nyk2423 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nyk2423 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nyk2423 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nyk2423 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cardio during bulk?

I want to be ripped at around 180-185 but I dont have nearly the amount of muscle mass that I need to do that because of my recent rapid weight loss. I am currently 175lb 15-16%BF and I am going to bulk up to about 200-205lb but I want to keep my BF% as low as possible so would it help me or hurt me to do HIIT 3-4x a wk? I also wanted to know if it would be smart to take creatine and switch from IsoPure to MuscleMilk during my bulk cycle?

Thank you in advance

Registered User TurbulentEnergy's Avatar
    TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by nyk2423 View Post
    I want to be ripped at around 180-185 but I dont have nearly the amount of muscle mass that I need to do that because of my recent rapid weight loss. I am currently 175lb 15-16%BF and I am going to bulk up to about 200-205lb but I want to keep my BF% as low as possible so would it help me or hurt me to do HIIT 3-4x a wk? I also wanted to know if it would be smart to take creatine and switch from IsoPure to MuscleMilk during my bulk cycle?

Thank you in advance
    It would be wise to do cardio and weight training together. 90 percent of the time that combination provides great results. The training does not have to be on the same day but doing them in conjunction to one another is really good for the body. I can go deep into detail but that would be more than you would want to read, I can provide it if you want, but trying to help.

With the creatine intake, there is nothing wrong with taking it. There are many different kinds of creatine so eh hard to advice on that but the best kind of creatine to take or obtain is Creatine Ester. Creatine Ester nearly matches the identical molecular structure of the creatine in meats and in your own body. Some take creatine monohydrate which is not very effective. Do some studies on it, and you will see what I mean.

As far as muscle milk and isopure, i dont know man, just get a good 100 pure whey protein powder and thats all you need. The best protein if of course meat itself but whey is the next best thing.

And heres an FYI that is VERY important for you to keep in mind and to watch out for. YOU WILL NOT lose muscle doing cardio, nor will you lose muscle by doing cardio 5 days per week. For muscle to be lost your body must go into a catabolic state in which there is an extremely low level of glycogen and glucose levels to provide for aerobic exercise, and once that is depleted, you will start burning muscle for fuel, but that is after you have exhausted all of your nutrient resources. Your body is an amazing device. Man guys throw the term " catabolic state " around way too much. Hope this helps. Just eat clean and get enough good calories and youll do good man. and red meats contain creatine, just try to stick to leaner cuts of red meats.
    Last edited by TurbulentEnergy; 03-26-2010 at 08:41 PM.
    Eat Clean to Get Lean

Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So you made it to 175 pounds...still somewhat fat...and this is the decision you make. To get fatter.

Ditch the retarded "bulk" idea, please. Building muscle and losing fat are not mutually exclusive. Learn proper nutrition. Do some research.

P.S. It takes YEARS to build the kind of muscle you think you're about to build in a few weeks. The only thing you will accomplish with this "bulk" of yours is getting fatter. Much fatter. I 100% guarantee it.
    Last edited by Cachexic; 03-26-2010 at 08:43 PM.

coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Anyways...... cardio could hamper or help depending on how many calories your intaking. If your cardio wipes out your calories surplus entirely then you will have a harder time gaining muscle. Now if you add cardio and still have a few hundred calorie surplus you are fine and will be in good cardiovascular condition on top of that. You just need to make sure you keep a pretty good track on your calorie count.

nyk2423 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nyk2423 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nyk2423 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nyk2423 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Cachexic View Post
    So you made it to 175 pounds...still somewhat fat...and this is the decision you make. To get fatter.

Ditch the retarded "bulk" idea, please. Building muscle and losing fat are not mutually exclusive. Learn proper nutrition. Do some research.

Thats exactly what I choose to do. I choose to get fatter, did you not read my post? I am trying to bulk up to 200-205 and try to maintain the same BF% or not get past 18%. Then I will do a proper cut to 180-185.

I went from 205 to 175 in very little amount of time, meaning I lost alot of my muscle that I am looking to gain back so I can do a proper cut

Registered User TurbulentEnergy's Avatar
    TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10) TurbulentEnergy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by coolspin27 View Post
    Anyways...... cardio could hamper or help depending on how many calories your intaking. If your cardio wipes out your calories surplus entirely then you will have a harder time gaining muscle. Now if you add cardio and still have a few hundred calorie surplus you are fine and will be in good cardiovascular condition on top of that. You just need to make sure you keep a pretty good track on your calorie count.
    You are right that cardio COULD hamper progress, but chances of that happening are not likely. If he did about 20 minutes of cardio daily he should be fine. Now if he went for an hour or more daily, then yeah his progress of gaining muscle would be very slow. But he would still gain. This is where his protein intake needs to be high and a moderate amount of carbohydrates from foods such as egg pastas, or vegetables rich in iron..
    Eat Clean to Get Lean

P.S. It takes YEARS to build the kind of muscle you think you're about to build in a few weeks. The only thing you will accomplish with this "bulk" of yours is getting fatter. Much fatter. I 100% guarantee it.

When in my post did I say it would take weeks? Brah if you are going to criticize someone, do yourself a favor and do it correctly.

Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cachexic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    EDIT: Forget about it. Get fat.

Originally Posted by nyk2423 View Post
    When in my post did I say it would take weeks? Brah if you are going to criticize someone, do yourself a favor and do it correctly.
    I'm criticizing you because you need to hear it. You're going to gain 30 pounds and almost all of it is going to be fat.

EDIT: Forget about it. Get fat.

Tell me what do you think my bulking diet was going to look like? You think I was planning on eating junk food to get up to 200lb?

naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm criticizing you because you need to hear it. You're going to gain 30 pounds and almost all of it is going to be fat.
    WORD....lol

jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html

This article should answer your questions about cardio while bulking.

Peter1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    All this stuff is overwhelming when you are just starting out... I am just starting out...

So, if I want to still get a sufficient mass increase, while maintaining cardio I have to make sure I don't go into a calorie deficit?

gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000)
    And heres an FYI that is VERY important for you to keep in mind and to watch out for. YOU WILL NOT lose muscle doing cardio, nor will you lose muscle by doing cardio 5 days per week. For muscle to be lost your body must go into a catabolic state in which there is an extremely low level of glycogen and glucose levels to provide for aerobic exercise, and once that is depleted, you will start burning muscle for fuel, but that is after you have exhausted all of your nutrient resources. Your body is an amazing device. Man guys throw the term " catabolic state " around way too much. Hope this helps. Just eat clean and get enough good calories and youll do good man. and red meats contain creatine, just try to stick to leaner cuts of red meats.[/QUOTE]

----DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS GUY, he DOESNT KNOW what hes talking about.

Muscle will ABSOLUTELY be burned even doing cardio even if youre not in a deficit. Your body will burn muscle if oxygen intake is low, thats because oxygen is required to burn fat if its to be turned into energy. And oxygen is the 1 thing you have barely any of during cardio....

If you load up on carbs and do cardio, you wont lose much muscle, but if youre on a "cut" and carb depleted, muscle will absolutely get sacrificed for energy because your body has no choice.

Thats why dieting it off and weight-training is a much better way to build muscle/burn fat simotaneously.

Peter1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well my issue is that I am trying to get stronger and faster... I am training for Officer Candidates School in May. I need to be able to 20+ pull-ups in a single set and I need to be able to run a lot...quickly. My goal is to be able to do 30 pull-ups and a 19 minute 3.2 mile. So I am super conflicted... I've gotta find a balance so I don't injure myself, or work myself backwards.

I'm at 21.28 run and 14 pull-ups right now.