Dazza89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to improve my workout routine?

Hey people, I've been on a sort of bulking routine for the past 4 weeks, with the 2 weeks before that being light weights warm-up sessions. When I started I weighed about 155-160 and am 6ft1 in height. I've been eating strictly 3000-4000 calories a day and get roughly 100-150g's of protein a day too. So far this is my routine, it is this because I go with 2 friends after uni 3 days a week, so it's convenient for us to follow the same routine and spot eachother.

Monday ; Chest/Tris
    Flat Bench Machine warm-up (4sets x 5reps)
    Flat Bench Press Barbell (4 sets x 4-5 reps)
    Incline Bench Press Barbell (4 sets x 4-5 reps)
    Flat Bench Press Dumbells (3 sets x 5-8 reps)
    Skull Crusher with EZ bar(4 sets 4-6 reps)
    Close grip bench press with EZ bar straight after skullcrusher set (to failure)

Wednesday ; Shoulders/Bis/Back
    EZ bar bicep curls (4 sets x 4-6 reps)
    Overhead Press (4 sets 4-6 reps)
    Pendley Rows (4 sets 4-6 reps)
    Barbell Shrugs
    Abs and Pull-ups

Friday ; Repeat of Monday's workout

So as you can see it's kind of like Starting Strength except Chest/Tris never alternate and always happen on Monday and Friday. Now theres a few problems with this I know ~ no leg days. I understand that, and that's being incorporated soon, and another problem ~ no deadlifts!! on a bulking program I understand it's vital. So here's where I ask for you guys help. I really don't want to change the 3 day a week routine as it's working well, I don't really want to change the Monday and Friday set-up either because chest gains are going great! However, I noticed the wednesday session isn't really doing much for my shoulders and arms and I feel they havent grown as much in this month as my chest.

Basically, you guys are the pro's so can you advise me on what days to add deadlift and squats, and any other exercises I should throw in, and what to do about the wednesday session, or just keep the routine how it is?

Cheers guys
    Last edited by Dazza89; 03-16-2010 at 07:24 AM.

Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That's nothing like SS. No offense, but it's not comparable at all.

Look, considering your stats and goals, I would actually advise you to follow SS. That will fix a lot of your problems.

Your routine has a few issues: way too much benching, only 4 sets for back, no legs (which you've mentioned)...the list goes on. Stick to a basic, proven program.

Dazza89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Inertiatic View Post
    That's nothing like SS. No offense, but it's not comparable at all.

Look, considering your stats and goals, I would actually advise you to follow SS. That will fix a lot of your problems.

Your routine has a few issues: way too much benching, only 4 sets for back, no legs (which you've mentioned)...the list goes on. Stick to a basic, proven program.
    Hey man, appreciate the advice, however I'ma raise a couple issues.
    If this workout is working for me, which it is, and quite nicely, is it wise to change it all up? Essentially, if I add deadlifts, it is pretty similar to SS and squats arn't as vital for me for adding weight as I train boxing also and adding too much weight to my thighs could take me into a weight class I'd rather not go, atm I'm just trying to get some decent upper body mass.

Thanks anyway, I'll read into SS again, though really I'm hitting all the compounds bar from deadlift that I need to I guess...

djh0mer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djh0mer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djh0mer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djh0mer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djh0mer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) djh0mer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    one major problem i see is that ur doing the same routine over and over again and ur not switching up the exercsises's and shocking ur muscle in order to make them grown, its ok to stick to the chest and tri's routine and do the same exercisies for a week or 2 but i want to switch it up and shock ur muscle such as if u bench for 2 weeks then switch it up to dumb bell press or machine press, also like u've said u must do legs! and i would also break up the shoulders back and bi's day ur working to many muscle groups out in 1 day u really only want to workout 2 muscle groups per day. bc on that day ur not hitting enough exercisises for all 3 of the muscle groups, i would try to do 3-4 sets per muscle group with anywhere from 6-12 reps. drop setting is also very helpful it allows u push hard and get that extra couple reps in helping tear ur muscles! u need to throw in deadlifts and squats theres no way around it, as for wendsday heres a suggestion do back and bi's, then dedicate a day to shoulders and traps and when u can u need to throw a leg day in there as well