Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Abezobchuk is on a distinguished road. (+10)

[Bent Over Rows] Under or Overhand grip?

Hey guys. So I've been doing around 175 for bent over rows with strict form, but im curious what benefits do over and underhand grip provide? What really hits the lats good? Thanks guys.

chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I usually do both grips. Underhand should use your biceps more than overhand. They will both still work your lats though.

_Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Jordo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I compare it to chins vs pullups.
    An over grip weakens the biceps position, an under grip strengthens the biceps position. Weaker bicep equals more work on the lats. Atleast thats how it feels for me

Adjusting is a name known to all. (+5000) Adjusting is a name known to all. (+5000) Adjusting is a name known to all. (+5000) Adjusting is a name known to all. (+5000) Adjusting is a name known to all. (+5000) Adjusting is a name known to all. (+5000) Adjusting is a name known to all. (+5000) Adjusting is a name known to all. (+5000) Adjusting is a name known to all. (+5000) Adjusting is a name known to all. (+5000) Adjusting is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Abezobchuk View Post
    Hey guys. So I've been doing around 175 for bent over rows with strict form, but im curious what benefits do over and underhand grip provide? What really hits the lats good? Thanks guys.
    Underhand helps you emphasize your lats as opposed to your upper back. Plus it helps you lift heavier loads through a greater range of motion which IMO helps with growth.

DSMdude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSMdude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSMdude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSMdude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSMdude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSMdude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSMdude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSMdude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSMdude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSMdude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DSMdude is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I use an underhand grip.
    I rep back every time, 60% of the time.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Abezobchuk View Post
    As far as I can see, they achieve two things:

1. Force you to tuck the elbows which puts the lats in a stronger position (however you can achieve the same thing with tucked elbows using an overhand grip).
    2. Put the biceps in a stronger position.

I prefer to force my back to work harder than my biceps and an overhand grip also gives me the option of rowing with a wider grip (elbows flared) to put the lats in a weaker position and forces the lower-mid traps, rhomboids, etc. to move more of the weight.

What makes a real difference is the angle you row the weight and what's happening from the elbows up -- not your grip.

Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post
    As far as I can see, they achieve two things:

1. Force you to tuck the elbows which puts the lats in a stronger position (however you can achieve the same thing with tucked elbows using an overhand grip).
    2. Put the biceps in a stronger position.

I prefer to force my back to work harder than my biceps and an overhand grip also gives me the option of rowing with a wider grip (elbows flared) to put the lats in a weaker position and forces the lower-mid traps, rhomboids, etc. to move more of the weight.

What makes a real difference is the angle you row the weight and what's happening from the elbows up -- not your grip.
    Now that I think about it, which grip should be used when doing bent-over rows in the Madcow's Intermediate routine?

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I prefer rowing "overhand" with a thumbless grip. Seems to help place focus on the area of the back I'm targeting and not the arms.

Don't see a great deal of advantage using underhand gripping. Seems it would encourage use of the biceps more imo.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SquatTilYouDrop View Post
    I prefer rowing "overhand" with a thumbless grip. Seems to help place focus on the area of the back I'm targeting and not the arms.

Don't see a great deal of advantage using underhand gripping. Seems it would encourage use of the biceps more imo.
    I also row with a thumbless grip too, helps me to feel it in the back by just thinking as my hands as hooks and just pulling with my elbows.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

S_Tuler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Underhands are safer and generally allow the bends in your elbow to pull the bar towards your stomach. With an overhand grip its much more dangerous to have proper form. Meaning its harder to pull the bar toward your stomach with an overhand grip

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Nivel View Post
    Now that I think about it, which grip should be used when doing bent-over rows in the Madcow's Intermediate routine?
    From memory the program called for Pendlay Rows which are performed from a dead stop, explosively, torso parallel to the floor, with a double overhand grip rowing to the upper abs.

Originally Posted by S_Tuler View Post
    Underhands are safer and generally allow the bends in your elbow to pull the bar towards your stomach. With an overhand grip its much more dangerous to have proper form. Meaning its harder to pull the bar toward your stomach with an overhand grip
    This is patently false. If anything an underhand grip would increase the risk of a biceps tear rowing heavy weight.

Fatassing it to 200. lastlieutenant's Avatar
    lastlieutenant will become famous soon enough. (+50) lastlieutenant will become famous soon enough. (+50) lastlieutenant will become famous soon enough. (+50) lastlieutenant will become famous soon enough. (+50) lastlieutenant will become famous soon enough. (+50) lastlieutenant will become famous soon enough. (+50) lastlieutenant will become famous soon enough. (+50) lastlieutenant will become famous soon enough. (+50) lastlieutenant will become famous soon enough. (+50) lastlieutenant will become famous soon enough. (+50) lastlieutenant will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Adjusting View Post
    Underhand helps you emphasize your lats as opposed to your upper back. Plus it helps you lift heavier loads through a greater range of motion which IMO helps with growth.
    I agree.
    Lift Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard.

MuscleBeats.com - Music. Motivation.

Getting stronger every day.

DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I prefer an overhand grip not so much for any particular strength benefits but because I try to hit my rohmboids and traps as well as my lats when I'm rowing; it doesn't feel right when I'm using an underhand grip.

Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nivel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post
    From memory the program called for Pendlay Rows which are performed from a dead stop, explosively, torso parallel to the floor, with a double overhand grip rowing to the upper abs.
    Thanks for the info! I looked them up and I think I'm gonna give it a try next time I go to the gym. From what I read Pendlay Rows are supposed to work lats and middle back more than standard bent-over rows. Repped.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by S_Tuler View Post
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

JohnnyNOgames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyNOgames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyNOgames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyNOgames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyNOgames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyNOgames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyNOgames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyNOgames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyNOgames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyNOgames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyNOgames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    overhand more lats under more rhomboids. regardless rows is a gr8 compound exercise for back nd targets a lot of it along with parts of ur shoulder nd bicep

RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100) RevSpunkwater is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Adjusting View Post
    This.