diabeetus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Diabetes and Bodybuilding

Im not exactly sure where to post this all, as its covers a pretty large range of topics. My apologies if it should be somewhere else. Im 21 years old, a type one diabetic for around 9 years, my body is pretty average looking id say, im thin, but not scrawny, looks somewhat athletic. Thats where the athleticism ends. Ive really let myself go over the past few years. My diet has been horrible with little to no excecise, I smoke around a pack a day and my blood sugar is not what it should be (average numbers are in the high one hundreds to low two hundreds.) I did alot of reading and decided to get control of my body. I went a joined a gym and am in the process of kicking the cigarettes. All thats happened after two weeks of working out is that despite me eating good clean foods, my sugar is even higher from eating too much, despite taking what should be enough insulin to cover it. Im looking for advice from any other diabetics out there or people with experience on the subject as to what has worked/what works. Ill post the routine I made up and my current stats/goals below as well as some information regarding my diabetes.

Monday-

Deadlift 3x5
    Row 3x8
    Lat Pulldown 3x8
    Bicep Curl 3x8

Wednesday-

Dumbell Bench 3x8
    Incline Dumbell Bench 3x8
    Skull Crushers 3x8
    Tricep Pressdown 3x8

Thursday-
    Squat 3x8
    Leg Extension 3x8
    Standing Calf Raise 3x8
    Overhead Press 3x8

I know this should read monday wednesday and friday, but my schedule doesnt allow for that.

Im currently around 165 pounds at 5 foot 11. I take my insulin by injection, I use Lantus and Humalog and am considering switching over to an insulin pump in the coming weeks. The only supplement I have purchased is Whey protein. My goal right now is a simple one. A small sized t shirt currently fits my tightly. I want a medium sized t shirt to fit me that tight in 6 months to a year or sooner if possible. I know this is a long post, but I really appreciate anything anyone can do to help me. Im also going to be starting a journal, not just about my gains in size and strength but with a focus on the effect this will have on my diabetes and blood glucose control for anyone else in the same situation.

forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) forklift has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Prime Minister of Canada. honor_your_life's Avatar
    honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by diabeetus View Post
    Im not exactly sure where to post this all, as its covers a pretty large range of topics. My apologies if it should be somewhere else. Im 21 years old, a type one diabetic for around 9 years, my body is pretty average looking id say, im thin, but not scrawny, looks somewhat athletic. Thats where the athleticism ends. Ive really let myself go over the past few years. My diet has been horrible with little to no excecise, I smoke around a pack a day and my blood sugar is not what it should be (average numbers are in the high one hundreds to low two hundreds.) I did alot of reading and decided to get control of my body. I went a joined a gym and am in the process of kicking the cigarettes. All thats happened after two weeks of working out is that despite me eating good clean foods, my sugar is even higher from eating too much, despite taking what should be enough insulin to cover it. Im looking for advice from any other diabetics out there or people with experience on the subject as to what has worked/what works. Ill post the routine I made up and my current stats/goals below as well as some information regarding my diabetes.

Monday-

Deadlift 3x5
    Row 3x8
    Lat Pulldown 3x8
    Bicep Curl 3x8

Wednesday-

Dumbell Bench 3x8
    Incline Dumbell Bench 3x8
    Skull Crushers 3x8
    Tricep Pressdown 3x8

Thursday-
    Squat 3x8
    Leg Extension 3x8
    Standing Calf Raise 3x8
    Overhead Press 3x8

I know this should read monday wednesday and friday, but my schedule doesnt allow for that.

Im currently around 165 pounds at 5 foot 11. I take my insulin by injection, I use Lantus and Humalog and am considering switching over to an insulin pump in the coming weeks. The only supplement I have purchased is Whey protein. My goal right now is a simple one. A small sized t shirt currently fits my tightly. I want a medium sized t shirt to fit me that tight in 6 months to a year or sooner if possible. I know this is a long post, but I really appreciate anything anyone can do to help me. Im also going to be starting a journal, not just about my gains in size and strength but with a focus on the effect this will have on my diabetes and blood glucose control for anyone else in the same situation.
    Same here man!

Keep me updated.
    ,___,
    [O.o]
    /)__)
    -"--"-Honor Your Life-Me.

"No Guts, No Glory,
    All Pain, And Fury!!!"-SLAYER. (Scrum)

"You don't have to be old to be wise."-Judas Priest

/|\ Inspiration to persevere.

brigettemv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Diabetes Research Centre

Hi, I'm not sure if you were aware but there is a diabetes research centre in Winnipeg where you can get special treatment and participate in studies. If you are interested the website address is winnipegdiabetesresearchgroup and it is based at the Health Sciences Centre.

Prime Minister of Canada. honor_your_life's Avatar
    honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500) honor_your_life is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by brigettemv View Post
    Hi, I'm not sure if you were aware but there is a diabetes research centre in Winnipeg where you can get special treatment and participate in studies. If you are interested the website address is winnipegdiabetesresearchgroup and it is based at the Health Sciences Centre.
    Thanks!
    ,___,
    [O.o]
    /)__)
    -"--"-Honor Your Life-Me.

"No Guts, No Glory,
    All Pain, And Fury!!!"-SLAYER. (Scrum)

"You don't have to be old to be wise."-Judas Priest

/|\ Inspiration to persevere.