Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Staying lean your whole life then Balloon up at 75 yrs old

I had a thought ( Ya I know sometimes they get me in trouble ).

Example:
    Your 6 foot tall and the weight the majority of your life between 160-170 lbs and you stay between 5-12% bodyfat . When I mean majority I mean between the age of maybe 25-75 yrs old. You have never been above these numbers.
    Now your 75 yrs old and at this point your wrinkly like most people at 75, then BAM you decide to gain 30-50 pounds within 6-8 months. Do you suppose you would look a lot younger than most people your age because you have gained fat that your body and skin where not used to retaining all the years prior, and it fills out your face and body free of wrinkles ?
    I am aware that the older you get the less fat is stored in your face and this often results to more wrinkles, but to gain....
    Again just a thought, so don't bust my butt to much for askin this.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    What?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    Here's something to consider..... how many obese 75+ year olds have you ever seen?

Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by IronCharles View Post
    Here's something to consider..... how many obese 75+ year olds have you ever seen?
    Why do you always seem to make sense?

Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tatfree is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was not aware that being 210-220lbs at 6 foot tall was considered Obese .

But ha your right not a lot of 75 yr olds are obese, they usually don't make it that far in life with that lifestyle.

My mother in law will be 73 this year however and stands 5 ft and weighs around 220. I cannot believe she is not diabetic. If we go to the mall with her we have to drive the car around the other side of the mall to pick her up when she shops. Can't believe she gives my Wife crap for eating clean. Misery loves company I guess .
    Last edited by Tatfree; 03-27-2010 at 08:24 AM.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I am no expert by any means but wouldn't getting heavy at an older age be counterproductive since your organs will need to work harder with the added fat?
    On the list for Bannukah

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by IronCharles View Post
    My dad was about 210 at 89, he was way too heavy but I never thought of him as obese. He was 5'8" most of his life but by the time he died he was probably only 5'6" or so.

Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    I am no expert by any means but wouldn't getting heavy at an older age be counterproductive since your organs will need to work harder with the added fat?
    Not just for old folks.
    Was friends with Methuselah

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Old-Time-Lifter View Post
    Not just for old folks.
    Understood, but a younger heart can handle working harder than an older heart. So if you are light all your life (low BF) why would you want to take a risk, by getting fat at an older age just for the sake of looking younger?
    On the list for Bannukah

Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    Probably wouldn't be healthy I agree, but asking about LOOKING young with this experament.

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    in this thread the OP has plenty of spare time

I honestly doubt anyone who has spent 75 years being fit and trim could just up and gain 50 pounds just because they wanted to.

Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I see plenty, in fact too many obese seniors 75+, every single day. I live in lthe world's biggest retirement community, The Villages, with around 80,000 others. It's all very upscale and with 800 clubs, over a 100 softball teams, 58 championship and executive 9 hole golf courses and every single sport imaginable, we still are overrun with obesity. Granted the boomers are clearly more health concious than the older residents, in general. Still the joke is "The Villages, where the women can't get pregnant and the men all look like they are!". When I moved here from south of Amsterdam back in 2000 I was 59 years old and weighed only 149 lbs, (long story, divorce, company bought out by Tyco, and got laid off etc). Depressed I went from lifting for fun to once again lifting for strength. I got my advice and support from the oldtimers who used to be on this forum. I built up to where I stay around 216 but I could/should be a good 15 lbs lighter. With the right training, supplements (tons of Fish Oil, Vitamin D3, RYR and CoQH etc) my heart is very healthy and all my test results done last month came back great except my test levels (below 200 again). My VA Doc says getting the levels back up with TRT will help my metabolism and aid in losing fat. She and I agree there is a balance needed to what I do but that being big, strong and healthy is a good thing and there is no need for me to go back to being a scarecrow.
    Dutch

For four generations my family has answered the call and served as needed from Europe to Asia to 9/11. We will gladly stand and fight again to preserve our freedom from tyranny.

Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by chodan9 View Post
    in this thread the OP has plenty of spare time

I honestly doubt anyone who has spent 75 years being fit and trim could just up and gain 50 pounds just because they wanted to.
    I spent my whole life as a distance runner, biker and weightlifter. I also gained 60+ lbs in about 4 years. It can be done sensibly.
    Dutch

For four generations my family has answered the call and served as needed from Europe to Asia to 9/11. We will gladly stand and fight again to preserve our freedom from tyranny.

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    I spent my whole life as a distance runner, biker and weightlifter. I also gained 60 lbs in about 4 years. It can be done sensibly.
    in 4 years

not 6-8 months as the OP mentioned, plus I don't think he is thinking of doing it sensibly.

Originally Posted by chodan9 View Post
    in 4 years

not 6-8 months as the OP mentioned, plus I don't think he is thinking of doing it sensibly.
    Agreed. My point to him is that age does not prohibit our making such gains. We just have to do them sensibly and 6-8 months is not sensible JMHO.
    Dutch

1autreQ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1autreQ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1autreQ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1autreQ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1autreQ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1autreQ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1autreQ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1autreQ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1autreQ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1autreQ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1autreQ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm almost 60 years old, I've been training for 39 of them ... I believe a person doing such a foolish thing would have gone mad ... we all know by now that you are what you shove in ... gaining weight like that just for gaining it would be suicidal to my opinion ... I read some of the above comments and what some say is definitely correct ... I plan to keep pushing weights for many years to come ... I feel great, look not so bad for a 59 + yr old and love it ... Regards ~ M. Photo : a few days ago.

db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) db_ggmm is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Couple of things.

Firstly, holding a bit more fat (a bit more) does assist with looking younger beyond a certain age, depending on the person, as it can smooth out wrinkles.

Secondly, also beyond a certain age, subcutaneous fat (within reason) has been shown to improve longevity. If you think about the geriatric patient, many things can momentarily interrupt steady nutrition and induced fasts are not uncommon. Some fat reserve allows those individuals to better weather those conditions. Also, some cushioning for falls, etc, which have their negative effects mitigated by fat and strength.
    01/07/06 - Quit Drinking. 03/15/08 - Quit Smoking.
    06/01/09 - At 118lbs, started lifting, intarweb fasting, and crab backtraced cycling.

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Geriatric trainee here waiting for an answer about the 75 yo fatguy.

Consistency. Intensity. Medtreker's Avatar
    Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    What?
    Too, Me, Also, As Well.

Favorite part is when people talk of 5% bodyfat. I think 99.9999% of people still have more than that on their body 10 years after their Death! F**K!
    Tony

"Punch It Bishop"

jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Gaining weight at 75?

Everytime I gain some unwanted weight (5-6lbs)...most goes to the waste and some to the face.
    My guess is that the 75 year old may look less gaunt in the face but I doubt he would look younger.
    Man...why do it...embrace the life cycle and keep trim.....
    Check back with me in three years if I an still around?

Jim B

Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kingthumper is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Not to derail this excellent topic or anything....but I would just like to say that Dutchman, 1autreQ, ljimd, ironwill, and jba1 are looking phenomenal. Each of you have better physiques then just about everyone I personally know at my age. Absolutely awesome!!!!