Stinabell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shallow Squats: Gym Sacrilege?

Hi-

This is my first day here and I must say I feel like a skinny girl in the room full of huge dudes. (Please don't set me on fire for posting this in the wrong section.) Two years ago I started lifting and found I couldn't go very low with the squat bar without throwing out my back. (I've got some spinal bulges, old injuries, etc..) Even with a weight belt and really tightening my abs I feel my back disintigrate after I get past a certain point.

That said, I have really been trying hard to get stronger. I've been doing this modified "shallow" squat thing for a while and have seen a pretty big improvement in my quad strength and my legs are pretty defined. I do alot of lunges as well.

I was pretty excited that I finally got up to a 300 pd squat (yes, I'm a lanky person) but then I watched a video on proper squatting form and I realize I am not even close to getting my chest anywhere near my knees. I'm 6 feet tall and that's a long way down-especially with my tweeky back.

Are shallow squats worthless? Should I just do lunges instead?

Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Stinabell View Post
    Not 'worthless', better than nothing. No, you shouldn't do lunges instead... possibly in addition to..

Lower the weight until you can squat to proper depth, work on your form and don't move up in weight until you are sure your form is solid.
    Starting Strength... Again! - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172893

6 Month Beginner Starting Strength Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118409981

keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Ironwake View Post
    Not 'worthless', better than nothing. No, you shouldn't do lunges instead... possibly in addition to..

Lower the weight until you can squat to proper depth, work on your form and don't move up in weight until you are sure your form is solid.
    ^^This^^

Have you tried front squats?

IMO it's easier to get your depth with front squats. Plus you'll have to use a lighter weight which is safer whilst your still getting your form right.

im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Stinabell View Post
    Hi-

This is my first day here and I must say I feel like a skinny girl in the room full of huge dudes. (Please don't set me on fire for posting this in the wrong section.) Two years ago I started lifting and found I couldn't go very low with the squat bar without throwing out my back. (I've got some spinal bulges, old injuries, etc..) Even with a weight belt and really tightening my abs I feel my back disintigrate after I get past a certain point.

That said, I have really been trying hard to get stronger. I've been doing this modified "shallow" squat thing for a while and have seen a pretty big improvement in my quad strength and my legs are pretty defined. I do alot of lunges as well.

I was pretty excited that I finally got up to a 300 pd squat (yes, I'm a lanky person) but then I watched a video on proper squatting form and I realize I am not even close to getting my chest anywhere near my knees. I'm 6 feet tall and that's a long way down-especially with my tweeky back.

I think you are better off using low weight and going low. Strengthen your abs and core and make sure you are sitting back and not turning the squat into a glorified good morning