Basshunter36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I want to be lean toned, not bulky. Suggestions?

This is more my goal of a body i want to acheive. (http)://d.imagehost.org/0116/toned-abs.jpg Please copy paste the link and remove the boxes around the HTTP. My post count is low definitly therefore I am not allowed to post links but it's crucial for you to get a good image of my goal

Haha, sorry for the funny pic. But it's to sorta show the goal. I Am sort of that size But want to look lean and become muscular in the way where I don't get bigger but my arms chest shoulder etc become defined. Please don't tell me just lose all of your fat 100% . Obviously muscle has to be developed. If my arm was fat free but straight. i wouldn,t see the tricepts muscle sculpted on the sides back etc. If i had never worked out before.

I have been on the gym for a while but have definitly reached a point where i need to focus on specific sculpting goals more than general muscle developement. What kind of workout plan would you suggest. I work out everything all around.

Bicepts, tripceps, chest, abs, shoulders, back both up and lower. legs.

Could anyone suggest some kind of 4 day program (unless you know of one that is better layed out on a different time frame of day) to acheived a toned look, without going bulky. Also note that If you could tip me on to how to progress over the weeks or what to alter as time goes buy so I don't sink into a routine that causes me a plateau, i'd really appreciate the tips.

Also as a quick side note. Would proteins help me with genereal workout? or will it give me mass. I feel misinformed as some people tell me it helps repair muscle faster, others tell me it will give me bigger mass. I would of believed that creatine would make me bigger, while protein would give me energy and help repair my muscle tissue faster, etc. But either way, would you recommend me taking proteins supplements? In what specifically would it help me or in what would it not help me.

I know it's a big question but it's hard to find this information even after looking around the internet for 6 hours and searching tons of sites, thought i'd get a general opinion here from people who are hands on experienced with this.

Thanks a lot

_OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Basshunter36 View Post
    This is more my goal of a body i want to acheive. (http)://d.imagehost.org/0116/toned-abs.jpg Please copy paste the link and remove the boxes around the HTTP. My post count is low definitly therefore I am not allowed to post links but it's crucial for you to get a good image of my goal

Haha, sorry for the funny pic. But it's to sorta show the goal. I Am sort of that size But want to look lean and become muscular in the way where I don't get bigger but my arms chest shoulder etc become defined. Please don't tell me just lose all of your fat 100% . Obviously muscle has to be developed. If my arm was fat free but straight. i wouldn,t see the tricepts muscle sculpted on the sides back etc. If i had never worked out before.

I have been on the gym for a while but have definitly reached a point where i need to focus on specific sculpting goals more than general muscle developement. What kind of workout plan would you suggest. I work out everything all around.

Bicepts, tripceps, chest, abs, shoulders, back both up and lower. legs.

Could anyone suggest some kind of 4 day program (unless you know of one that is better layed out on a different time frame of day) to acheived a toned look, without going bulky. Also note that If you could tip me on to how to progress over the weeks or what to alter as time goes buy so I don't sink into a routine that causes me a plateau, i'd really appreciate the tips.

Also as a quick side note. Would proteins help me with genereal workout? or will it give me mass. I feel misinformed as some people tell me it helps repair muscle faster, others tell me it will give me bigger mass. I would of believed that creatine would make me bigger, while protein would give me energy and help repair my muscle tissue faster, etc. But either way, would you recommend me taking proteins supplements? In what specifically would it help me or in what would it not help me.

I know it's a big question but it's hard to find this information even after looking around the internet for 6 hours and searching tons of sites, thought i'd get a general opinion here from people who are hands on experienced with this.

Thanks a lot
    This website sounds like it is for you (fitness tips to get lean and toned not bulky) http://fitnessblackbook.com/

Essentially, to get that look, lift heavy weights and low reps (~5) for low volume and lift frequently (each bodypart 2-3 times a week). An upper/lower split sounds ok. This will build the "muscle tone" (i.e., muscular appearance of being tensed even when relaxed). To make the tone visible, you need to be at a low body fat level. Accomplish this by eating less. You don't need supplements to achieve your goal. Just eat less and eat a variety of whole foods.

Basshunter36 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    alright thanks. but what would protein supplements do usualy tho. Is it wrong at all if i still take them? Will it increase mass or just provide me with more energy/muscle repair faster?

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you are afraid to get bigger muscles, as if that was real easy, but want your muscles to be more defined, you have to reduce bodyfat. That means no soda, beer, sugar, white bread etc.

From the level of knowledge displayed in your post, I think you are a novice, and would benefit from a program designed for novices, not some kind of split, and especially one just made up. I seriously doubt you should worry about sculpting until you have some serious muscle to start.

How much muscle and strength have you gained since you started? Be specific, pounds on the bar, pounds on the body, measurements etc.

_OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000)
    alright thanks. but what would protein supplements do usualy tho. Is it wrong at all if i still take them? Will it increase mass or just provide me with more energy/muscle repair faster?
    Under these conditions? They will make your urine expensive.

Niinja is not very helpful. (-500) Niinja is not very helpful. (-500) Niinja is not very helpful. (-500) Niinja is not very helpful. (-500) Niinja is not very helpful. (-500) Niinja is not very helpful. (-500) Niinja is not very helpful. (-500) Niinja is not very helpful. (-500) Niinja is not very helpful. (-500) Niinja is not very helpful. (-500) Niinja is not very helpful. (-500)
    the protein will counter your goals, they will increase your muscle size with proper training.

but we wouldn't want to look bulky now, would we?

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Niinja View Post
    the protein will counter your goals, they will increase your muscle size with proper training.

God forbid!

melvinhd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) melvinhd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) melvinhd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) melvinhd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) melvinhd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) melvinhd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) melvinhd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) melvinhd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) melvinhd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) melvinhd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) melvinhd has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

how to get lean and toned muscle? heavy weights, lower reps or low weights, high reps

what i know is to get lean and toned and not get bulky is to lift light-medium weights with a lots of reps like 20-30 reps. which one is correct, heavy weights with lower reps or lower weights with higher reps for toned and lean muscle but not bulky?

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    I lift heavy (for me, lol), and always heavier, for sets of five across (after warmup sets) - following a simple, full body novice routine. Started off a bit skinnyfat (well, a lot skinny, and a bit fat). Have, in a matter of a few months, just through said weightlifting, become lean, "toned" (aka defined) and stuff. Lost 2.5" or so from my waist, for example. Haz teh sickspachz. Crazy, right?

Yeah. I'm finding it hard to "force-feed" myself, sufficiently so I can put on more weight. Managing, but it's a struggle (a lifetime of habit, right there).

Unless you are one hell of a compulsive eater, and of all the "wrong" things, all the time, I suspect "bulky" is about the last thing you'd have to worry about, if you decided to go for the time-honoured heavy lifting approach. Besides, it's nice - and useful - to be strong as well, in my opinion.

Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by melvinhd View Post
    what i know is to get lean and toned and not get bulky is to lift light-medium weights with a lots of reps like 20-30 reps. which one is correct, heavy weights with lower reps or lower weights with higher reps for toned and lean muscle but not bulky?
    Lifting weights, in any rep range, while progressively adding more weight to the bar in the presence of a good diet, will lead to muscle adaptation to the increasing demands placed on them. If someone doesn't want bigger muscles ("bulky"?) then the plan is pretty straight-forward: keep using the exact same weight on the bar for the same number of sets and the same number of reps. Never progress.
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142702151

JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Niinja View Post

Um what? How about no.

Yes with proper heavy weight training protein shakes will assist you in getting larger/bulkier.

Since that isn't OPs goal, and he clearly shouldn't be/won't lifting heavy and if he isn't lifting heavy protein shakes will not make him bulkier.

OP, protein shakes, especially those that contain BCAA's are indeed simply to help hit your protein macro and help with muscle recovery. They will not make you bulky what so ever, only proper diet & proper heavy weight training will do that.

I'd recommend getting your diet in order per Nutrition FAQ. Get your macros in order to reach your goal. The nutrition FAQ here is really good.

As for work outs, I'd recommend a mixture of LISS cardio and/or HIIT training, & lift maybe 2 x a week doing medium weight circuits training

Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OP how tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MichaelCJ View Post
    I lift heavy (for me, lol), and always heavier, for sets of five across (after warmup sets) - following a simple, full body novice routine. Started off a bit skinnyfat (well, a lot skinny, and a bit fat). Have, in a matter of a few months, just through said weightlifting, become lean, "toned" (aka defined) and stuff. Lost 2.5" or so from my waist, for example. Haz teh sickspachz. Crazy, right?

Yeah. I'm finding it hard to "force-feed" myself, sufficiently so I can put on more weight. Managing, but it's a struggle (a lifetime of habit, right there).

Unless you are one hell of a compulsive eater, and of all the "wrong" things, all the time, I suspect "bulky" is about the last thing you'd have to worry about, if you decided to go for the time-honoured heavy lifting approach. Besides, it's nice - and useful - to be strong as well, in my opinion.
    This is exactly what I do as well. When i got done after my first heavy lifting workout...i was hungry as **** and my core got a great workout, even though I didn't do a single ab exercise.

What people do not understand is that you burn much more calories lifting heavy than you do lifting moderalty.
    OG

JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JKOFF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    This is exactly what I do as well. When i got done after my first heavy lifting workout...i was hungry as **** and my core got a great workout, even though I didn't do a single ab exercise.

What people do not understand is that you burn much more calories lifting heavy than you do lifting moderalty.
    Depends. Someone following the same routine taking big breaks between sets and just doing higher reps with lower weights then yes I agree.

When talking about doing circuit weight training with very little rest between sets then I'm not so sure about that.

Also being strong is somewhat useful, but I definitely think having very good cardio and actual muscular endurance is far more useful & beneficial.
    Last edited by JKOFF; 02-29-2012 at 09:51 AM.