissue EPA was 1:0.3:0.07 for EPA:SDA:ALA."

So put it this way. By ingesting SDA, you actually end up converting it to EPA. I don't know of any impact to DHA levels. ALA by contrast, is about 1/4 as effective (a 1:.07 conversion like that is pretty bad). The net result is the EPA content of SAN's product raises a bit.

I find SDA cool, because it can be sourced from plants - it does not have to come from fish. In terms of a sustainable future, I doubt that fish oil is going to be the way to go. Stearidonic acid, or similar, may help shoulder some of the demand for omega-3 products.

In the end, SAN's product does cost more, and there's no way around it. If you go by price per gram, ON is the more cost-effective product. SAN's is more convenient, as you have less pills to take (that's one of the reasons I use it - the other one being I'm a fanboy, having worked for them for 2.5 years) - but honestly, it's really just that. It's more convenient, and I like the people at SAN far more than any experience I've had with the ON employees (personal preference).

That's how you get ants. BobisMighty's Avatar
    BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lol, really?

You mentioned SDA in your post. I noticed that SAN has SDA but ON doesn't. I was asking for clarification, seems like you know a lot more than I do in regards to this particular category.
    think of it this way. why would you want to ingest more fat than you really have to? if you get 300mg of epa/dha, that's 700mg that doesn't do anything. you need at least 1.5g of combined epa/dha for it to even be worth it to take omega-3s.

not to mention there are much cheaper fish oils than ON if you don't care about that sort of thing.
    MISC STRENGTH CREW

Rugby training log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125605233

World Rugby S&C Level 1 coach.

Loves "Whispering Eye's" Achilles_1986's Avatar
    Achilles_1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Achilles_1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Achilles_1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Achilles_1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Achilles_1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Achilles_1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Achilles_1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Achilles_1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Achilles_1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Achilles_1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Achilles_1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BobisMighty View Post
    think of it this way. why would you want to ingest more fat than you really have to? if you get 300mg of epa/dha, that's 700mg that doesn't do anything. you need at least 1.5g of combined epa/dha for it to even be worth it to take omega-3s.

not to mention there are much cheaper fish oils than ON if you don't care about that sort of thing.
    Agreed! Most fish oil products that are cheaper as mentioned here are alot lower in the combo of EPA/DHA as BM mentioned. Look for products that are high in this ratio.

Technically, it was true.

SDA = Stearidonic Acid.

"Results: Dietary SDA increased EPA and docosapentaenoic acid concentrations but not DHA concentrations in erythrocyte and in plasma phospholipids. The relative effectiveness of the tested dietary fatty acids in increasing tissue EPA was 1:0.3:0.07 for EPA:SDA:ALA."

So put it this way. By ingesting SDA, you actually end up converting it to EPA. I don't know of any impact to DHA levels. ALA by contrast, is about 1/4 as effective (a 1:.07 conversion like that is pretty bad). The net result is the EPA content of SAN's product raises a bit.

I find SDA cool, because it can be sourced from plants - it does not have to come from fish. In terms of a sustainable future, I doubt that fish oil is going to be the way to go. Stearidonic acid, or similar, may help shoulder some of the demand for omega-3 products.

In the end, SAN's product does cost more, and there's no way around it. If you go by price per gram, ON is the more cost-effective product. SAN's is more convenient, as you have less pills to take (that's one of the reasons I use it - the other one being I'm a fanboy, having worked for them for 2.5 years) - but honestly, it's really just that. It's more convenient, and I like the people at SAN far more than any experience I've had with the ON employees (personal preference).
    Thanks for that, everything is much clearer now.

This thread was a success, thanks to all who participated.

I think I am going to go with Controlled Labs Fish Oil.

4 Capsules per day = 1 bottle per month @ $18.00.

Provides 1600mg EPA, 800mg DHA, and 4g of Omega 3s every day.

BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BobisMighty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for that, everything is much clearer now.

This thread was a success, thanks to all who participated.

I think I am going to go with Controlled Labs Fish Oil.

4 Capsules per day = 1 bottle per month @ $18.00.

Provides 1600mg EPA, 800mg DHA, and 4g of Omega 3s every day.
    they had it on wheycheap for 12.99 this past monday. too bad you missed out.
    MISC STRENGTH CREW

Rugby training log

Originally Posted by BobisMighty View Post
    they had it on wheycheap for 12.99 this past monday. too bad you missed out.
    I never ordered from there. Are they reputable? How fast do the products arrive?

When I order from bb.com, I usually get my order the next day; at the very max two days later.

I never ordered from there. Are they reputable? How fast do the products arrive?

When I order from bb.com, I usually get my order the next day; at the very max two days later.
    wheycheap is bodybuilding.com's deal of the day website.
    MISC STRENGTH CREW

Rugby training log

more_knowledge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) more_knowledge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) more_knowledge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) more_knowledge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) more_knowledge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) more_knowledge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) more_knowledge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) more_knowledge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) more_knowledge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) more_knowledge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) more_knowledge has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You didn't think you were going to get all those extra pcb's for free did ya?

Registered User CONTROLLED LABS's Avatar
    CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    sans triple fats and CL orange oximega fish oil are the best two on the market imo, both are solid choices and high potency
    Specials & insider info
    https://www.********.com/controlledlabs

www.bodybuilding.com/store/clabs/clabs.htm

FREE CL stuff for your labels
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6654831

uforce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uforce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uforce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uforce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uforce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uforce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uforce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uforce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uforce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uforce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uforce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CONTROLLED LABS View Post
    sans triple fats and CL orange oximega fish oil are the best two on the market imo, both are solid choices and high potency
    CL Fanboy here, and I approve this message.

naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by shadar View Post

Though honestly I would get the ON in this case since they are enteric coated.
    Enteric coating doesn't mean all that much, people still report fish oil burps with some enteric coated products. If you have a high quality fish oil, they won't repeat on you even without enteric coating.
    Free Agent

Instagram.com/naturalguy2.0

Registered User CONTROLLED LABS's Avatar
    CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CONTROLLED LABS has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by uforce View Post
    CL Fanboy here, and I approve this message.
    glad to hear it: PCB test also complete, only company on bb.com that I am aware of to publish this:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...&postcount=203
    Specials & insider info
    https://www.********.com/controlledlabs

www.bodybuilding.com/store/clabs/clabs.htm

FREE CL stuff for your labels
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6654831