gnomewerks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gnomewerks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gnomewerks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gnomewerks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gnomewerks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gnomewerks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gnomewerks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gnomewerks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gnomewerks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gnomewerks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gnomewerks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hybrid Training - Getting better at a lot of things.

I know there are experts and masters in all fields of fitness, exercise and sport.

Bruce Lee had ridiculous speed and functional strength as it pertained to hitting someone.
    Pyrros Dimas is a machine. An explosive god of power and strength.
    Guys that Deadlift, Squat and Bench in the 700 to 1k ranges are just plain strong as hell.
    Then you have Strongman. Sustained strength. Carrying 400 lb stuff for a minute...It's impressive.

I'm looking for more advice/suggestions on a training routine that can help me to achieve better results in a great deal of things. It seems to be this somewhat new "hybrid muscle training stuff". In a sense, the exercises seem heavily geared around the Strongman moves so is that all there is too it? I'm not talking about nutrition, rest, recovery, discipline, etc. Specific moves, routines and programs that you might have used to achieve similar results.

As it is now, here is where I'm at.

5'9" 190lbs
    Bench: I can 10 rep 225 on my best day. Consistently, I'm a 5-6 rep guy at that weight.
    Squat: 300ish max. Comfortable reps at 225.
    Deadlift: 350ish max. 10ish reps at 225.
    Dumbell Military Press: 80-85's for reps.
    Arms I'm not sure.
    I can comfortably run 6-8 miles. No record speeds but I can hold a conversation afterwards and can run it without stopping.
    40yd and sprint times - no clue. I ran high 11's in college at the 100m.
    Vertical leap - Certainly over 30+ inches. I can still hang from a 10ft rim - at 5'9" its not bad. I use 42" Plyo boxes at the gym for my depth jump workouts.
    Kettlebell - turkish getup with about 60lbs. 2h Swing a 26kg for 5mins.
    I take Krav Maga martial arts and have trained in boxing for over 15yrs so I have pretty good speed and have been told I hit like a truck.
    For circuit training, cardio endurance I can do a Tabata as "part of a workout". I can finish any P90x video without dying. I can finish an Insanity video as well (im beat though). I consistently do 50+ minutes of Crossfit types of moves as a daily workout.
    10 pull-ups is my max right now. Full extension.
    I can rep out 50-60 push-ups straight. 100 push-ups in 3.5mins for endurance...
    I currently mess with tire flips, sandbags, kettlebells, suspension trainers, med balls, have a pretty good core and have weightlifted in some fashion for almost 2 decades.

Thats where I stand. I want to improve and be more explosive, stronger and faster. I'm not looking to break world records, compete in the olympics or play anything professionally. I just want to be good at a lot of things and most importantly - be functional.

I'd like to Deadlift 405.
    Bench Press 225 for 20+ reps.
    Dunk a basketball on a 10' rim.
    Be able to complete a half marathon.
    Maybe even run a sub 7 minute mile.
    Squat 405 for reps (at least a few).
    Use 'The Beast' 106lb Kettlebell for a Turkish Getup.
    Have incredible hand speed and punching power of an amateur heavyweight boxer (I have the capability for the technique since I do know boxing a bit).
    Finally - anything functional strength wise is golden. Gymnastic stuff. Do a Plange Push-up to a handstand, do 15 Muscleups.
    Body wise..I'd love to look like a Kane Sumabat.

Am I too ambitious and want too much? What would you use to achieve these goals? Am I spreading myself too thin so to speak?
    Last edited by gnomewerks; 03-28-2010 at 10:20 PM.

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by gnomewerks View Post
    .I'd love to look like a Kane Sumabat.
    timberwolf (kane) posts his journal over with the over 35 crew. check it out. while kane is the man, i know at least for me, looking like him is a pipe dream.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=122453371