Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Uncomfortable Treadmill walking compared to another?

Hello guys

I have a question i just bought a paradigmn walk to fit electric treadmill i just used it today and it hurts my back, before i was using an old proform crosswalk lm which was big and bulky but it had only a 250 lb weight capacity and im way over that but it was more comforatble than the new one i just bought, it also was futher from the ground than my new one it seemed to absorb more shock.

With the new one its very close to the carpet floor and its not comfortable at all i really think i need to put something under it like a big thick peice of ply wood or something is this a common problem or is it just in my head? if it is a problem what should do to make it more comfortable.

Thanks
    Last edited by Brandon85c; 03-08-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: oops
    Trying to make it!!!!

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm guessing the old one had more give to it...

Maybe put down a layer or two of carpet padding and then put a 3/4" piece of plywood over that?
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brandon85c will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    I'm guessing the old one had more give to it...

Maybe put down a layer or two of carpet padding and then put a 3/4" piece of plywood over that?

i dont know i added another peice of carpet under it so i will see how that goes
    Trying to make it!!!!

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Brandon85c View Post
    i dont know i added another peice of carpet under it so i will see how that goes
    That might work.

Or it might be that over time - perhaps just a short time - the treadmill's feet will sink too far into the carpet to provide much shock absorption. I think the plywood idea is a good one, but you need a compressible layer under that to help absorb shock.

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    That might work.

Or it might be that over time - perhaps just a short time - the treadmill's feet will sink too far into the carpet to provide much shock absorption. I think the plywood idea is a good one, but you need a compressible layer under that to help absorb shock.
    when you say compressible layer do you mean something soft
    Trying to make it!!!!

Originally Posted by Brandon85c View Post
    when you say compressible layer do you mean something soft
    Probably not. Something too soft (and too compressible) will likely compress entirely (well, mostly) with just the weight of the plywood and treadmill on top.

I think a layer or two of carpet or maybe carpet padding underneath the plywood might work. Ideally, it'd be something firm enough to not compress much with the plywood, the treadmill, and your weight on top. Yet, when you take a step, it'd compress enough to give you some shock absorption, but also decompress again when you lift your foot. It'll be difficult to figure out the ideal material to do this - some experimentation will be necessary.

Two readily available materials that come to mind are carpet and carpet padding. The rubber (horse) stall mats that some of us use for gym flooring might work too, but I have a hunch that they're too dense.

You might also try approaching it from the other direction - perhaps you can find some footwear that'll provide an adequate amount of shock absorption. If you find something that works, be prepared to replace your shoes with some regularity. I used to run 70 to 100 miles per week and replaced my shoes every three to four months.