lowkeyberserk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How much should i be able to row?

hi, i started Rippetoe's recently and I'm following it pretty closely. anyway, I'm trying to figure out what my short and long term goals should be

info:
    male, 24 yrs old, 210 lbs
    current squat is 135 lbs. i want to be able to squat my body weight. after that, maybe 1 1/4 my weight
    my current deadlift is 135 lbs. i want to be able to do 1 1/2 my weight. after that, 1 3/4 my weight
    my current bench press is 140 lbs, i want to bench 160 lbs, and eventually my weight
    my current overhead press is 85 lbs. i would like to get it up to half my weight, and maybe 3/4 of my weight

my current Pendlay Row is 115 lbs.. and i have no idea what would be reasonable immediate and eventual goals here, sorta in line with what im going for in other areas. can anyone help me out?
    Mrs. Lovett: You're barking mad! Killing a man what done ya no harm! :o
    Sweeney Todd: He recognized me from the old days. Tried to blackmail me. Half me earnings. :/
    Mrs. Lovett: Oh, well that's a different matter then. For a moment there I thought you lost your marbles. Ugh! All that blood. Poor bugger. Oh well! ;)

james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i would say, a well trained person would have a bent over row around the same weight as his bench

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by james0566 View Post
    i would say, a well trained person would have a bent over row around the same weight as his bench
    This, if you want good shoulder health, longterm.

Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd say for now worry about the short term goals. Your new to the game and you have to get by that learning curve. Short term goals being workout to workout, week to week. Jot down each training session for the next two to three weeks with your reps and weight. Take a look at it a few times a day and think about smashing those lbs and hitting those reps. This goes for rows, bench, squat, deadlift, military press, etc.

The key isn't to just set goals, its to set realistic goals and the only way to do that is to know what your capable of. At this point in time, your just getting started and you don't know where you'll be and how much you'll be lifting in 1, 2, 3+ months. After a several months and you start taking hold on what you can do, that is when you draw out your goals month to month, and long term goals.

Ideally you want to have your bench and row strength relatively close, but since everyone is mechanically/biologically different, this isn't always the case. Just put in as much effort into one lift as the other.

Starting strength is a good program and will take you much farther then what most people here are doing. For now, focus on mastering form/technique and hitting the weight you set for yourself every week.
    Last edited by Pull14; 03-27-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Nightwolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightwolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightwolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightwolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightwolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightwolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightwolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightwolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightwolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightwolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nightwolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i row 25 lbs more than i bench but i have a stronger back than pecs proportianally , most ppl row what they bench