Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I luv Demi Lovato! U mad? Skullaway's Avatar
    Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

What would happen if you stopped lifting weights?

How long would it take to lose the muscle that makes you look like you lift weights?

Is it even possible to lose all the extra muscle from years of weight training?

What would happen?

Anyone know anything about this?

I am curious cause I have been reading about other people trying to increase performance in other sports by weighing less by becoming less muscular.

dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmger14 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Skullaway View Post
    How long would it take to lose the muscle that makes you look like you lift weights?

What would happen?

I am curious cause I have been reading about other people trying to increase performance in other sports by weighing less by becoming less muscular.
    As Mike Tyson said, "I'd probly fade into bolivian." Actually, I know from experience what happens. You slowly lose muscle, and depending on your diet, gain some fat or not. Either way, you get softer. If you're built well, it will last longer, and even after years you're likely to look better than someone who hasn't lifted. Muscle memory will bring it back quicker than those who never lifted, however. That's my take on it...
    It is physically impossible to achieve molecular dislocation with a smile on your face.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You will surely die.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by dbx View Post
    You will surely die.
    ^^ This. Death is instantaneous.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by dmger14 View Post
    As Mike Tyson said, "I'd probly fade into bolivian."
    LOL! Tyson had some GREAT quotes in his time, but this one is my favorite!
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by dbx View Post
    You will surely die.
    ^^^ That!

Once you start lifting weights, you are doomed to continue, or face terrible consequences. A person who stops lifting will become even smaller and weaker than someone who has never touched a weight! You will eventually begin to look like Kate Moss, and sound like Pee-Wee Herman. Your testicles will fall off, and you will become so weak, you will hardly be able to get out of bed, or lift a donut to your mouth. Your skin will droop and hang like curtains without the muscle to hold it up. You will start slouching and walking like Steve Urkel, and women will flee from you in terror. Money will mysteriously evaporate from your pocket, and you will become impotent, senile and develop hemorrhoids.

So get your butt to the gym before it's too late! The supplement companies are depending on you, so, do your part to stimulate this weak economy! And somewhere out there's a hot chick in a gym skirt with your name tattooed on her left breast! Don't be a quitter, 'cause quitters always lose and winners never finish last..... or something like that.
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    LOL! Tyson had some GREAT quotes in his time, but this one is my favorite!
    My fav: "I don't hate women; my mother was a woman."
    David

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    My fav: "I don't hate women; my mother was a woman."
    LOL! Here's another good one:

"If they lock me up, at least I'll have a place to stay."
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This is the opposite of asking how long it would take to gain enough muscle so that you look like you lifts weights.

And the answer is about the same: IT DEPENDS.

It depends on how well you eat and what you do with your life/body once you stop training, how far you got while you were training, your genetics, etc. etc. Too many variables to list.

But as someone that was quite serious about bodybuilding at one point then dropped out of the sport altogether after more than 16 years, I can say this:

For some period of time after you stop, people will look at you and assume you still train. They'll think or say "Oh, you must work out."

Then for another period of time after you stop, people will know you trained but wonder if you still do. They'll think or say "Do you still workout?"

Then lastly, for some period of time they may recognize that at some point you probably were in good shape, but that you let yourself go. They'll think or say "At some point he must've worked out."

Then at some point you'll just look like everyone else and no one will think anything, nor will they care.

How long in duration each one of the above lasts is again predicated on too many variables.

For me, even though I was (am) a fat bastard before I started training again in January people could still recognize that (despite the big beer belly) at some point I was in decent shape, even though I hadn't lifted anything heavier than 12 ounces in almost seven years.

But I chalk that up to having very dense muscle built up over a long period of time that stubbornly did not want to go away, and I doubt that will be the case for everyone. I also continued to eat rather well for someone that was not working out, by continuing to stay away from junk food, sweets, fast food, and eating lots of protein. Except for the beer, my body was still a temple.

Anyway, that's my $0.02

-=FLEX=-
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Well, I would go from THIS to THIS in about 5 months! I'd gain back 37 pounds on the scale and loose my muscle. Basically the reverse of what I've accomplished!

Last edited by acwild; 03-16-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    When was the last time you saw Dorian Yates or Shawn Ray without a shirt?

groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250) groink has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    LOL! Here's another good one:

"If they lock me up, at least I'll have a place to stay."
    I always liked ...... " Everyone has a plan...until they get punched in the face."
    If you never get OUT of it.....you'll never have to "get back into it"

ghvy1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghvy1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghvy1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghvy1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghvy1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghvy1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghvy1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghvy1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghvy1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghvy1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghvy1122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Funny how this topic suddenly surfaces at a time in my life that I'm just getting back into lifting after almost a two month hiatus having been consistent over the past 6 years.. lol.

From my experience - I notice a reduction in muscle size/hardness in the first few weeks. It tapored off, than after just over a month I could really tell the difference, although I could see where the average Joe would probably assume I still lift weights. I think more of it was in my head more than anything physical.

I was actually quite surprised as I kept alot of my chest mass. The most noticeable difference was in my arms.

However, after having just started lifting again last weekend, I was a bit dissapointed and surprised at the same time. I was dissapointed in my loss of strength (which was to be expected), but surprised at the strength I still had. I hope that makes sense.

At the moment I'm suffering almost severe doms.

Anyway - just my .02.

GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When the cyst in my brain ruptured I was actually went through this. At first they thought it may have been an aneurysim and the saying "Lift 'till ya die!!" suddenly takes on a new meaning when it is presented to you as a realistic possibility... Anyway I was lost for that 6 months. I thought about getting back into Mtb'ing, buying a dirt bike, hiking, even playing soccer again but nothing did it. I lost 20lbs, I once just sat in a squat rack when no one was there and moped like a teenage emo kid that was just grounded from his cell phone...it was horrible. My wife told me later she hated seeing me go through it. Hopefully it will never happen again.
    Gnomefit...ain't for everybody, only the sexy people.

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had a neck injury a year ago and surgery last May. I didn't touch a weight for 6+ months. I lost a lot more muscle mass than I realized I would and I also gained a lot of body fat but because I just decided to ignore my diet for that time and just become a "normal" person for the summer. However I never took my shirt off and felt, and was, very, very small.

However thanks to muscle memory I have regained much of my muscle mass and with a strict diet the last few months I have cleaned up my act and made the transformation where I now have a slight 6 pack (in the right light).

While away from the gym I just tried to enjoy the spare time and tried to do a bit more fishing, etc. Things I often don't have time for when I'm always in the gym.

I know that if I take some time off I can get it back again a lot faster than it was required to get it the first time.

My BodySpace has photos of my transformation and I hope to post new pics this weekend showing my final results...
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jsmircich View Post
    I get "skinny fat." My clothes would still fit, but in a whole new way

I get fat-fat. My clothes no longer fit...at all. Of course diet goes all to hell when I stop lifting. Guess I better keep lifting.

I just donated 6 full size garbage bags full of "big" clothes to the Goodwill. Estimated value, about 600.00 dollars. I went from XXl shirts down to L. I went from 44 inch pants down to 34. Hopefully the shirt sizes won't get any smaller, while I hope the pants do.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have a friend who used to lift a lot, he was a beast at 6'1" probably 225, low body fat. He eventually got married, quit working out. Nowadays, he's around 280, looks like he's ready to give birth he's gained so much weight. He's still a big strong dude but compared to how he WAS, he's a ghost of his former self.

Bill Pearl wrote that you typically lose 5% of your strength every 72 hours you go without doing any kind of exercise. I tend to think he's pretty right on with that. If I miss a week of working out, I'm lucky if I can match that previous week at all in terms of poundage. My strength definitely goes downhill fast. For others it might not be as bad.

So DON'T STOP LIFTING! Even if it's 2 out of your normal 5 sets of something, and even if it's at half the weight, it's better than skipping a workout entirely. I've made the mistake of letting sickness sideline me for too long and it's a bitch to come back from a long layoff.

shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My brother was a competitive bodybuilder in the mid 80's, top 3 in UK and highly placed in European Champs in 86. He gave up competition(too much drugs in the sport for him) and continued to train consistently upto the mid 90's when he sort of let it go due to work/life commitments.

He didn't lose a tremendous amount of muscle initially in the first few years off; to the point where people he hadn't seen in years would say 'you training as hard as ever I suppose'?

Then he had point around late 90's where he trained seriously for a couple of years again and got into as good shape as his competitive years. After this he gave up completely (I know he's an enigma!) and hasn't trained in over 10 years.

He still maintains large chest/back to the point where it once looked like he seriously trained and has put on a few inches of belly but his 19" arms are now about 14 or 15 inch and his shoulders are all but gone! He kept his thick neck He actually looks out of proportion. T-rex I call him!

He has kept a fair amount of muscle in his legs (lost about 5 inches he says!) but ironically the calves he fought so hard to gain (we have poor calf genetics!) have stayed virtually the same if not better than his competitive years.

I'm trying to convince him to get back into it, he's only in his late 40's! Strangely enough I only started training in the past 18 months or so but have been around bodybuilding and training all my life, just was into other sports back then.

I still knew more about training when I was 11 than your average PT does these days....that was thanks to my brother constantly talking about bulking and cutting and periodization and drop sets and leaving his bloody training books and notes and diaries all over the place, oh yeah and who could forget his 12 raw eggs for breakfast...it was hard not to ignore it! It was annoying back then. I thank him for it now. I still cant believe how much work the dick-head had to put in to get his calves; I'm seeing the trouble they were now though!

gkrane is on a distinguished road. (+10) gkrane is on a distinguished road. (+10) gkrane is on a distinguished road. (+10) gkrane is on a distinguished road. (+10) gkrane is on a distinguished road. (+10) gkrane is on a distinguished road. (+10) gkrane is on a distinguished road. (+10) gkrane is on a distinguished road. (+10) gkrane is on a distinguished road. (+10) gkrane is on a distinguished road. (+10) gkrane is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by groink View Post
    I always liked ...... " Everyone has a plan...until they get punched in the face."
    My personal favorite as well.

LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LanePianoMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Taking time off or stopping lifting?

I'm not planning on finding out what would happen to me. I've maintained an above average body throughout the years by lifting, even though I've neglecting the crucial diet part of the equation.

So now that my diet has been corrected, I'm looking forward to optimal results. The last thing on my mind is to stop working out - I'm sure I'd look either fat, or skinny fat or just plain squishy all over. No thanks!

LPM
    "Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy. It is the wine of a new procreation, and I am Bacchus who presses out this glorious wine for men and makes them drunk with the spirit."

Beethoven

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Rdez View Post
    Bill Pearl wrote that you typically lose 5% of your strength every 72 hours you go without doing any kind of exercise. I tend to think he's pretty right on with that. If I miss a week of working out, I'm lucky if I can match that previous week at all in terms of poundage. My strength definitely goes downhill fast. For others it might not be as bad.
    Not trying to split hairs, but the OP asked about LOOKS, not strength. No question strength will go before size for anyone that has trained to any degree of seriousness once they stop. Size is a different story.

Originally Posted by shamardal View Post
    He has kept a fair amount of muscle in his legs (lost about 5 inches he says!) but ironically the calves he fought so hard to gain (we have poor calf genetics!) have stayed virtually the same if not better than his competitive years.
    I found the same thing; the muscles it took the hardest to grow, stayed the longest. For me that was my back, quads, and calves. My chest, arms and shoulders, which were easiest for me to grow, suffered the worst.

-=FLEX=-
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50) shamardal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by FLEXjs View Post
    Not trying to split hairs, but the OP asked about LOOKS, not strength. No question strength will go before size for anyone that has trained to any degree of seriousness once they stop. Size is a different story.

I found the same thing; the muscles it took the hardest to grow, stayed the longest. For me that was my back, quads, and calves. My chest, arms and shoulders, which were easiest for me to grow, suffered the worst.

-=FLEX=-
    Yep, sounds about right, It's worth persisting with the pain of growing the hard parts, even though you'd curse them to the high heavens most of the time! Keep up the good work!

Smolovian apprentice mharrislove's Avatar
    mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You will save major $$$ from no longer being compelled to buy supps...

You will get around to writing that novel that has lingered in the back of your mind for years since you won't be BodySpacin' anymore...

...and you will no longer be driven to a molten rage by guys curling in the squat rack and PX90 clowns floppin' all over the weight benches.

But, your mortal soul will atrophy like a daisy trapped in a discarded meat locker.

It's your call, dude.
    "First train the mind, then the body."

Made from all-natural products since 1968...no gear, no HRT, no prohormones.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    ^^ This. Death is instantaneous.
    you will first shrivel like a dried prune,your nuts also will dry up and look like golden raisins

then.. you die
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

I luv Demi Lovato! U mad? Skullaway's Avatar
    Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Skullaway has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Smile

Thanks everyone. There are some interesting stories that you posted. More reps when I recharge.

clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

What would happen?

Look at Arnold Schwarzenegger these days!
    Tennis balls?...........my Biceps are as big as Grapefruits!

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by clive View Post
    Look at Arnold Schwarzenegger these days!
    He'll be back!!!
    David

Older But Getting Better Old Bob's Avatar
    Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dmger14 View Post
    Actually, I know from experience what happens. You slowly lose muscle, and depending on your diet, gain some fat or not. Either way, you get softer. If you're built well, it will last longer, and even after years you're likely to look better than someone who hasn't lifted. Muscle memory will bring it back quicker than those who never lifted, however. That's my take on it...
    I am living proof that you're right.

I used to be pretty big mostly from recreational weight lifting and hard work.

At about age 45 I lost interest in muscle and basically vegetated for 10 years. I was very active but no weight training or hard physical exercise.

I lost a fair amount of muscle mass and got soft.

Three years ago at age 55 I got sick of looking old and fat and went back to the gym and starting getting serious about leaning down and adding muscle.

It's taken about three years the last two of which I was very consistent but I'm getting about as big as I ever was and leaning down rapidly now that I'm confident that I won't look scrawny as the fat melts away...

Muscle memory was a huge help with me according to my trainers and I think they're right on the money. There aren't many guys around this town that are my age in nearly my shape and I see a LOT of people.

I advise never quitting if you can help it though. It's VERY HARD to come back after going backwards for several years.

Old Bob
    Getting Old Ain't For Sissys... ;)

Eat to Live... Don't Live to Eat!!!

1951 Body by Gold's Gym and a LOT of Blood, Sweat, and Tears...

Older But Getting Better Old Bob's Avatar
    Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    He'll be back!!!
    I honestly think you're right... The last few interviews I saw with him, it seemed that he was getting that indomitable look in his eye again. His current term will expire on January 3, 2011 and I look for him to start making movies shortly after that if he doesn't continue in politics.

Old Bob
    Getting Old Ain't For Sissys... ;)

Eat to Live... Don't Live to Eat!!!

1951 Body by Gold's Gym and a LOT of Blood, Sweat, and Tears...

Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

What would happen?

You would go from a size xxxxx to a small.