Thread: Can't do squats

emusoda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can't do squats

For some reason I physically can't do squats. The problem is that I can't get the bar onto my shoulders, my arms don't have the flexiblity to do it. When I put the bar up I can get it to my neck and that's it, someone actually has to come and pull the bar back and down for it to rest on my shoulders. Is there any kind of stretching exercise I can do to fix this problem?

dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    wait...u lift the bar and then put it on ur traps...?

mind = blown.

Lol no I've never actually squated yet, i'm just trying to get the form down first

demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Invest in the Starting Strength book for form as well as finding some good videos online.

Good luck.
    Have you done something today to take yourself to the next level?

Always thinking of making $$ crew

Help Others. Be Humble. Life is Great.

Did you guys even read my post? I need help stretching my arms or something so I can get the bar on my shoulders

dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by emusoda View Post
    Did you guys even read my post? I need help stretching my arms or something so I can get the bar on my shoulders
    we dont really understand wut u mean by that....

U dont use ur arms to get it to ur traps, u position ur traps onto the bar...

Originally Posted by dizzay20 View Post
    we dont really understand wut u mean by that....

U dont use ur arms to get it to ur traps, u position ur traps onto the bar...
    But then you use your hands to hold the bar right? Well this is the part that I can't do, my hands/arms won't go that far back

chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    just try it out and see what happens? I think its a shoulder flexibility issue if anything. Not arms. Put your arms onto the bar and then go under the bar and set it on your back.

anonymous
    Maybe your shoulders/chest are tight. When I want to loosen up my arms I always do this. go to wall/doorway/post and put your hand on it and then essential move your body forward so your arm is getting pulled backwards from your body. I'm bad at explaining but I'll try to make a diagram

|| O--> <top of head and other arm (you should be facing this way ^)
    ||/ <arm being stretched
    ||

Originally Posted by chrisboudreaux View Post
    just try it out and see what happens? I think its a shoulder flexibility issue if anything. Not arms. Put your arms onto the bar and then go under the bar and set it on your back.
    I have tried but when I go to get the bar on my back the furthest I can get the bar to go is to the middle of my neck

tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tobyow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have tried but when I go to get the bar on my back the furthest I can get the bar to go is to the middle of my neck
    I'm confused, are you having problems putting the bar into position while using a squat rack or are you just picking the bar up off the ground and then press it over your head and position it on your back?

SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100)
    Grab a long towel and do shoulder dislocates to loosen them up.

My friend had surgeries on both shoulders and he can still do squats. Man up. You'll be fine.

wow, u must have no flexibility in ur shoulders wutsoever then...

Yarzospatflute has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OP, I had the same problem. There just wasn't much flexibility in my shoulders and arms and, when I'd get under the bar, I couldn't get the bar down farther than my lower neck without it feeling like I was going to twist my arms out of their sockets. There is no magic fix unfortunately.

What I did was stretches at home using a broomstick. Shoulder dislocations helped some. My shoulders were so inflexible, though, that I'd have to hold the very ends of the broomstick between my thumb and forefinger.

What really seemed to help was just holding the broomstick in position on my back. I'd try to get the broomstick lower and at the same time I'd be sliding my hands closer in. (The broomstick wasn't really in my hands so much as supported by the heel of my palm with my wrists straight.) Do this and you'll feel the stretching in your shoulders and chest, too. Get the broomostick as low on your traps as you can and try to slide your hands in so they're at a normal width for squatting. Hold it for 30 seconds or a minute, then repeat a few times. Do this at night as you're watching TV or whatever. Try and get your elbows back, too.

I still can't do a low-bar squat, but I can get the bar resting on my shoulders and middle traps.

Has the pride of lions. lionpride's Avatar
    lionpride is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionpride is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionpride is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionpride is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionpride is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionpride is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionpride is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionpride is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionpride is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionpride is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionpride is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Front squats
    MISC Anti-*******ry Crew

~AMC~

Negs on sight: slimjimmacdim, Codo

BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000)
    no one ever reads your initial post, they skim it looking for inconsistencies to call you out on, even though they are only inconsistencies when taken out of context.

but to answer your stretching question the muscles most likely preventing you from reaching the bar are your upper chest so stretch those and also use a wider grip on the bar which would alleviate a bit of the compression you may be feeling in between your shoulder blades.
    [300 Spartan Crew]

Real World Boxing Advice djartek's Avatar
    djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Here is the remedy and answers to all of your questions: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?p=466957531
    Youtube.com/PalacBoxing
    I'll answer your boxing and combat questions. Just PM me
    "Patience, persistence, determination, and an unstoppable drive to be better than yesterday."

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    are you trying to copy my post's with just a different link???? :

Youtube.com/PalacBoxing
    "Patience, persistence, determination, and an unstoppable drive to be better than yesterday."

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by djartek View Post
    are you trying to copy my post's with just a different link???? :
    The dude in my videos looks leaner than your guy. (no homo)

tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you can't grab the bar that rests across your upper back then more likely you have some upper back, scapular stability and strength issues resulting in that tight chest rounded shoulder thing. Do you have a rounded back or hunched posture? Do you sit at a desk or computer a lot?

If you can't do this wall slide while keeping your butt, upper back and arms touching the wall then you have upper back/postural issues I mentioned above.http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...10/d6V2Exzb324

You need to work on this or you may eventually tear your supraspinatus (one of 4 shoulder rotators).
    Last edited by tonester; 03-28-2010 at 05:10 AM.
    "Adapt and overcome."

"Everything you need is inside you."

Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    The dude in my videos looks leaner than your guy. (no homo)
    yes, but the music suggests he plays on both teams
    My guy is on a bulk damn it!
    Youtube.com/PalacBoxing

allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allan882 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Stretch using a wooden stick to get some shoulder flexibility.

Originally Posted by SL1D3R View Post
    Grab a long towel and do shoulder dislocates to loosen them up.

My friend had surgeries on both shoulders and he can still do squats. Man up. You'll be fine.
    i just tried this after watching some vids on youtube and i cant even do them, i guess my shoulders are screwed up or something

BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000)
    i just tried this after watching some vids on youtube and i cant even do them, i guess my shoulders are screwed up or something
    Excuses, the best stretch for you to do is get in the damn squat rack put your hands wide on the bar then slowly stretch into the proper position if you feel sharp pain or anything abnormal stop and consult a doc

what you need is a hat or glasses like mine, they make you badass
    Last edited by BigD_SEVA; 03-28-2010 at 10:27 AM.
    [300 Spartan Crew]

Yarzospatflute has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    See my post above. I had the same problem as you that's how I fixed it. Just keep doing it.

MetroBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MetroBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MetroBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MetroBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MetroBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MetroBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MetroBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MetroBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MetroBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MetroBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MetroBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Try hack squats.