ceebee63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Appearance of weight gain / swollen muscles after intense backpacking?

Hi all -

Overall I'm pretty happy with my body shape/type and the look of my curves from lifting. However, after returning Friday from 3 days of backpacking (10-13 miles / day, 30-35 pound pack - ), my quads and calves (and knees, too, actually) appear swollen and larger. I'm not sure if this is the 'juiced' look that men talk about after lifting, but it has lasted since Friday. I fit in all my pants and shorts as normal and haven't gained or lost any weight on the scale (though haven't really been checking much as I typically go by fit/feel), but when I look at my legs it almost looks like I've gained body fat or gone up a pants size, without muscle definition (i.e. it's a swollen look not a tight or muscular look). My quads and calves are also quite sore and tight, still, which I think is DOMS.

If I was doing intense exercise for 10+ hours a day (straight up hill, straight down, few breaks, intense speed), eating about 2,000 calories a day mostly of protein and complex carbs (protein bars, peanut butter/whole wheat sandwiches, nuts/seeds), is it even possible that I've gained fat? Or do my legs just look 'chubby' because of muscle tearing?

I unfortunately do have a history of disordered eating/thought patterns, and seeing my 'chubby' thighs is driving me a bit nuts right now! Any advice is welcome.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It is swelling. I usually retain water/look puffy for a few days after a big hike, especially when carrying a pack. Then, whoosh.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    It is swelling. I usually retain water/look puffy for a few days after a big hike, especially when carrying a pack. Then, whoosh.
    I hope it is! Thanks so much. Anything in particular I should be tweaking in my diet (right now I'm not eating a very restricted diet -- it's about 80% clean / 20% things like 'normal' food - a bowl of cheerios, a bagel, half a dessert, etc)? The fear that the swelling is something more than water weight is making me feel like I need to go into full-on cardio/clean eating mode!

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ceebee63 View Post
    I hope it is! Thanks so much. Anything in particular I should be tweaking in my diet (right now I'm not eating a very restricted diet -- it's about 80% clean / 20% things like 'normal' food - a bowl of cheerios, a bagel, half a dessert, etc)? The fear that the swelling is something more than water weight is making me feel like I need to go into full-on cardio/clean eating mode!
    LOL. Have you not been backpacking long? Any time you are forcing your body to do an endurance exercise, there is a lot going on with glycogen and water storage, electrolyte imbalances, inflammatory response, etc. All of this contributes to water retention.

Don't restrict calories and definitely don't restrict carbs on those endurance days. You should be eating an ass-ton of carbs. On a 10 mile backpacking trip wearing a 35 lb pack with a lot of elevation, I'd probably burn upwards of 4000 calories in a day total. 2000 calories per day I can't see that as being adequate.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    LOL. Have you not been backpacking long? Any time you are forcing your body to do an endurance exercise, there is a lot going on with glycogen and water storage, electrolyte imbalances, inflammatory response, etc. All of this contributes to water retention.

Don't restrict calories and definitely don't restrict carbs on those endurance days. You should be eating an ass-ton of carbs. On a 10 mile backpacking trip wearing a 35 lb pack with a lot of elevation, I'd probably burn upwards of 4000 calories in a day total. 2000 calories per day I can't see that as being adequate.
    Thank you SO much! No, I haven't backpacked at all in the past 5-6 years... (Other than two 3-week trips in high school.)