Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Own Both Powerblock and Ironmaster Dumbells - Review

Both Ironmaster and Powerblock make a great product. Which is better?

In my opinion Powerblock dumbells are better, as long as you don't intend to drop them. In all my years of working out I have never accidentally or intentionally dropped a dumbell, so I am not bothered by the fact that they are not intended to be dropped. I guess you can drop Ironmaster dumbells, but I wouldn't make a habit of it since it might affect the locking ability of the individual plates. The plate do not all lock together 100% prefectly- especially the large 22.5 lbs in the additional weight kit. They can slide a bit against the handle no matter how tight you lock them. Powerblocks stack up tight, but do have a small amount of play between the plates.

I have the 90 lb. Powerblocks and the 120 lb. Ironmasters. I leave the Ironmasters for the heavy lifting and the Powerblocks for lighter work. Here's why. The Ironmasters are a serious pain in the a** to make large weight changes on compared to the Powerblocks. It is like night and day. This is the No. 1 reason I would own just the Powerblocks if I had to make a choice. It isn't just the plate changes that are time consuming- it is also the longer Quick-Lock bolt that needs to be changed to the shorter one each time a large weight drop is made. So you have to reach all over the place for the plates and parts. I work out with my wife often and we would not be able to do it with the Ironmasters alone- no way. too many large weight changes. If I did not work out with my wife I would rate these two products more closely- almost a tie.

Ironmasters are quieter, but Powerblocks are not noisy. Despite what some people say, the Powerblocks never feel unstable- ever. The foam grip is a matter of preference, but I don't prefer it one way or another over the traditional Ironmaster grip. The "boxy" feel of the Powerblocks takes a little getting used to, but it is in no way a hinderance to getting results. I do prefer the overall feel of the Ironmaster dumbells better.

Frankly, I feel the Powerblocks are a near perfect dumbell design- they belong in an engineering museum, or something. A genius design. I am a sucker for a well designed product, I'll admit it. Ironmasters are ugly. the paint on the plates is terrible, but the chrome on the handles is fine.

So bottom-line, if you want a quick workout go with the Powerblocks. If you want a traditional open handle dumbell the Ironmaster will satisfy you, for sure. Customer service is top-drawer at both companies, by the way. Oh- one more thing. *** The Ironmaster Super Bench is the closest thing to perfect that you will find. Buy one. The dip attachment is worth the extra dough, as is the sit-up attachment. The best bench for home use without a doubt.

Hope this helps in your decision on which ones to purchase. They are both kind-of expensive, but each holds its value more than any fitness product I can think of. Way better than hex-heads.

MrHolman will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrHolman will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrHolman will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrHolman will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrHolman will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrHolman will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrHolman will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrHolman will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrHolman will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrHolman will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrHolman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by solekid View Post
    Both Ironmaster and Powerblock make a great product. Which is better?

In my opinion Powerblock dumbells are better, as long as you don't intend to drop them. In all my years of working out I have never accidentally or intentionally dropped a dumbell, so I am not bothered by the fact that they are not intended to be dropped. I guess you can drop Ironmaster dumbells, but I wouldn't make a habit of it since it might affect the locking ability of the individual plates. The plate do not all lock together 100% prefectly- especially the large 22.5 lbs in the additional weight kit. They can slide a bit against the handle no matter how tight you lock them. Powerblocks stack up tight, but do have a small amount of play between the plates.

I have the 90 lb. Powerblocks and the 120 lb. Ironmasters. I leave the Ironmasters for the heavy lifting and the Powerblocks for lighter work. Here's why. The Ironmasters are a serious pain in the a** to make large weight changes on compared to the Powerblocks. It is like night and day. This is the No. 1 reason I would own just the Powerblocks if I had to make a choice. It isn't just the plate changes that are time consuming- it is also the longer Quick-Lock bolt that needs to be changed to the shorter one each time a large weight drop is made. So you have to reach all over the place for the plates and parts. I work out with my wife often and we would not be able to do it with the Ironmasters alone- no way. too many large weight changes. If I did not work out with my wife I would rate these two products more closely- almost a tie.

Ironmasters are quieter, but Powerblocks are not noisy. Despite what some people say, the Powerblocks never feel unstable- ever. The foam grip is a matter of preference, but I don't prefer it one way or another over the traditional Ironmaster grip. The "boxy" feel of the Powerblocks takes a little getting used to, but it is in no way a hinderance to getting results. I do prefer the overall feel of the Ironmaster dumbells better.

Frankly, I feel the Powerblocks are a near perfect dumbell design- they belong in an engineering museum, or something. A genius design. I am a sucker for a well designed product, I'll admit it. Ironmasters are ugly. the paint on the plates is terrible, but the chrome on the handles is fine.

So bottom-line, if you want a quick workout go with the Powerblocks. If you want a traditional open handle dumbell the Ironmaster will satisfy you, for sure. Customer service is top-drawer at both companies, by the way. Oh- one more thing. *** The Ironmaster Super Bench is the closest thing to perfect that you will find. Buy one. The dip attachment is worth the extra dough, as is the sit-up attachment. The best bench for home use without a doubt.

Hope this helps in your decision on which ones to purchase. They are both kind-of expensive, but each holds its value more than any fitness product I can think of. Way better than hex-heads.
    nice review, patiently waiting for either to pop up on my craigslist at a reasonable price

Registered User ira_est_a_donum's Avatar
    ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    perfect review... couldnt have said it better.... and I agree... I prefer the Powerblocks...

and 100% spot on with the super bench... been working my CL flips to make some extra cash to get one... since they RARELY are ever on CL...

STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Great review and I agree on all counts. I think it just comes down to personal preference since they are both great pieces of engineering.

I personally couldnt stand the shakeyness of the powerblocks so that is why I went Ironmaster. If my girlfriend was going to be using the dumbbells, then yes it may have swayed my decision too.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #58 []---[]

Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000)
    Excellent review...I had considering purchasing both before finding screaming deals on 2 sets of Stage II PBs. I had only played with them at my local fitness store. The shape and the feel was strange to me. After purchasing and using them for a bit, I absolutely love them!!! I have found them to be more stable and user friendly than I first thought. I sold one of my sets and will be upgrading to the new Sport Block 9.0 Stage III. I will likely keep the last remaining Pro Set Stage II for my son and wife to use when we are all working out together. I also love the small footprint. With the purchase of the 130lb stage III's, I'll be able to sell all my std plates (260lbs, and both sets of spinlocks and the special std db plate tree). My only issue is that because of the design of the Stage III upgrade, I cant really use the powerhooks that I have. The Powerhooks are awesome, but for only 130lb db's, I can probably manage without them (except on declines...getting them & me into place).
    My Cave
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=475500571&posted=1#post475500571
    Post 82 & 83

_OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good review. What about weight changes between the stage 2 and 3 on the Powerblock. Are they still quick? And how quick is that compared to comparable weight changes on the Iron Masters? This would be a useful point to address for some people considering the purchase. Personally, I chose the Powerblocks over the Ironmasters for the quicker weight change due to my style of training. However, I only have the stage 2.

Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post
    Good review. What about weight changes between the stage 2 and 3 on the Powerblock. Are they still quick? And how quick is that compared to comparable weight changes on the Iron Masters? This would be a useful point to address for some people considering the purchase. Personally, I chose the Powerblocks over the Ironmasters for the quicker weight change due to my style of training. However, I only have the stage 2.
    When adding weight with the Stage III part, it takes an extra 3-5 seconds per dumbbell. Nothing to complain about. When switching from, say, 30lbs to 90lbs on the Ironmasters, it takes about a minute total. You have to switch out the short screws for the longer screws, get the big plates, etc.. If you take minute or longer breaks between sets it's no big deal. If you get an extra set of handles + stand it's much shorter since you can use one set of handles for lower poundages (short screws) and another set for the heavier weights (long screws).
    Carpe diem

mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Very well written and objective review.
    Having used both and own PBs I would agree 100% with your conclusion.

leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I own both 90 lb Powerblocks and 165 lb Ironmasters. I completely agree with this review.

ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ninjaneer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

thanks!

great review! i'm only planning to use my IMs for weights between 75 and 120 (after i get the extension kit), so that should cut down on swapping time. then again, even swapping between 70 lbs and 30 lbs is a bit cumbersome, since you gotta keep the plates from falling over and then put them away.

Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000) Earl H is just really nice. (+1000)
    Picked up the Stage III's a bit ago. Contoured handle works good for me vs. the Pros. I like the Xtra room. The clearances on the plates are a bit more, so they clang a bit more than the Pros (Set 1 and 2). The Stage III kit could have been done (engineered) better...not sure why they chose the route they did. I really would like a pass-through design so that I could use my powerhooks, but I guess you cant have everything. Going from 90 to 110 / 120 / 130 takes only one extra step, which shouldn't take more than a couple of seconds. All-in-all, perfectly acceptable.

I can't/won't compare the IM's, cuz I don't have the experience base to do so. But they do make a mean FID bench though!
    My Cave
    Post 82 & 83

justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    For those that own both types, I have a question. Solekid mentions that the Ironmasters are 'ugly'. Does the paint really flake off the plates compared to the Powerblocks? How does the finish differ on the Powerblocks to prevent this from occuring?

IMO, Ironmaster shouldn't bother painting their plates if it just chips off. I own a collection of plates that are not painted and they look as good today as the day I bought them years ago. You might think it is silly to consider the appearance of a product, but if I am spending over $1000 on exercise equipment from a company, then I would like the items to maintain their 'like new' appearance under proper use.

mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by justinluck View Post
    For those that own both types, I have a question. Solekid mentions that the Ironmasters are 'ugly'. Does the paint really flake off the plates compared to the Powerblocks? How does the finish differ on the Powerblocks to prevent this from occuring?
    Very simple, PBs are powdercoated while IMs are painted.
    Powdercoat is a far more durable finish.

solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solekid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Painf on IMs

IMO, Ironmaster shouldn't bother painting their plates if it just chips off. I own a collection of plates that are not painted and they look as good today as the day I bought them years ago. You might think it is silly to consider the appearance of a product, but if I am spending over $1000 on exercise equipment from a company, then I would like the items to maintain their 'like new' appearance under proper use.

The paint comes off very easily and looks bad straight out of the box on the Ironmasters. the Powerblocks have very nice paint, but will get a little banged up, too. Overall, the Powerblocks look much cleaner. MUCH cleaner.

C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by solekid View Post
    The paint comes off very easily and looks bad straight out of the box on the Ironmasters. the Powerblocks have very nice paint, but will get a little banged up, too. Overall, the Powerblocks look much cleaner. MUCH cleaner.
    I'm surprised that for what they retail for, that they didn't even flip a few more bucks in production to powder coat them. That's absurd!
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 25

justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1 View Post
    I'm surprised that for what they retail for, that they didn't even flip a few more bucks in production to powder coat them. That's absurd!
    I agree. I have been weighing the pros and cons of the Ironmasters vs Powerblocks for the past couple months while I make a purchasing decision. I was about to choose the Ironmasters, but upon hearing this news, the balance has tipped and I'm 99% sure I will buy the Powerblocks even though they are significantly more expensive.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1 View Post

I don't know what these people are talking about. I have a used set that I got from a guy in Lansing. They're not that old, but they are old enough to have a white stand instead of a gray one....maybe five years? He said he used them regularly, but didn't abuse them....also implied that he was getting rid of them because he works out with 2 buddies.....so they were used by several people. I've had them for almost three months and use them once or twice a week.

The paint is not chipping or flaking, these db's look great, and I'd pay full price for them in a heart beat. The powerblocks look great, no doubt, and I don't know why the IM's aren't powder coated...but there isn't anything wrong with them. From what I've heard, if you get a bad plate, IM will take care of it for you.

The only appreciable benefit of the Powerblocks over the IM's is speed of changing the weights. This may be very important to some and is a valid reason for choosing them. Any perception that there is a lack of quality or construction on the part of the IM's is not.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xephonics is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The lack of anything over 130lbs would deter me from buying PB's. The extra 35 i'd get from IM's would make them a better fit (if I were not getting a different setup for my dbs)
    ()---() York Barbell Club #37 ()---()

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    the only reason i can think of for the ironmaster plates to be painted instead of powdercoated is that paint is thinner. maybe it's easier on the bolt/handle if the plates are a little thinner? i'm sure the difference isn't much, though, to be honest.

powdercoat would chip too, so i don't know that it would even matter. besides, most plates are painted, right? why should dumbbell plates be any different?
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[]---[]Equipment Crew Member No.3[]---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #2 ()---()

I am not sure what the finish is on these Gold's Gym plates that I purchased at Walmart in 2008. But I have been using them for about a year and a half now, roughly 3 times per week. I repeatedly slide the plates on and off spin-lock handles (where they are subject to clanging together) during each workout between sets and yet the finish on these plates still look brand new, like the day I bought them. The GG plates don't look painted to me but they feel like they might have some type of coating on them to smooth the surface. Here is a photo that I took tonight, showing four of these plates. I e-mailed Matt at Ironmaster, expressing my concern about the durability issue. I will let you know if I receive a reply.

STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The thin paint issue is true, my plates have knicks of paint missing. The reason the paint is so thin must be because of the quicklock design. If the plates were any thicker with paint they wouldntn't interlock as well.

It in no way affects lifting and shouldn't deter anyone from buying them. I did my first full workout with my 120's tonight and the change time wasn't too bad. I really enjoyed working out with them.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #58 []---[]

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by STR8OUT View Post
    The thin paint issue is true, my plates have knicks of paint missing. The reason the paint is so thin must be because of the quicklock design. If the plates were any thicker with paint they wouldntn't interlock as well.

It in no way affects lifting and shouldn't deter anyone from buying them. I did my first full workout with my 120's tonight and the change time wasn't too bad. I really enjoyed working out with them.

Knicks and scratches, yes.....flaking...no. The paint is not peeling and flaking off is it? That would be bad, hexes do that, but my IM's do not. This stuff is going to get banged up a bit and that's just a cost of doing business. If these guys are wanting them to look like they got them out of the box 10 years from now......then I suggest leaving them......in......the box, cause that's the only way its going to happen.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Perhaps I am imagining the appearance worse that it really is. But when solekid is using the adjectives 'ugly' and 'terrible' to describe the paint job, I can only assume there is appreciable amounts of wear occurring that is unexpected on equipment in this price range.

Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Unbreakable09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ^^^
    Knicks occur on any piece of equipment when it gets banged around. Do the Powerblocks have a sturdier paint job? Yes, they do. They're still going to get banged up, scratched and knicked over time though. The IMs are much more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion, and I've never really heard of someone liking the looks of the PBs more than the IMs. The paint on the IMs is just fine. The only place knicks/scratches occur are mainly on the edges of the plates, which should be expected. I've owned both, I'm not biased in any way.

By the way, you've been mulling this decision for months? It's time to pull the trigger man. You know all the info you need to know by now, just pick a set and go with it. Trust me, you'll like either one, you can't go wrong.
    Carpe diem

yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    I don't know what these people are talking about. I have a used set that I got from a guy in Lansing. They're not that old, but they are old enough to have a white stand instead of a gray one....maybe five years? He said he used them regularly, but didn't abuse them....also implied that he was getting rid of them because he works out with 2 buddies.....so they were used by several people. I've had them for almost three months and use them once or twice a week.

The paint is not chipping or flaking, these db's look great, and I'd pay full price for them in a heart beat. The powerblocks look great, no doubt, and I don't know why the IM's aren't powder coated...but there isn't anything wrong with them. From what I've heard, if you get a bad plate, IM will take care of it for you.

The only appreciable benefit of the Powerblocks over the IM's is speed of changing the weights. This may be very important to some and is a valid reason for choosing them. Any perception that there is a lack of quality or construction on the part of the IM's is not.
    I'm with you Keetman. I've had my IM's for almost 2 years and they still look great. I use my dumbbells on Monday, Tuesday and Saturday every week. There is no flaking paint at all. There are some scratches but that's about it. The advantage of having a dumbbell that actually looks and feels like a dumbbell is more important to me. Not hating on the Powerblocks but they just felt weird to me.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.19

Proud Owner of an Irish Tan

Unbreakable, I absolutely do want to pull the trigger very soon!

I have never owned painted plates, so I just haven't seen what is being described. As a frame of reference, here are some more plates that I use on a regular basis.

These gray plates I found left out on a street for trash about ten years ago. They only have some scratches on the edges where someone must have used them on a hard surface. I slide and clank them together all the time without damage.

These are dumbbells I purchased at Target about ten years ago (around '99) for about $35. The chrome finish has never scratched or tarnished. I slide them onto the handles with the other types of plates all the time without incident. If Ironmaster wanted to get around the paint issue, something like chrome or a texture like the Gold's Gym plates might be the way to go.

I bought this Gold's Gym bench at Walmart in the spring of 2008 for about $70. I readjust the angle of the bench during each workout, but the paint has never scratched away in the grooves. The white marks you see are just reflections from the flash.
    Last edited by justinluck; 03-19-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Perhaps I am imagining the appearance worse that it really is. But when solekid is using the adjectives 'ugly' and 'terrible' to describe the paint job, I can only assume there is appreciable amounts of wear occurring that is unexpected on equipment in this price range.

I don't know what to tell you Justin.

That Solekid used those words to describe the IM's, IMO, is a mistake. I've seen new powerblocks, but never weathered ones.....I don't know how they'll hold up, but yes they are pretty new. We'll just say they look great as you use them.....who cares?

The IM's are tougher, cheaper, practical, and feel more like a dumbbell. They don't wear poorly and the paint isn't flaking off.....period. Again the only thing that PB's beat them on us speed of changing weights.

That is an important aspect of adjustable DB's and if its important to you, you should strongly consider the PB's.

You've got 3 people here telling you they love their IM's and the finish isn't bad. You also have a 30 day money back policy with IM's.....what can you loose?

I don't think your going to be sorry either way, but you needn't worry about the quality of the IM's.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KSA has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I bought my IM 4 years ago and they still look new

Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    I don't know what to tell you Justin.

You've got 3 people here telling you they love their IM's and the finish isn't bad. You also have a 30 day money back policy with IM's.....what can you loose?

I don't think your going to be sorry either way, but you needn't worry about the quality of the IM's.
    Bottom line!...try 'em, if you don't like them return and buy the other. There is zero risk here, which isn't usually the case. It seems like both are quality pieces, which really all anyone can really speak to when discussing this type of decision. In the end it will come down to personal preference. Pull the trigger!!!!

Also, the resale value on these things are unreal!, so down the road if you need to sell, they will likely return anywhere from 50 to 85% of their new retail value.
    My Cave
    Post 82 & 83

I agree with what's being said too, the paint job is better on the PB's, but you don't buy them to have them sit in a corner and look pretty. Bottom line is if you must have the feel of regular DBs, then IM's are it.....if speed changes are your thing, then PBs can't be beat. It really is that simple. Go to a store and try them both (if possible) and see which you like best. Once you decide, buy them and don't look back.