Molly071367 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Running and muscle mass

I am training to run the Chicago Marathon this fall; 26.2 miles. Will weight lifting slow me down and make me stiff? I don't know many runners who lift at the same time but I want to incorporate it back into my training...I feel that it will make me stronger and less prone to injury. My miles are around 6 a day and one long 10-12 run a week right now.

10000FT High All The Time solidhadriel's Avatar
    solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    From personal experience, I know that as I've gained muscle mass, my running speed has slowed down significantly.

If you plan on lifting weights, go for toning definition (15+ reps with weight) and not for strength training (3-6 heavy reps). If you do this, you shouldn't necessarily bulk up and your muscles will maintain their size while strengthening their fibers.

hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by solidhadriel View Post
    From personal experience, I know that as I've gained muscle mass, my running speed has slowed down significantly.

If you plan on lifting weights, go for toning definition (15+ reps with weight) and not for strength training (3-6 heavy reps). If you do this, you shouldn't necessarily bulk up and your muscles will maintain their size while strengthening their fibers.
    I think what you meant is training for endurance which is what high reps will do for the body. I agree though.

10000FT High All The Time solidhadriel's Avatar
    solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50) solidhadriel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Pardon my choice of words... It's Monday. & I'm running on hours of sleep and I've been running around all day.

hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by solidhadriel View Post
    Pardon my choice of words... It's Monday. & I'm running on hours of sleep and I've been running around all day.
    Np, I know that feeling

TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I sometimes run medium track, 7-10 km, and I lift a lot, and noticed only benefits.

I don't think what solidhadriel said is wrong - far from it - increase in MASS will make you run slower and running will take more effort, no matter what that mass is. Whether you put on 20 lbs of muscle or a 20 lbs of a backpack WILL be different - you'll be faster with 20 lbs of muscle, but you should aim for no or low increase in mass while doing your weight training routines. Higher reps will do a lot of good, but I wouldn't shy away from 8-12 range either, as some extra muscle mass might boost your running abilities.

Solidhadriel is a guy, so for him, everything he says is bang-on. We're girls, we can expect 2-6 lbs of mucle mass per year, so... I don't think you should be afraid of weights. I'd do squats heavier, I noticed that helps me a lot with running, however I usually do XC stuff with lots of ups and downs where power does count.

One thing you have to mind, is training timing. Having your muscles exhausted by weights a day or hours ago won't do much for your running training.

Current stats:
    67 kg / 167 cm / 25-27 %bf / 28 yo
    max lifts:
    bb bench press: 7 x 55kg
    lat pulldown: 5 x 60 kg
    squat: 8 x 60 kg

Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ok, I've been a long distance runner + triathlete for years. I trained with the National Squad for a bit, and we never done heavy weight training. It was primarily lighter weights in the 12 - 15 range, 1-2 times per week. We also done a lot of core work and functional training eg planks, med ball work etc.

In the last few months, I have decided I want to build muscle and so have pulled out of endurance sport and now focus on lifting heavy and cardio is mostly HIIT. In this short space of time I have seen very shocking results in terms of my running performance. My distance running has definitely suffered. I used to be able to run 'forever'! However my short distance sprints, hill sprints etc are much faster and more powerful!

So I have experienced that lifting can and will be detrimental to your marathon running if you lift heavy and frequently. I would suggest lifting in the 12-15 rep range max 2 times per week. However, it may be worth looking into a strength training for distance running programme, which includes functional exercises aimed specifically for running. I have something kicking around somewhere, so I'll try and find it if your interested and I could post it?
    "Procrastination is the thief of time"
    -Anon

"The best activities for your health are pumping and humping."
    -Arnold

"I do now what others won't - so I can have later what others can't."
    -Anon.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Very difficult to have the best of both worlds. If you're going to hit the gym then focus on more endurance type training, plyometric work and exercises that mimic the runners stride.

Don't spend a lot of time in the gym. The most important part of training for a marathon is your running.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bonny_Lassie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just thought I'd post these 2 links anyway, as they may be of interest to anyone else who is intending on running marathon, half-marathon, 10k or 5k races.

This first link is a great website which is used by many universities, sports coaching courses etc.
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/scni7a8.htm

This second link is to another marathon running site, which basically concludes that weight training isn't essential for running training, but highlights it's benefits, and gives a sample routine, which reiterates what I said about rep ranges, frequency etc
    http://www.marathonrookie.com/marath...-training.html

Hope this is of some help!
    "Procrastination is the thief of time"
    -Anon

"The best activities for your health are pumping and humping."
    -Arnold

"I do now what others won't - so I can have later what others can't."
    -Anon.