supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10) supern0va is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Getting fat while bulking

How normal is this? I've read that you can't avoid getting fat while bulking, but at the same time I see people post pics of them doing a "clean bulk" and their abs are still visible....

I've been bulking for a few months now but it seems like the majority of the weight is going to my stomach. I've noticed some muscles popping out more, but people keep noticing my gut. I'm trying to balance it out with some intense cardio but I don't want to inadvertently affect my muscle gain.

Also, as far as nutrition goes, would avoiding anything with saturated fat be to my advantage? Is this the type of fat that goes straight to your belly?

saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have the same problem brother.

Getting Fat while bulking is fairly realistic. Keeping a close eye on where your %BF is and where you want it to be at the most is key. Same with Lean Body Mass.

Some people can do it by pictures. I can't I must do it by measurement.

Keeping the abs visible? not possible with my genetics.

If you dont like the gut, then maybe it's time to change to a cut perhaps?
    I guess If I can't get good at bodybuilding, my only alternative is to become an adult movie star.

Current Gunpowder Log:

Optimum Nutrition Proxomplex
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein

BTW - Soy may be good, Soy may be bad, I guess I'll never know.

Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by saintsparrow View Post
    I have the same problem brother.

Getting Fat while bulking is fairly realistic. Keeping a close eye on where your %BF is and where you want it to be at the most is key. Same with Lean Body Mass.

Some people can do it by pictures. I can't I must do it by measurement.

Keeping the abs visible? not possible with my genetics.

If you dont like the gut, then maybe it's time to change to a cut perhaps?
    I am looking at starting a bulk soon and fear a fat gain as I seem to get fat just looking at food. I eat extremely clean and plan to continue to eat clean just more food. Would it make sense to do a month maybe two month bulk then a cut and repeat this process? With summer coming soon I dont want to look chubby. I am the skinniest I have been in 5 years losing almost 100 pounds over the last year. i would like to enjoy it this summer skinny but this eating like a bird cant be helping muscle gain.

MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Fat gain when bulking (such as on the lower stomach) is inevitable, but overdoing your calories by too much will lead to higher levels of fat gain, which means it'll take longer to cut back down.

Try to limit majority of carbs to times when blood glucose & glucose uptake by muscle cells is beneficial and will promote either an anabolic or anti-catabolic environment in the muscle (breakfast, pre-workout, post-workout). Insulin spikes will refill your muscle's glycogen stores, but will lead to fat gain if those stores are already full. At other times, fat cells will be more prone to the sugar uptake, and fat will be gained, so shift your meals away from carbs and towards fat.

To minimize fat gain, I'd recommend timing your macros something like this:
    Breakfast (mostly fast digesting) -> Simple + Complex Carbs, Protein (whey)
    Lunch (slow digesting) -> Fats, Protein
    Pre-Workout (fast + slow digesting) -> Simple + Complex Carbs, Fats, Protein (Whey + Casein mix)
    Post-Workout (very fast digesting) -> Simple Carbs ONLY + Protein (mostly Whey)
    Dinner (slow digesting) -> , Minimal complex carbs only, Fats, Protein (mostly Casein)

The diet should ensure that new muscle fiber is never broken down (a catabolic state). How? First, by eating a complete source of protein (all of the essential amino acids) at every meal. Daily protein total should be at least a gram per pound of bodyweight. Second, by ensuring that there is amino acid availability when not eating, especially important during LONG periods of not eating, such as during sleep. Slow digesting casein protein, such as from cottage cheese (80% casein/20% whey), will accomplish this. You know you’re anabolic if you’re pissing nitrogen.

saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) saintsparrow will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

I see 3 options

Cut - Caloric Deficit (Likely to lose muscle)

Maintain - Eat what you burn (Likely to make no change)

Bulk - Caloric Surplus (Likely to add fat)

I'm finishing a bulk right now. Bulk completes 4/11/10. Where ever I am at is where my cut will begin. Last measurement was 15.4% Bodyfat. I know I have added size but if I want to look good for summer I have to start my cut now. I have been in Bulk for 3 months, and the 3 months prior to that, I was in Maintain mode. It's up to you. I have read threads in this forum that suggest 8,3,1.

8 months bulk
    3 months cut
    1 month compete (if you do that)

If you have some to lose, do a cut for 2 months then go into maintenance.
    I guess If I can't get good at bodybuilding, my only alternative is to become an adult movie star.

Current Gunpowder Log:

Optimum Nutrition Proxomplex
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein

BTW - Soy may be good, Soy may be bad, I guess I'll never know.