Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ooooo i love talking about grip.

There are some pretty cool grip workouts that you can do with plates and thick dumbells. The gym that i go to has the grip guru...that guy is scary with what he can do with his grip. I will do a google serach and see if i can find some of his stuff. I have actually seen the dude bend horse shoes!

I had the iron mind grip trainer that was amazing! I would keep it at my desk at work until someone stole it...made me mad .

Here are some good grip ideas:
    http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...ips/index.html

I need to work on mine since i do japanese sword fighting and fencing which is ALL in your grip and footwork.

Raar!!! Lift heavier!!! FeralGoth's Avatar
    FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jen_K View Post
    I just bought a 150lb grip trainer. I have pretty weak grips, and cannot close it with one hand. -I do come very close though
    Cool! Let us know when you close it with one hand!
    GiryaGirl.com Kettlebell Training for Women

FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50) FeralGoth will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Linds33 View Post
    Ooooo i love talking about grip.

There are some pretty cool grip workouts that you can do with plates and thick dumbells. The gym that i go to has the grip guru...that guy is scary with what he can do with his grip. I will do a google serach and see if i can find some of his stuff. I have actually seen the dude bend horse shoes!

I had the iron mind grip trainer that was amazing! I would keep it at my desk at work until someone stole it...made me mad .

Here are some good grip ideas:
    http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...ips/index.html

I need to work on mine since i do japanese sword fighting and fencing which is ALL in your grip and footwork.
    What a great resource, I bookmarked the heck out of that page. I have some of the stuff in the articles laying around - might have to start on this some today!

swaggerlikeus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by FeralGoth View Post
    Strongwomen: I was thinking about getting one of the Captains of Crush grip trainers - wasn't sure where to start though, I have a fairly wicked grip from kettlebells and lots and lots of pull ups...

Anyone here use these grip trainers?? Suggestions???
    I bought a 100 and 150 from HeavyGrips, which I like. My grip is decent after a good bit of training (kettlebells, max deadlifts, plate pinches every other day) -- I have trouble closing the 150 for reps, but am getting there.

I remember looking at the HGs and the COCs and deciding for the former, but I can't remember why anymore. OH -- it was because the HGs are sized slightly smaller, and I have smallish hands.

Very cool - I will check those out

Originally Posted by swaggerlikeus View Post
    I bought a 100 and 150 from HeavyGrips, which I like. My grip is decent after a good bit of training (kettlebells, max deadlifts, plate pinches every other day) -- I have trouble closing the 150 for reps, but am getting there.

I remember looking at the HGs and the COCs and deciding for the former, but I can't remember why anymore. OH -- it was because the HGs are sized slightly smaller, and I have smallish hands.

BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Happy Birthday to Me (belated)!!

Just got the fractional plates I ordered!! .25, .5, .75, and 1 pound. They're so cute!!

My upper body is soooo weak compared to lower -- definitely can't progress in any sort of linear way and am pretty sure I'm not going to be able to sustain even 5 lb/month increases on bench and press. Just started presses about a month ago and got to 60 lb, think I will be able to hit 65 for at least one rep next cycle, but have doubts (which are realistic enough that I can't quite get them out of my mind) about 70 the next month. Probably a record-fast stall on 5/3/1 lol. Going for increased reps is, for me, just okay, and I'd much rather be able to make smaller, more regular gains in weight. I guess if you set your goals low enough, you're more likely to meet them, haha.

SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000)
    BestYearEver - How is 5/3/1? I've been toying with the idea, but haven't decided yet.
    Me vs. Me: Lifting with UCTD: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170084343

BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50) BestYearEver will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

I like it a lot, so far. The idea of being able to try for a new PR every week except deload, in reps throughout and then absolute weight on week 3, fits with my personality and training style. The flexibility with assistance/secondary exercises is also good -- there's enough time to do things I really like (dips for example) plus rehab/prehab stuff that I need to do right now, even if those aren't my favorite at all.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to make progress on upper body. My pitiful bench just stalled around 95 pounds for double or triple -- and this is going at it several ways: 5x5, 3x5, working up to heavy singles, pin presses, etc. Starting slow on this (elbow tendonitis not totally gone), so hopefully I'll be able to add 5 pounds a month for a couple of months and get to 100 pounds. But I'm determined to get there, and more , even if I can't do it in 5 pound increments -- hence the fractional plates. What I really want, someday, is to bench press my bodyweight. Hopefully, before I'm a senior citizen.

I'll let you know how it goes. Getting lots of reps for lower body stuff, like 10 dl at 175#, but then only 4 reps at 60# on the military press. So I don't want to hit the ceiling too soon on bench/press, while I'm able to make good gains on squats/dl on this program.

SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I may have to give 5/3/1 a try when I stall again.

Looking around this forum and reading some of the posts makes me SO HAPPY that I am more interested in strength than appearance. Some people seem really miserable trying to acheive their perfect bodies, not to mention the way some talk about people with normal levels of BF and cellulite. I'd just be happy with a 225 lbs DL, regardless of what I looked like doing it.
    Last edited by SophieM; 04-25-2010 at 11:54 AM.
    Me vs. Me: Lifting with UCTD: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170084343

That's so true. While appearance is important to me, , I think any improvements in that area will come really, really slowly -- hard to stay motivated since I have no plans to compete in bb or figure. But what has gotten me to the point where I am right now -- very happy with how I look and feel -- is lifting as heavy as I can; what keeps me motivated is trying to get stronger and move more weights.

I really want to do 225 lb deadlifts too! I think (hope!?!) that 5/3/1 will take me there. The last reps at medium-heavy weight really start slowing down, kind of like they feel when doing heavier weight -- so I think it'll give me confidence as I work up in weight. Confidence in my form and more practice keeping speed up throughout.

Somehow I just don't have much ability to do that with heavy-feeling bench and press. Maybe I'll learn with this program!

tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I did my first tire flip alone yesterday!

The smallest tire we have is around 550, and is very smooth, making is tough to grab. I'm only able to do one flip at a time, but next time I'll get more...

I need to have a break/deload week, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself to take it. I guess i need to schedule other plans so I am unable to workout. How do you guys work in deload weeks?

Originally Posted by SophieM View Post
    I may have to give 5/3/1 a try when I stall again.

Looking around this forum and reading some of the posts makes me SO HAPPY that I am more interested in strength than appearance. Some people seem really miserable trying to acheive their perfect bodies, not to mention the way some talk about people with normal levels of BF and cellulite. I'd just be happy with a 225 lbs DL, regardless of what I looked like doing it.
    Originally Posted by BestYearEver View Post
    That's so true. While appearance is important to me, , I think any improvements in that area will come really, really slowly -- hard to stay motivated since I have no plans to compete in bb or figure. But what has gotten me to the point where I am right now -- very happy with how I look and feel -- is lifting as heavy as I can; what keeps me motivated is trying to get stronger and move more weights.

Somehow I just don't have much ability to do that with heavy-feeling bench and press. Maybe I'll learn with this program!
    Agreeing with both of you, athletics are a huge part of my life - really the major social "thing" I do. I find it much easier to stay focused if my goals are strength orientated. I also find that my entire life (school, work, athletics, nutrition, social, etc) runs much more smoothly when I am keeping a healthy balance in all areas. I haven't been able to diet in a healthy way yet...dieting takes too much focus for me ATM.

I do somewhat train for looks (ie. right now training shoulders 3x a week to hopefully get bigger shoulders), but I find it easier to just eat healthy and not focus so much on cutting/bulking. I think about food enough as it is!

July63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) July63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) July63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) July63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) July63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) July63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) July63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) July63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) July63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) July63 is on a distinguished road. (+10) July63 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Curious - can someone explain the wide leg stance compared to the regular shoulder width?

Love this forum!

Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
    I always love looking for videos of great lifts, and there is no one better than Laura Phelps. Check out her new record (for new powerlifters, pay attention to her form , it's perfect)

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/14921

Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000)
    this sticky needs to become a separate forum!! My vote is in!

Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by July63 View Post
    Curious - can someone explain the wide leg stance compared to the regular shoulder width?

Love this forum!
    Possibly to create more of a back arch? I kind of tested it yesterday and with the wider bench press stance i was able to create a higher arch without much effort.

tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by July63 View Post

Love this forum!
    Originally Posted by Linds33 View Post
    Possibly to create more of a back arch? I kind of tested it yesterday and with the wider bench press stance i was able to create a higher arch without much effort.
    leg stance in squat or arm width in bench?

wider legs makes a shorter distance to travel down, it also changes your gravity so it's more glutes handling the weight

i'm not sure about the arch, but a wider arm width would also shorten the distance traveled.

A shorter distance is a good thing for a PLer, it means more weight.

BTW. Runner - how's the traiing going?? I want to hear how the meet goes!

swaggerlikeus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tina722 View Post
    I did my first tire flip alone yesterday!

The smallest tire we have is around 550, and is very smooth, making is tough to grab. I'm only able to do one flip at a time, but next time I'll get more...
    Yay! I just did my first today. Way smaller than yours, though...

Sponsored by APT PRO GEAR RImuscle's Avatar
    RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RImuscle has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Talking Hi!

Oh how cool a female powerlifting thread! Most awesome! Hi everyone!
    Sponsored by APT ProGear

Originally Posted by swaggerlikeus View Post
    Yay! I just did my first today. Way smaller than yours, though...
    Awesome! I can't believe how much it gets my heart rate up. So much fun!

Originally Posted by RImuscle View Post
    Oh how cool a female powerlifting thread! Most awesome! Hi everyone!
    Hi! I see you compete...training for anything atm?

Opinions on dragondoor.com?

Just found this site today, while searching for a good strongman split. Some of the articles are pretty good.

Article on staying tense during lifting:
    http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/575/

Article on strongman lifting:
    http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/77/

My gym got rings - like the ones they use in gymnastics. I can't believe how tough they are. I can balance, but forget trying to do dips or move at all really. It's exciting to have a new toy though!

hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Opinions on dragondoor.com?

Just found this site today, while searching for a good strongman split. Some of the articles are pretty good.

Article on staying tense during lifting:
    http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/575/

Article on strongman lifting:
    http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/77/

My gym got rings - like the ones they use in gymnastics. I can't believe how tough they are. I can balance, but forget trying to do dips or move at all really. It's exciting to have a new toy though!
    Congrats on the tire flip Tina! This is a great thread.....I can't wait to start powerlifting! I'm toying with the idea of competing in powerlifting but I want to get with a trainer first.....I just love lifting heavy and getting strong!

Great thread!
    Push it to the limit!!!!

Favorite saying - GO GET IT!

I am a "beastess" - thanks Brian!!!

12-11-10 first powerlifting meet
    314.16/187/341 - 843 lbs total raw!

3-26-11 USPA state championship
    314.16/198.7/352 - 865lbs total raw - best female raw lifter (Open division)

On to nationals!!!

RIOSHOWTIME2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RIOSHOWTIME2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RIOSHOWTIME2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RIOSHOWTIME2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RIOSHOWTIME2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RIOSHOWTIME2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RIOSHOWTIME2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RIOSHOWTIME2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RIOSHOWTIME2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RIOSHOWTIME2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RIOSHOWTIME2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Omg im so glad yall made this forum.i am also very seriously tryna get into powerlifting but i dont know much as i need to know to get into it. I am looking forward to making friends with those who have the same aspirations as i do. I would love to learn from everyone.
    THE OFFICIAL FEMALE FREAK OF NATURE

OFFICIAL ANIMAL HRT TEAM SHOWTIME!!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140127773

Registered User patriarcaangela's Avatar
    patriarcaangela is on a distinguished road. (+10) patriarcaangela is on a distinguished road. (+10) patriarcaangela is on a distinguished road. (+10) patriarcaangela is on a distinguished road. (+10) patriarcaangela is on a distinguished road. (+10) patriarcaangela is on a distinguished road. (+10) patriarcaangela is on a distinguished road. (+10) patriarcaangela is on a distinguished road. (+10) patriarcaangela is on a distinguished road. (+10) patriarcaangela is on a distinguished road. (+10) patriarcaangela is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking

yay! finally a PL thread here
    Jesus and weightlifting is the real deal

Does anyone get the Powerlifting USA magazine? Is it any good?

So apparently my gym is sponsoring a PL competition this august!!!

Who's close enough to come? Houston, TX
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172554141

I wish my gym would sponser a PL competition. It's too small though, and most of the members are weak LOL.

I had a GREAT workout today. PR'ed BIG TIME on DL. 205 for 4 reps. Hell yeah. 225 here I come!!

hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    So apparently my gym is sponsoring a PL competition this august!!!

Who's close enough to come? Houston, TX
    that sounds great!! I wish I could come!
    Push it to the limit!!!!

On to nationals!!!

I wish my gym would sponser a PL competition. It's too small though, and most of the members are weak LOL.

I had a GREAT workout today. PR'ed BIG TIME on DL. 205 for 4 reps. Hell yeah. 225 here I come!!

Awesome!!!! Fabulous job!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172554141

Awesome!!!! Fabulous job!

Thanks! I actually did 225 lbs today. It was a good week for the DL.

Thanks! I actually did 225 lbs today. It was a good week for the DL.
    awesome! I'm glad you made it!
    Push it to the limit!!!!

On to nationals!!!

Way to go Sophie! You and I are at about the same place -- except you just passed me up, lol. I did 205 for 4 reps a couple of weeks ago. Silly question but I've been wondering for a while -- did you use 2 plates per side and, if so, how do you actually get the second one on? I hate the thought of the extra work of picking up the bar one more time (even if the smaller weights are stripped off) to put it on the rack BUT 2 plates must look pretty damn good!

I signed up for a push-pull competition at my gym -- it's at the end of June. Best good news is I can use straps for DLs and wrist wraps for bench!!! Have been doing overhand with chalk because of inner elbow tendonitis on both sides Now I don't have to worry about changing my grip in the next couple of weeks and basically won't have to think about grip at all. Going to try 240 on Friday, see what happens with straps -- makes the whole lift feel a lot easier IMO so I'm hopeful for a good workout.

Now bench is pitiful. It's been a couple months since I've tried doubles at 95, and 100 would be a huge PR for me. Keep thinking (hoping?) that I just haven't figured out how to push through that hard sticking point in the middle, and that a light will go on in my brain and I'll be able to do it -- sooner rather than later, of course.