Thread: Help, HUNGRY!

tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Help, HUNGRY!

Hi folks,
    I have been lurking for a loooong time. I have viewed a number of posts but not really the answers I am looking for. I really want to get lean but at 39 it is hard. While I recognize I lack the discipline part of it is due to the lack of results or the length of time it takes to get there. One of biggest challanges I face is the HUNGER! I realize that a six pack is "made in the kitchen" but when I work out with weights I get really hungry, especially in the evening! Also I recently tried to start running but I just cannot find the time to do both - running and weights. So I go back and forth between the two. While running helps you lose weight quickly I want to maintain some muscle and strength. I would like to know how you all manage the hungar pangs when working out with weights and eating less?? Part of my other problem is that I have GERD so when I try and cut out the carbs in the evening I feel like my stomach is "burning"..after I eat some cereal or something it I feel better/fuller. If I just have a chicken breast with some asparagus I dont feel full. So I am looking for some stratagies that some of you use. Below is my timing & typical meal..

6:30am - 1 egg, 3 egg whites, little cheese, whole wheat burito
    9:30am - whole wheat bagel, peanut butter and coffee
    12:30pm - whole wheat 6" assorted sub, little low fat mayo
    3:30pm - cup of cottage Cheese
    7:30pm - curry chicken with one pita
    9pm - green tea, apple with cottage cheese

Any advice?? Should I start with diet pills?? j/k

Thx!
    Marven

Registered User DeathtoToasters's Avatar
    DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by marvenmassey View Post
    Hi folks,
    I have been lurking for a loooong time. I have viewed a number of posts but not really the answers I am looking for. I really want to get lean but at 39 it is hard. While I recognize I lack the discipline part of it is due to the lack of results or the length of time it takes to get there. One of biggest challanges I face is the HUNGER! I realize that a six pack is "made in the kitchen" but when I work out with weights I get really hungry, especially in the evening! Also I recently tried to start running but I just cannot find the time to do both - running and weights. So I go back and forth between the two. While running helps you lose weight quickly I want to maintain some muscle and strength. I would like to know how you all manage the hungar pangs when working out with weights and eating less?? Part of my other problem is that I have GERD so when I try and cut out the carbs in the evening I feel like my stomach is "burning"..after I eat some cereal or something it I feel better/fuller. If I just have a chicken breast with some asparagus I dont feel full. So I am looking for some stratagies that some of you use. Below is my timing & typical meal..

Thx!
    Marven

Alot of carbs, and alot of fat. That is one of your issues.

Oh and to reuse a well know mantra:

"No one said it would be easy....just worth it"

tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tryintogetlean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters View Post
    Ok..any suggestions?

Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ok..any suggestions?
    Less of them, more of protein.

Registered User DeathtoToasters's Avatar
    DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ok..any suggestions?
    Start here:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/zaino14.htm

do research and read.

Thx!

Start here:
    do research and read.
    OK I'll start here..havent seen this before..

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Do_Somethin View Post
    Less of them, more of protein.
    These guys have it right. Your diet may have a lot of "healthy" sounding stuff, but it's very high in fat. You need to start educationg yourself on the nutritional content of common foods. Your goal as a beginning dieter should be to eliminate as much fat and simple carbohydrates as you can, and eat a lot of protein to keep your body from cannibalizing muscle for fuel. And you need to have a good weight training regimen to stimulate muscle growth, along with some cardiovascular exercise, which will in turn make your body consume more fat.

You have good intentions, I think you just need to learn a little more about the macronutrients in your food and how the body utilizes them. Also, post your exercise routine, and the knowledgeable will be able to give you some tips on how to fine tune that aspect as well.

Keep trying, it gets easier with time and knowledge.
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with above posters. Your diet is wrong. Way too much carbs and not enough protien.

To stay full you need to add tons of High fiber low cal food like green vegtables and oat.
    Cut down on bread all together. Trust me bread is not good for losing weight. Avoid simple carbs

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Educate yourself. I started with a target of calories and went with a standard breakdown of carbs, protein and fats. I go with grams for everything, since most food packaging uses that unit. Of course if you're lifting weights, the protein has to go up. Look for the foods with good carbs as well.

There is so much information available. A trip to a nutritionist isn't a bad idea either, they can set you up with a good balance of diet, then its up to YOU to stick with it.

I'm on a cut right now and have gotten over the "hungry all the time part". The body gets used to that level of calorie intake and will demand it if it doesn't get it. In time, it adjusts again to the new requirement.

BG
    Last edited by beachguy498; 03-19-2010 at 05:42 AM.
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....

GreyGymrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGymrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGymrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGymrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGymrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGymrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGymrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGymrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGymrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGymrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGymrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think there is a difference between being really hungry and being non disciplined.
    Just because your body nudges you to eat doesn't mean you have to.

I agree with the posters above. Not enough protein, to many crap carbs. Don't discount what water can do. I take in over a gallon a day.

Some ideas to keep you full during the day/night:

old fashioned style oat meal to start your day
    Adding raw celery as a snack or to any meal
    Making sure you eat at least a cup of broc/califlower/greenbeans or california mix to any meal.
    Having 1 oz of almonds or mixed nuts and 20+ oz of water for snack.
    Make sure you include a post workout source of protein.

There have been days where I feel full all day even though I am eating under my bmr.
    Rule# 32 Enjoy the little things in life.

kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kittyboy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Uh, vegetables? As peter03 pointed out, they're low-cal/high-fiber, and their bulk will fill your stomach. I also believe it's important to include healthy fats with your meals, as fats take longer to digest and will help you feel fuller for longer.

I'm not opposed to bread, but the bread I eat is low in simple sugars and contains 5-6 grams of fiber per slice. Your bagel and sub bread are probably loaded with sugar and lacking in fiber. Always read nutritional labels and understand what you're putting into your body.

Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm with the OP in a way here. I can stick to all these things but I'm still very hungry most of the day, especially at night. I could eat a head of broccoli and still be hungry. I normally just end up having some beef jerky or a handful of nuts and trying to go to bed.

I've reached a point where I'm not going to sacrifice taste/enjoyment of eating because of what some BBer says. I'm not a professional BBer. Never will be. Anyone could post a diet and it won't be satisfactory to someone else.

What I do, though, is incorporate the basics and ideas into my diet. Which is a happy medium. And it's still eating way better than 90% of the population.

But I'm still hungry! lol

JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Legbuh View Post
    I'm with the OP in a way here. I can stick to all these things but I'm still very hungry most of the day, especially at night. I could eat a head of broccoli and still be hungry. I normally just end up having some beef jerky or a handful of nuts and trying to go to bed.

I've reached a point where I'm not going to sacrifice taste/enjoyment of eating because of what some BBer says. I'm not a professional BBer. Never will be. Anyone could post a diet and it won't be satisfactory to someone else.

What I do, though, is incorporate the basics and ideas into my diet. Which is a happy medium. And it's still eating way better than 90% of the population.

But I'm still hungry! lol

I use to have that attitude. Eat what you want....take it easy.....enjoy life......I am better then 90% of the population.

I really could care less.....we all have the freedom to choose what we do.

But one question? Why fool yourself though and think diet advice does not apply to you and you really don't care what "B'Brs" have to say. Many of them as you know have fought the fight, made huge gains, and are improving themselves every day. It takes a lot to stay at a high or even medium fitness level.

No one said it would be easy. But to disrespect those who have given advice out of your own unwillingness to change is a bad idea in my opinion.

"Good is the enemy of great" - Voltaire (Enzo Ferrari)
    Last edited by JTraining; 03-19-2010 at 06:44 AM.
    The first rule to winning the game is to stay in it......

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My suggestion is to stop worrying about being hungry. Hunger is a sensation related to a hormonal release. The hormones are telling you, "Help! We're interrupting stasis!" which is really what you want if you're trying to burn fat. You're not starving, and you won't lose more muscle than fat, and you'll look a lot bigger when the fat's gone.

Yeah, hunger's uncomfortable, but so what?
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thx!
    Marven

your diet sucks, where are the veggies the fresh fruit, meat , rice , pasta etc.. it's all sandwiches and cottage cheese..

if you're hungry eat the right foods, that is not a diet fit for a human
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

Replies

Hi folks, here are my replies..sorry I was not able to get back my Internet connection. Thx for taking the time to reply!

M.

Originally Posted by IronCharles View Post
    You have good intentions, I think you just need to learn a little more about the macronutrients in your food and how the body utilizes them. Also, post your exercise routine, and the knowledgeable will be able to give you some tips on how to fine tune that aspect as well.
    Keep trying, it gets easier with time and knowledge.
    Thx for the advice and encouragement IronCharles..

Originally Posted by peter03 View Post
    I agree with above posters. Your diet is wrong. Way too much carbs and not enough protien. To stay full you need to add tons of High fiber low cal food like green vegtables and oat. Cut down on bread all together. Trust me bread is not good for losing weight. Avoid simple carbs
    Yes, I have been on 'low-carb' before and it helped lose alot of weight but that cant carryon forever we need carbs - what I am realizing is using Low GI carbs..IE broccoli is the way to go - thx Peter!

Originally Posted by beachguy498 View Post
    Educate yourself. I started with a target of calories and went with a standard breakdown of carbs, protein and fats. I go with grams for everything, since most food packaging uses that unit. Of course if you're lifting weights, the protein has to go up. Look for the foods with good carbs as well. There is so much information available. A trip to a nutritionist isn't a bad idea either, they can set you up with a good balance of diet, then its up to YOU to stick with it. I'm on a cut right now and have gotten over the "hungry all the time part". The body gets used to that level of calorie intake and will demand it if it doesn't get it. In time, it adjusts again to the new requirement.
    BG
    I tried using FITDAY and items like that but it became too consuming and not being able to match up the foods ( I know I know - boohoo!) A trip to the nutritionist is something I am definitely looking at..Yes the body does get used to it..the first few days are always really hard though....I just need more discipline..Thx BG!

Originally Posted by GreyGymrat View Post
    I think there is a difference between being really hungry and being non disciplined. Just because your body nudges you to eat doesn't mean you have to.I agree with the posters above. Not enough protein, to many crap carbs. Don't discount what water can do. I take in over a gallon a day.
    Some ideas to keep you full during the day/night:
    old fashioned style oat meal to start your day
    Adding raw celery as a snack or to any meal
    Making sure you eat at least a cup of broc/califlower/greenbeans or california mix to any meal. Having 1 oz of almonds or mixed nuts and 20+ oz of water for snack.
    Make sure you include a post workout source of protein.
    There have been days where I feel full all day even though I am eating under my bmr.
    I gotta say I get REALLY hungry though..I can deal with regular hungar but I suspect as folks have already pointed out I am not getting enough protien or am not eating enough of the right foods. I try to stop eating at about 7pm but I do need to have protein source later in the evening - I stopped the low fat cottage cheese and apple at about 9pm..I tried drinking a gallon of water a day but I feel really bloated..do we really need that much water?? I end having to pee every 10-15 mins! thx Grey!

I'm with the OP in a way here. I can stick to all these things but I'm still very hungry most of the day, especially at night. I could eat a head of broccoli and still be hungry. lol
    lol - thx Legbuh!

Originally Posted by JTraining View Post
    Why fool yourself though and think diet advice does not apply to you and you really don't care what "B'Brs" have to say. Many of them as you know have fought the fight, made huge gains, and are improving themselves every day. It takes a lot to stay at a high or even medium fitness level.
    No one said it would be easy. But to disrespect those who have given advice out of your own unwillingness to change is a bad idea in my opinion.
    That is why this is a great forum Training..BTW I dont think Legbuh was trying to be disrespectful - just honest..

Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    My suggestion is to stop worrying about being hungry. Hunger is a sensation related to a hormonal release. The hormones are telling you, "Help! We're interrupting stasis!" which is really what you want if you're trying to burn fat. You're not starving, and you won't lose more muscle than fat, and you'll look a lot bigger when the fat's gone.
    I never thought of hungar like that..next time I'll remember that when I want to chew on my arm for a snack ;-)

Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    Yeah, hunger's uncomfortable, but so what?
    See my previous posting to GreyGymrat! Thx Marius!

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There are two things that trigger hunger hormone to be released. One is burning fat. The other is time of day. The time of day variable is greatly affected by how much sleep you're getting. The more tired you are, the more hungry you'll feel. Don't think that you need a LOT of sleep to help here, though. What you need more than anything is consistent sleep of at least seven hours if you can manage it, but even getting six hours from the same hour to the same hour (or very close to the same hour) every night is better than trying to "catch up" over the weekend. That disrupts your circadian rhythms even more and ends up making you more run down and even more hungry.

On the hunger-hormones-from-burning-fat front, you can use that to control your brain and not the other way around by reminding it that when you're hungry, and it isn't time to eat steak and oysters with a big, hearty salad of mixed greens, bell peppers, cucumbers, and onions that you're burning fat, and that's a good thing, so it needs to stop bugging you to stuff your face.

I'm a former fat body myself, so I know where you're coming from, and I had to educate myself a lot about what real hunger is, where it comes from, how to control it, and how to tell the difference between real hunger and BS.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Joe Go has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    your diet sucks, where are the veggies the fresh fruit, meat , rice , pasta etc.. it's all sandwiches and cottage cheese..

if you're hungry eat the right foods, that is not a diet fit for a human
    I agree.

You need more food volume and variety, but end at the same total calorie number. Start logging all the food eaten in a program like fitday so you can see a clearer picture of your diet. Download the desktop version of fitday if you have internet connection problems.

Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50) Legbuh will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I use to have that attitude. Eat what you want....take it easy.....enjoy life......I am better then 90% of the population.

I really could care less.....we all have the freedom to choose what we do.
    That's not even close to what I said.

In a nutshell I was saying I'm not going to deprive myself by eating stone oats, plain chicken breast, tuna, etc for my meals. Life's too short for that.

I will however use knowledge gained on this site to eat well, but still make it palatable and enjoyable at the same time. With a nice cold Leiny's to wash it down.

Example.. my wife is Catholic so tonight I'm cooking fish (I'm the cook, she doesn't cook). I'm making Talapia fried in a little EVOO (lemon pepper too of course).

For the side, cut up sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips. For desert, fresh pinapple (not canned... FRESH).

(I make this 2-3 times a week. My other side is steamed carrots and califlower which I then quickly sautee in EVOO with red onion and green pepper... frickin yum)

What will the other 90% of the population eat? Fish sticks and french fries with chocolate cake for desert.

Sat is my cheat meal for supper. Buffalo wings. Maybe a side salad.

I'm happy with my progress. I'm hungry 2 hours after every meal, but I'd rather be hungry that eat some plain stone cut oats or whatever it is people are talking about.. It's not a sacrifice if it's a lifestyle change. Just like the healthcare bill, you can't get there in one fail swooooop.

JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    That's not even close to what I said.

In a nutshell I was saying I'm not going to deprive myself by eating stone oats, plain chicken breast, tuna, etc for my meals. Life's too short for that.

I will however use knowledge gained on this site to eat well, but still make it palatable and enjoyable at the same time. With a nice cold Leiny's to wash it down.

Example.. my wife is Catholic so tonight I'm cooking fish (I'm the cook, she doesn't cook). I'm making Talapia fried in a little EVOO (lemon pepper too of course).

For the side, cut up sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips. For desert, fresh pinapple (not canned... FRESH).

(I make this 2-3 times a week. My other side is steamed carrots and califlower which I then quickly sautee in EVOO with red onion and green pepper... frickin yum)

What will the other 90% of the population eat? Fish sticks and french fries with chocolate cake for desert.

Sat is my cheat meal for supper. Buffalo wings. Maybe a side salad.

I'm happy with my progress. I'm hungry 2 hours after every meal, but I'd rather be hungry that eat some plain stone cut oats or whatever it is people are talking about.. It's not a sacrifice if it's a lifestyle change. Just like the healthcare bill, you can't get there in one fail swooooop.

Fair enough. I think the most important thing is that you are happy with your program and your progress. Not everyone has a desire to push themselves to see the best that they can be....sometimes good enough is just that......good enough. But remember........Good can be the enemy of great
    The first rule to winning the game is to stay in it......

Manlet Extraordinaire jmelanson's Avatar
    jmelanson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jmelanson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jmelanson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jmelanson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jmelanson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jmelanson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jmelanson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jmelanson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jmelanson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jmelanson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jmelanson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Part of my other problem is that I have GERD so when I try and cut out the carbs in the evening I feel like my stomach is "burning"..after I eat some cereal or something it I feel better/fuller.

Thx!
    Marven
    I also have GERDS. I went on a KETO diet which has almost no carbs whatsoever and my GERDS was gone. I mean gone. I used to take a prescribed pill a day for the GERDS (like Prevacid or Nexxium) and when on KETO, I didn't have to take anything at all. So it is not the cutting of carbs causing your GERDS, quite the opposite, it is the carbs causing it.

Now that I eat the proper foods like the others have suggested, in 6-8 small meals a day, I only take maybe one Prevacid a week. Eating too much at one time also causes the acid to flair up.

These guys know what they are talking about.

dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    With the exception of about 2 or 3 times, I haven't been hungry since I started lifting weights on December 1. I eat 7 meals a day spreading out my macros. IN FACT, MOST OF THE TIME I eat when I'm not even hungry, which sucks but I choke it down.
    It is physically impossible to achieve molecular dislocation with a smile on your face.

Fair enough. I think the most important thing is that you are happy with your program and your progress. Not everyone has a desire to push themselves to see the best that they can be....sometimes good enough is just that......good enough. But remember........Good can be the enemy of great
    One persons "good enough" is... well, you get it.

They way see it is, I could do these fancy disgusting diets, but I would quickly stop. So I find it easier to go slow and make lifestyle changes, not force it, only to fail. You should have seen the crap I was eating just a year ago.. (and lifting then too). It's been a slow road, but it's a road I can stay on.

culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I know this is going against the common wisdom but here goes:

When I am eating to lose fat, I only eat 3 meals a day. That way I can have enough food to mentally satisfy me.

Some may argue that more meals are optimal; I would argue more meals *may* be optimal for gaining muscle but I am trying to do what is optimal for losing fat.

Eating 5-6 meals /day when cutting forces me to eat "mini meals" and "mini meals' have the effect of making me hungrier.

YMMV

Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by culican View Post

When I am eating to lose fat, I only eat 3 meals a day. That way I can have enough food to mentally satisfy me.

Some may argue that more meals are optimal; I would argue more meals *may* be optimal for gaining muscle but I am trying to do what is optimal for losing fat.

Eating 5-6 meals /day when cutting forces me to eat "mini meals" and "mini meals' have the effect of making me hungrier.

YMMV
    Umm, gaining muscle helps you lose fat...

culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Do_Somethin View Post
    Umm, gaining muscle helps you lose fat...
    Of course it does.

However, a caloric deficit is not conducive to muscle building. The original poster posted about a problem with hunger. I provided one of many responses. Don't know what your "Umm" is all about.

Sorry for the late replies guys...

Originally Posted by jmelanson View Post
    I also have GERDS. I went on a KETO diet which has almost no carbs whatsoever and my GERDS was gone. I mean gone. I used to take a prescribed pill a day for the GERDS (like Prevacid or Nexxium) and when on KETO, I didn't have to take anything at all. So it is not the cutting of carbs causing your GERDS, quite the opposite, it is the carbs causing it. Now that I eat the proper foods like the others have suggested, in 6-8 small meals a day, I only take maybe one Prevacid a week. Eating too much at one time also causes the acid to flair up. These guys know what they are talking about.
    Thx for this gold nugget jmelanson..perhaps I will try this..

Originally Posted by culican View Post
    When I am eating to lose fat, I only eat 3 meals a day. That way I can have enough food to mentally satisfy me. Some may argue that more meals are optimal; I would argue more meals *may* be optimal for gaining muscle but I am trying to do what is optimal for losing fat. Eating 5-6 meals /day when cutting forces me to eat "mini meals" and "mini meals' have the effect of making me hungrier.
    YMMV
    I found the exact same thing Culican..the more I eat the hungrier I get..yes yes I know perhaps if ate the "right" foods I would be able to drop the weight and not get as hungry..

M.
    Last edited by marvenmassey; 03-24-2010 at 08:41 AM.