maverick9999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

In need of motivation and advice - help!

First post - hello everyone! I need motivation and help with my routine. My current goal is to have low body fat (enough to see abs), as well as a lean, muscular physique (think male model - I just want to look good!). I don't need to be huge, and strength is of secondary importance to me. Skip to the bottom if you just want to see my questions.

Lifting history:
    -Lifted when I was younger until a hockey injury (shoulder) sidelined me for a few years while I received physio
    -Started up again in Mid November to March 1st on STARTING STRENGTH
    -Lifts increased as follows (ESTIMATES):

130 -> 180 Bench Press
    145 -> 205 Squat
    145 -> 245 Deadlift
    70 -> 130 Military Press
    115 -> 145 Pendlay Rows

-Bodyweight increase from 160 -> 180lbs
    -PRIMER: I have been eating TONS - 1 meal every 2-3 hours (5-6 meals a day). For the past month and a half, I have cut out sweets (no refined sugars - chocolate, juices, pop, etc.)

WEAK SPOTS: very weak shoulders (bony, with NO trap development), lower back, and right ankle (this doesn't worry me as much)

BODY TYPE: no idea! Ectomorph above the chest, mesomorph in the legs.

Now, I wanted to switch things up starting March 1st, because:
    -I stalled on Bench press at 180, reset once, then hit 180 again and stalled again! (stalled twice at same weight)
    -I stalled at 205 on squats, decided it was time for a new program

This is the program I am currently doing (PUSH/PULL 4 DAY SPLIT):
    **(I HAD TO DECREASE WEIGHT ON ALL LIFTS BECAUSE OF ADDITIONAL REPS)**

PULL Mon/Thurs
    3x8 Deadlift
    2x8 Pendlay Row (I find these hard to do after deads because my lowerback is tired so I only do 2 sets)
    2x8 Machine Cable Row
    3x5 Pullups (currently trying to increase number of reps)
    2x8 Shrugs
    10 minutes cardio (concept 2 rowing machine)

PUSH Tues/Fri
    3x8 Squats
    3x8 Bench Press
    2x8 Dips or other tricep isolation exercise
    3x8 Incline Press
    3x8 Side Raise
    10 minutes cardio (jogging on treadmill)

-All the above exercises are done 1-2 reps short of failure (high intensity)
    -There is a timed 90 second rest interval between sets

Now, with this new program, which I have only been doing for 2 weeks, I have been able to increase my lifts weekly - even if only by a few pounds or by a few additional reps. What bothers me though is I'm not seeing the gains I thought I would have by the 5 month period. My motivation is really not very high at the moment. I mean, I've seen good gains in my legs - my quads are much bigger now. But my whole upper body doesn't look like it's changed at all - despite my constantly making progress. Before anyone says anything, please bear in mind I AM EATING LOTS AND GETTING ENOUGH REST.

All the research I've done shows that splits that involve working 1 bodypart per day are not the most effective at building muscle. However, virtually EVERYONE that I have seen on these boards with a great physique are concentrating on only 1-2 bodyparts a day.

Should I try 1-2 bodyparts a day training? Anyone reading this that does that, do you find you are sore in that area for the rest of the week (I definitely don't want to feel incapacitated in a certain area for an entire week)? Also, I find that Squats (Mon/Thurs) and Deadlifts (Tues/Fri) are not giving my lower back enough time to recover. These are two major lifts that I feel give me huge benefits and don't want to cut either out. How can I organize my lifting schedule so that I can keep progressing on these lifts? Also, what is the best way to progress on a 4-day a week push/pull schedule - just increase the weight a little each week when you feel comfortable? (I was thinking of keeping the weights the same until I can get to 12 reps, then the next workout add a little weight and go for 8 reps then repeat. Not sure if that is optimal!)

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You shouldn't be stuck yet.

How many calories a day and how much weight gain during the time you stalled, reset, then stalled out again at the same weight?

Nobody should be moving to a more complex program when SS only go them to a 205lb squat. Not healthy adult males, anyway

Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    You shouldn't be stuck yet.

How many calories a day and how much weight gain during the time you stalled, reset, then stalled out again at the same weight?

Nobody should be moving to a more complex program when SS only go them to a 205lb squat. Not healthy adult males, anyway
    I went from approx. 160 - > 180 lbs bodyweight. I don't know how many calories a day I eat but it's a lot. Also, I didn't really enjoy the fact that I couldn't be active (cardio/sports) with the SS program out of fear of overtaxing my legs (due to it's 3x a week plan). I see lots of people doing 4 day a week programs that never did SS and they're amazingly ripped. I understand the role SS plays in developing base strength but do I have to continue for more than 4 months on it?

Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by maverick9999 View Post
    I went from approx. 160 - > 180 lbs bodyweight. I don't know how many calories a day I eat but it's a lot. Also, I didn't really enjoy the fact that I couldn't be active (cardio/sports) with the SS program out of fear of overtaxing my legs (due to it's 3x a week plan). I see lots of people doing 4 day a week programs that never did SS and they're amazingly ripped. I understand the role SS plays in developing base strength but do I have to continue for more than 4 months on it?

I didn't ask total bodyweight gain.

During the specific time period I mentioned what was your weight gain?

I didn't ask total bodyweight gain.

During the specific time period I mentioned what was your weight gain?
    Sorry, I misunderstood your question. To be honest, I'm not sure what my gain was in that period. All I know is I started at about 160 and am currently 180-185lbs. Like you, I have a weak lower back, which may hamper my squatting abilities. I should mention though, I did everything with proper form (to parallel).

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. To be honest, I'm not sure what my gain was in that period. All I know is I started at about 160 and am currently 180-185lbs. Like you, I have a weak lower back, which may hamper my squatting abilities. I should mention though, I did everything with proper form (to parallel).
    My lower back isn't weak, per say, it is just screwed up. I deadlifted 330x5 raw when I ran SS a couple years ago.

Are you keeping a journal?

I'll bet you just weren't eating enough when you stalled. Or resting enough

My lower back isn't weak, per say, it is just screwed up. I deadlifted 330x5 raw when I ran SS a couple years ago.

What's your opinion on focusing on one bodypart per day? It seems to provide lots of people with great results.

Registered User Delaware2Philly's Avatar
    Delaware2Philly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Delaware2Philly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Delaware2Philly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Delaware2Philly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Delaware2Philly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Delaware2Philly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Delaware2Philly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Delaware2Philly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Delaware2Philly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Delaware2Philly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Delaware2Philly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First post - hello everyone! I need motivation and help with my routine. My current goal is to have low body fat (enough to see abs), as well as a lean, muscular physique (think male model - I just want to look good!). I don't need to be huge, and strength is of secondary importance to me. Skip to the bottom if you just want to see my questions.

Lifting history:
    -Lifted when I was younger until a hockey injury (shoulder) sidelined me for a few years while I received physio
    -Started up again in Mid November to March 1st on STARTING STRENGTH
    -Lifts increased as follows (ESTIMATES):

130 -> 180 Bench Press
    145 -> 205 Squat
    145 -> 245 Deadlift
    70 -> 130 Military Press
    115 -> 145 Pendlay Rows

-Bodyweight increase from 160 -> 180lbs
    -PRIMER: I have been eating TONS - 1 meal every 2-3 hours (5-6 meals a day). For the past month and a half, I have cut out sweets (no refined sugars - chocolate, juices, pop, etc.)

WEAK SPOTS: very weak shoulders (bony, with NO trap development), lower back, and right ankle (this doesn't worry me as much)

BODY TYPE: no idea! Ectomorph above the chest, mesomorph in the legs.

Now, I wanted to switch things up starting March 1st, because:
    -I stalled on Bench press at 180, reset once, then hit 180 again and stalled again! (stalled twice at same weight)
    -I stalled at 205 on squats, decided it was time for a new program

This is the program I am currently doing (PUSH/PULL 4 DAY SPLIT):
    **(I HAD TO DECREASE WEIGHT ON ALL LIFTS BECAUSE OF ADDITIONAL REPS)**

PULL Mon/Thurs
    3x8 Deadlift
    2x8 Pendlay Row (I find these hard to do after deads because my lowerback is tired so I only do 2 sets)
    2x8 Machine Cable Row
    3x5 Pullups (currently trying to increase number of reps)
    2x8 Shrugs
    10 minutes cardio (concept 2 rowing machine)

PUSH Tues/Fri
    3x8 Squats
    3x8 Bench Press
    2x8 Dips or other tricep isolation exercise
    3x8 Incline Press
    3x8 Side Raise
    10 minutes cardio (jogging on treadmill)

-All the above exercises are done 1-2 reps short of failure (high intensity)
    -There is a timed 90 second rest interval between sets

Now, with this new program, which I have only been doing for 2 weeks, I have been able to increase my lifts weekly - even if only by a few pounds or by a few additional reps. What bothers me though is I'm not seeing the gains I thought I would have by the 5 month period. My motivation is really not very high at the moment. I mean, I've seen good gains in my legs - my quads are much bigger now. But my whole upper body doesn't look like it's changed at all - despite my constantly making progress. Before anyone says anything, please bear in mind I AM EATING LOTS AND GETTING ENOUGH REST.

All the research I've done shows that splits that involve working 1 bodypart per day are not the most effective at building muscle. However, virtually EVERYONE that I have seen on these boards with a great physique are concentrating on only 1-2 bodyparts a day.

Should I try 1-2 bodyparts a day training? Anyone reading this that does that, do you find you are sore in that area for the rest of the week (I definitely don't want to feel incapacitated in a certain area for an entire week)? Also, I find that Squats (Mon/Thurs) and Deadlifts (Tues/Fri) are not giving my lower back enough time to recover. These are two major lifts that I feel give me huge benefits and don't want to cut either out. How can I organize my lifting schedule so that I can keep progressing on these lifts? Also, what is the best way to progress on a 4-day a week push/pull schedule - just increase the weight a little each week when you feel comfortable? (I was thinking of keeping the weights the same until I can get to 12 reps, then the next workout add a little weight and go for 8 reps then repeat. Not sure if that is optimal!)

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
    I'm planning on switching my routine next week but my routine I'm on now has given me some pretty good results.

Monday - Chest
    Tuesday - Back
    Wed - Legs
    Thurs - Shoulders
    Fri - Arms
    Weekend - OFF

Have you tried supplements?

I use...
    100% whey, Jack3d, Kre-Alklyn, Vitamin, Fish Oil

What's your opinion on focusing on one bodypart per day? It seems to provide lots of people with great results.
    My opinion is that a novice is not best served by hitting a body part only once per week

anyone else?

bump