Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ilovethe80s that's insane...major respect...you're officially my new inspiration. Also you manage to look super cool about it!

Figured out my deadlift problem. Tiny hands. Don't laugh. I mean they are teeny tiny and have very short fingers. Someone pointed it out to me at the gym. So there ya go, just got to find a solution now.

On the plus side, squatted 80kg today which is 1.6x bodyweight. 6 months ago I was squatting only 30kg! And bench is progressing nicely, not sure on 1RM but getting some decent reps at 45kg. Happy times.

alexisap will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexisap will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexisap will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexisap will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexisap will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexisap will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexisap will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexisap will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexisap will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexisap will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexisap will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm so glad I just found this section. Newest improvement on my lifts is deadlift PR at 315 lb yesterday
    "The thrill of trying what doesn't seem possible...this is the place where fear meets faith and the face of God."

"you want results? then train like it."

Bench: 155 lb
    Squat: 245 lb
    Deadlift: 315 lb

MAM77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Have you tried using a 15kg womens bar?

Originally Posted by happyplace View Post
    ilovethe80s that's insane...major respect...you're officially my new inspiration. Also you manage to look super cool about it!

Figured out my deadlift problem. Tiny hands. Don't laugh. I mean they are teeny tiny and have very short fingers. Someone pointed it out to me at the gym. So there ya go, just got to find a solution now.

On the plus side, squatted 80kg today which is 1.6x bodyweight. 6 months ago I was squatting only 30kg! And bench is progressing nicely, not sure on 1RM but getting some decent reps at 45kg. Happy times.

happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MAM77 View Post
    Have you tried using a 15kg womens bar?
    Thanks for the idea. I did that today and just taped my hands with zinc oxide tape. Worked great! I already did squats so wasn't looking to go heavy but 70kg was not a problem at all. I guess that would not be an option if I wanted to compete though?

Finally missed a PB today, so it's deload week and when I come back, I should probably run a real program. Not sure where to start...deadlifts I can cope with, since it's going to be like starting from scratch, but my squat is stuck and bench is just barely improving. I've been running 5x5 mostly, with the odd 1RM test. Before that I ran a program where you would aim for 30 reps in 7 or fewer sets. That worked quite nicely in some respects. I just want to hit big numbers! Any suggestions for what I could try?

Edit:
    If it's relevent, in the past 3 months I increased squat from 50->80kg and bench from 30>45kg. That was using 5x5, mostly.
    Last edited by happyplace; 03-29-2013 at 02:10 AM.

KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for the idea. I did that today and just taped my hands with zinc oxide tape. Worked great! I already did squats so wasn't looking to go heavy but 70kg was not a problem at all. I guess that would not be an option if I wanted to compete though?
    You can't use a 15kg bar or tape your hands in a meet so you just need to practice more. I take it you haven't tried chalk?
    Competition Wilks: 406

Powerlifting log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146773603

Videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AgentLunacy
    http://www.youtube.com/TeamWildIron

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)

Finally missed a PB today, so it's deload week and when I come back, I should probably run a real program. Not sure where to start...deadlifts I can cope with, since it's going to be like starting from scratch, but my squat is stuck and bench is just barely improving. I've been running 5x5 mostly, with the odd 1RM test. Before that I ran a program where you would aim for 30 reps in 7 or fewer sets. That worked quite nicely in some respects. I just want to hit big numbers! Any suggestions for what I could try?

Edit:
    If it's relevent, in the past 3 months I increased squat from 50->80kg and bench from 30>45kg. That was using 5x5, mostly.
    You got vids of your lifts?

Originally Posted by KimValentine View Post
    You can't use a 15kg bar or tape your hands in a meet so you just need to practice more. I take it you haven't tried chalk?
    I have not competed in power lifting before, have used a women's bar for Olympic lifting especially helpful with the snatch and clean and jerk.

Can I ask if those competitions have a novice group? I would not consider my lifts at an expert level but would like to start somewhere

Edit:

Nice improvements!

KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KimValentine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MAM77 View Post
    I have not competed in power lifting before, have used a women's bar for Olympic lifting especially helpful with the snatch and clean and jerk.

Can I ask if those competitions have a novice group? I would not consider my lifts at an expert level but would like to start somewhere
    Using a women's bar for Olympic lifting is fine, just not good for powerlifting since you can't use one in competition. There isn't a novice group in any federation that I'm aware of, but if you can lift the bar, you can do most meets.

Powerlifting log:

Videos:

Originally Posted by KimValentine View Post
    Using a women's bar for Olympic lifting is fine, just not good for powerlifting since you can't use one in competition. There isn't a novice group in any federation that I'm aware of, but if you can lift the bar, you can do most meets.
    Ok I just ask about Novice group because I am at 155 (a bit over should be at 145)

DL 275
    BP 150
    Squat 200 (but havent retested the 1 rep max for this in a bit)

ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    sorry for the late posting but this is streaming today incase anyone is interested (SPF Cincinnati Women's Pro/Am Powerlifting Meet):
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/womensproam

I am jumping up and down watching it wishing I were there, people busting records and PR's left and right, looks so awesome! I think I want to plan on going next year if I can get a babysitter. Big IF haha. Who's in ?
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55
    Meet lifts : Squat 275 | Bench 170 | Dead 400

Journal : http://tinyurl.com/80s-lifting-journal

mom to 3 boys / spend my life at grocery store crew

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ilovethe80s View Post
    sorry for the late posting but this is streaming today incase anyone is interested (SPF Cincinnati Women's Pro/Am Powerlifting Meet):
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/womensproam

I am jumping up and down watching it wishing I were there, people busting records and PR's left and right, looks so awesome! I think I want to plan on going next year if I can get a babysitter. Big IF haha. Who's in ?
    Actually works over here! I'm impressed

Just come in and they're pulling over 500lbs... seriously hope this is equipped!

Also is SPF drugs tested.....??
    Last edited by wakechica; 04-13-2013 at 01:50 PM.

ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by wakechica View Post
    Actually works over here! I'm impressed

Just come in and they're pulling over 500lbs... seriously hope this is equipped!

The deads toward the end were equipped. Not sure on drug testing... I don't think they are, but I could be wrong. I was never asked to take a drug test but I'm not pulling no 500 pounds either
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Originally Posted by ilovethe80s View Post
    The deads toward the end were equipped. Not sure on drug testing... I don't think they are, but I could be wrong. I was never asked to take a drug test but I'm not pulling no 500 pounds either
    Soon, young Padwan!

Originally Posted by wakechica View Post

lol.. definitely not.

Powerlifting log:

Videos:

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I need some advice.

There's a comp mid-august here. I would love to go (my husband is going too). My strength has gone way downhill since having my kids. I would like to do a good strength program right now but I just don't have the energy for Starting Strength (my baby is only 5 months and nurses all night, or poos all night, yeesh). Is Wendler the best next option?

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Or Madcow???

Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    Or Madcow???

Madcow is good - 3x per week and doesn't take too long. If you have time to do 2 smaller workouts/day I would recommend Sheiko #29 as I know you can't often dedicate an hour with kids! Sheiko could be done in 2x30-35min sessions/workout day (3x/week). 5/3/1
    I don't have much experience with but I've heard good things.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've always found that I need at least 2 real work sets to make progress on anything, so I wouldn't do Madcow's or 5/3/1 as written. I modified Madcow's last year and had decent results with my modifications:

Instead of 5x5 on Monday, I did 6x5 with 2x5 at the top weight (so, 5x50%, 5x62.5%, 5x75%, 5x87.5kg, 2x5x100%).
    Instead of 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 on Friday, I did 4x5, 1x3, 1xAMRAP. The set that's supposed to be for 8 reps is the same weight as your third set, so 75% of your heaviest weight. I found I was able to do 20-rep squats this way, and managed 30 reps of bench press one time.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Thanks guys!

I would actually really be happy with a 2x 30 minute a day thing (assuming it's 3 days, or at least can be done M/W/F and then S/S) since I have all M/W/F free (2 nap times I can train during) while my oldest is at school, and I'm using my home gym so no travel time.

20 rep squats... sounds like suicide!!!! Haha!

The Sheiko #29 on EliteFTS seems broken, is there a better source?

The Sheiko #29 on EliteFTS seems broken, is there a better source?
    Yeah my log about 2-3 pages back. I link it from original ChaseT link.
    Google search "wakehica ChaseT Sheiko bodybuilding.com" and it should find it. Sorry cant link on my phone (I'll have a search though)

Just to update but I started running Wendler 5 3 1 after this (I admit I suck at programming at an intermediate/advanced level so I figure I might as well use the program for a book I paid for... yes, I paid for it! Hah! I wonder if I'm one of the few who pays for e-books these days).

So far, I've done 3 days (tomorrow is Squat so perhaps I'm speaking prematurely) but I feel good. Overall soreness but the good kind, not bad DOMS, and it gives me a chance to concentrate on each lift and recover well. My baby is sleeping at night (but only when he's with me in bed lol) so that's really helping my recovery.

Okay, looks like this is a go! My lifts will suck but whatever, I will kill it in 2014!

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just to update but I started running Wendler 5 3 1 after this (I admit I suck at programming at an intermediate/advanced level so I figure I might as well use the program for a book I paid for... yes, I paid for it! Hah! I wonder if I'm one of the few who pays for e-books these days).

So far, I've done 3 days (tomorrow is Squat so perhaps I'm speaking prematurely) but I feel good. Overall soreness but the good kind, not bad DOMS, and it gives me a chance to concentrate on each lift and recover well. My baby is sleeping at night (but only when he's with me in bed lol) so that's really helping my recovery.

Okay, looks like this is a go! My lifts will suck but whatever, I will kill it in 2014!
    I bought the original 5/3/1 manual a couple years ago. On the one hand, I think I paid a fair price for it. On the other hand, I didn't feel that I got my money's worth because I already knew 99% of it (the main things in the book are the base program [available for free on the web], assistance line-ups [BBB, triumvirate and INDJS are all discussed in articles on the program], and exercise recommendations [I already had a vast knowledge of exercise options so there wasn't much new in there, if anything]).
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    I bought the original 5/3/1 manual a couple years ago. On the one hand, I think I paid a fair price for it. On the other hand, I didn't feel that I got my money's worth because I already knew 99% of it (the main things in the book are the base program [available for free on the web], assistance line-ups [BBB, triumvirate and INDJS are all discussed in articles on the program], and exercise recommendations [I already had a vast knowledge of exercise options so there wasn't much new in there, if anything]).
    I totally agree with you, actually it's my husband who paid for it. It's just hard considering the SS book is like $30 and contains a massive amount of information, but then somethign like 5/3/1 is so basic but not much cheaper!

I'm feeling a lot better about this whole thing now. With a decent night of sleep and a McDonalds breakfast (early medical appointment for baby meant leaving the house at 6am!), I managed to get past a bodyweight squat (and I mean 61kg/134.6lbs, not unweighted HAH). Not fantastic but I got 20 weeks to go and I think that's darn better than most women who have a 5 month old!

Amylynnb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile How much is too Much?

I workout arms 6 days a week am I doing more harm then good? How often should I lift? I currently do three sets of 15 is this to much or ideal? In need of some help!

I'm feeling a lot better about this whole thing now. With a decent night of sleep and a McDonalds breakfast (early medical appointment for baby meant leaving the house at 6am!), I managed to get past a bodyweight squat (and I mean 61kg/134.6lbs, not unweighted HAH). Not fantastic but I got 20 weeks to go and I think that's darn better than most women who have a 5 month old!
    Hey Sonti I like the 5/3/1 idea, easier to recover from with the main lift and accessories, and really flexible as far as fitting in in as opposed to programs where you do the big 3 in the same day. 20 weeks is a good amount of time esp if you feel that you are a bit untrained right now, you'll progress quickly!
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55

Ladies, my squat has stalled at 82.5kg So sad!! If I can get it above that, I'd break the British record in my weight category. So I want to do that (duh) before the year is out. Thinking it's time to run a program, but I am looking for something which allows a good amount of recovery time since I am a serious distance runner and want to work my training days around races when necessary. So squatting 2 days a week would be ideal. Any suggestions? I am totally open to ideas

ETA: 82.5kg is 182lbs in case that makes a difference, and my body weight is 51kg/112lbs.