Andre4000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rippetoe weight progression and calorie intake

I am reluctant to eat too many calories because my goals are to get as low as fat as possible while gaining a small amount of muscle. At 6'1'' and 187 pounds (probably around 17-20% body fat), I have been doing Rippetoes SS for about a month while eating probably around 2400-2800 calories a day.

The basic principle behind Rippetoes seems to be that steadily adding weight to the bar is the way to get muscular. So far I have been conservative and have steadily been able to add 5 lbs per workout for each exercise, but this could be due to the fact that I began the program using lighter weight than I probably could have. How much less should weight increases be on SS if someone eats at a calorie maintenance, or even deficit, rather than an excess?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It WILL affect it. You can only keep up the agressive progression curve of SS if you are growing muscle as fast as possible. So expect to stall a lot more often.

Having said that, a small calorie defecit will still yield results. If you can, try to position as many calories after your workout as possible - you don't need many beforehand and you can also eat less on non workout days. Keep up a high protein intake though.

StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10) StLRPh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You should still be able to make progress towards gaining strength. Probably not as much as you would if you were eating a ton. You could also consider using micro-loads as the weights get higher and once you've stalled a few times going to a different progam that could be better suited to your goals. Wendler's 5/3/1 with the "Moving North of the Vag" accessory work could be a pretty good option after SS.

LB3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LB3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LB3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LB3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LB3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LB3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LB3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LB3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LB3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LB3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LB3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Andre4000 View Post
    The basic principle behind Rippetoes seems to be that steadily adding weight to the bar is the way to get muscular. So far I have been conservative and have steadily been able to add 5 lbs per workout for each exercise, but this could be due to the fact that I began the program using lighter weight than I probably could have. How much less should weight increases be on SS if someone eats at a calorie maintenance, or even deficit, rather than an excess?
    The principle is strength gains until linear progression is exhausted. NOT to be muscular as a priority. At maintenance or deficit prepare to have progression exhausted very, very quickly.

If you are looking to drop bodyfat don't bother with Rippetoes program imo.

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Andre4000 View Post
    The basic principle behind Rippetoes seems to be that steadily adding weight to the bar is the way to get muscular.
    that's not the basic principle at all. where'd you get that from?

the purpose is to gain strength.

and you can easily gain strength without excess calories, at least at the start. because the biggest initial strength gains come from neural adaptations and improving techinque.

at some point, though, you need the calories to drive muscle gain, for the sole purpose of driving more weight.

i have no idea if body fat will be used as a fuel source that can drive gains. i suppose that is your real question.