sthompson009 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

When and how to measure body fat

So, I know the little hand held body fat monitors are anything but accurate, but I have one to use for progress. I know that everyone always says it is best to measure your weight in the morning before eating or drinking anything, but what about body fat percentage? Since it roughly works by measuring how fast the electrical signals travel through your body wouldn't being slightly dehydrated from 8ish hours of no water cause a higher number than if you measured after lunch or right before bed or something? Just wondering when the best time to do it would be. Obviously, for consistency, I would always do it at the same time of day every time I measure.

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I tried it all, and I recently discovered a free and FAR more accurate and quick way to measure bodyfat than any scale or apparatus.

Here is how:
    1- look in the mirror.
    2- walk away and continue daily activities
    3- repeat as often as necessary

plated is on a distinguished road. (+10) plated is on a distinguished road. (+10) plated is on a distinguished road. (+10) plated is on a distinguished road. (+10) plated is on a distinguished road. (+10) plated is on a distinguished road. (+10) plated is on a distinguished road. (+10) plated is on a distinguished road. (+10) plated is on a distinguished road. (+10) plated is on a distinguished road. (+10) plated is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yup, it's probably not what you want to hear but those things are pointless. Buy yourself some calipers
    Aug 1 - Nov 1 Comp:
    8-1: 255.8 | 8-8: 253.2 | 8-15: xxx.x | 8-22: xxx.x | 8-29: xxx.x | Month Total:
    9-5: xxx.x | 9-12: xxx.x | 9-19: xxx.x | 9-26: xxx.x | Month Total:
    10-3: xxx.x | 10-10: xxx.x | 10-17: xxx.x | 10-24: xxx.x | 10-31 xxx.x | Month Total:
    Final Weigh-in | 11-1: (Goal: 220 lbs) Haven't seen under 210lbs in 8 years...I'll be there by the end of 2011 =)

My BB.com log - http://tinyurl.com/platedlog

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by kusok View Post
    I tried it all, and I recently discovered a free and FAR more accurate and quick way to measure bodyfat than any scale or apparatus.

Here is how:
    1- look in the mirror.
    2- walk away and continue daily activities
    3- repeat as often as necessary
    The word!^^^^

You're 18 and 268 pounds.... Knowing your body fat percentage at this point does NOTHING for you. (You're in the 30-40% range) Lose 50 pounds.....and look in the mirror....lose another 20 and look in the mirror....repeat until happy!
    Last edited by ejthomp; 03-19-2010 at 08:55 AM.

Originally Posted by ejthomp View Post
    The word!^^^^

You're 18 and 268 pounds.... Knowing your body fat percentage at this point does NOTHING for you. (You're in the 30-40% range) Lose 50 pounds.....and look in the mirror....lose another 20 and look in the mirror....repeat until happy!
    Nah, I'm nowhere near that. I went on a bulk phase about six months ago and just let it run too long. I know I put on probably at least 25 pounds of muscle. I started at about 195 at 9% BF. Still, put on quite a lot more fat than I would have liked. But, hey, I'm 18 with 20+ more pounds of muscle so losing it shouldn't be too difficult. Just wondering if they were any more accurate at certain times. Oh well. Thanks guys.

sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sleet83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You'll eventually be able to eye it out.. after looking at so many pics of people posting 'this is me at X%'. I eye it whenever I weigh myself. I typically lay off the salty food for a day or two and do it after getting up in the morning.

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by sthompson009 View Post
    .......I know I put on probably at least 25 pounds of muscle. I started at about 195 at 9% BF. Still, put on quite a lot more fat than I would have liked. But, hey, I'm 18 with 20+ more pounds of muscle so losing it shouldn't be too difficult. Just wondering if they were any more accurate at certain times. Oh well. Thanks guys.
    So in six months you went from 195 to 268? You gained 73 pounds? And you think 25 pounds of that was muscle? And you think you started at 9% body fat....

Let's see some before and after pictures, as that is just amazing.... especially for an 18 year old. You have over 200 pounds of lean body mass so all you have to do is drop some fat and you can compete on stage......

What are your measurements now? Lifts?

General agreement is that if you can put on 10-12 pounds of muscle in six months, you are doing fantastic..... You're saying you did twice that.... while adding another 50 pounds of fat.... Odds are you put on about 70 pounds of fat.... Hope I'm wrong...
    Last edited by ejthomp; 03-19-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Well, I was actually working as a lifeguard at a YMCA at the time and got free access to the whole place. I made friends with a few of the personal trainers there and they did help me quite a lot. Helped me measure the body fat. I had visible abs, so it is pretty likely it was under 10%. In addition I played football for 3 years. I was also on the swim team from a young age. Not to mention the training drills I had for work. All in all I'd say I would workout 2-3 hours a day most days for the first couple months. Oh, and I rock climbed too. Haha I was pretty busy in high school. I don't have any good before and afters to speak of, as I was not really doing it for looks. It was kind of something I did without thinking about... I worked out more, and as a result I ended up eating a lot more. Most of it was lean meat, whole grains and some fats. Also have been on and off of creatine for the past couple years. I don't know if my age had anything to do with it, but I started strength training on a pretty regular basis when I was about 14. Testosterone left over from puberty may have had something to do with it. Honestly I don't know all the factors, but I definitely know I'm not 40% body fat. My bench is somewhere in the upper 200 range. It was over 300 at one point, but I haven't lifted regularly in about a month and a half. I can squat 285 two reps as of today. Anyway, I guess I just need to go get some calipers and see for myself.

Oh, forgot the measurements. I am away at college right now, don't have my tape.... but I'm going to get one. I can let you know when I do. I can tell you I was in a VERY loose 32 jeans before the bulk because I need 36'' inseam and 30'' waist 36'' inseam pants are very hard to find. Right now I'm in a loose 38 pretty comfortably.
    Last edited by sthompson009; 03-19-2010 at 01:35 PM.