johnnyboy832 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

machines vs. free weights/barbells

i'd like to know if there is a significant difference between specialized machines and freeweights for certain exercises.
    my gym partner has lower back pain so he says he cant rly do squats or deadlifts and the like. would it be horrible for our progress if we simply used machines instead (for example the leg press to replace squats)? i feel it would be rude of me to have him spot me while i do squats and deadlifts when he cant himself. what do u think?

the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000)
    1. It's not rude to ask him to spot you when he can't. You need a spot. He should provide you with one.
    2. Unless your friend has a diagnosed medical condition, his lower back pain is in reality him growing a vagina where his dick used to be. If he trains his core and continues to deadlift and squat, his back pain will be replaced by strength.
    3. There is a difference between machines and free weights. Under most circumstances, free weights are always the better choice, but there are exceptions where machines may be more effective. A problem with using machines is that you do not get input from stabilizer muscles which will help your aesthetic appearance and allow you to actually be stronger.
    @24HrTrainerNOLA
    -Jammin

Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rain50 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ask him if he's ok with it.

Free weights are definitely better than machines.. I can't go into why, but I know for a fact they are. Squats are very very important, so doing leg press/other exercises won't give as good results.. but it's one of the best substitutes for squats. Lower back pain is probably due to some mistake while lifting though.. so I wouldn't recommend switching lifts.. just tell him to rest.

Elff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Elff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by the1satanfears View Post
    1. It's not rude to ask him to spot you when he can't. You need a spot. He should provide you with one.
    2. Unless your friend has a diagnosed medical condition, his lower back pain is in reality him growing a vagina where his dick used to be. If he trains his core and continues to deadlift and squat, his back pain will be replaced by strength.
    Its fine to ask for a spot from him, but if he declines you shouldn't get upset with him.

You can't feel his pain, you can't say this.

HALTEH is just really nice. (+1000) HALTEH is just really nice. (+1000) HALTEH is just really nice. (+1000) HALTEH is just really nice. (+1000) HALTEH is just really nice. (+1000) HALTEH is just really nice. (+1000) HALTEH is just really nice. (+1000) HALTEH is just really nice. (+1000) HALTEH is just really nice. (+1000) HALTEH is just really nice. (+1000) HALTEH is just really nice. (+1000)
    A lot of people say "forget machines, free weights are way better" (which they are)

but machines shouldnt be completely ignored. Add a few of 'em in here and there. Ya never know, could help. But, your stabalizers and balance gets trained MUCH more when doing free weights, and in the end, will make your stronger.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars; glory lasts forever.

chance08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chance08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chance08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chance08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chance08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chance08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chance08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chance08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chance08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chance08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chance08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Elff View Post
    Its fine to ask for a spot from him, but if he declines you shouldn't get upset with him.

You can't feel his pain, you can't say this.
    I'd get mad... how fckin hard is it to spot someone?

ya ill ask him about it. i told him that squats etc. were better for the reasons u posted, but we'll c. and he had an incident a few years back in which his back was almost broken, thus the sensitivity. ya its prolly true that his back wouldn't hurt as much if he strengthed it.

mm alrighty thanks guys

BigJohnnyO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJohnnyO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJohnnyO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJohnnyO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJohnnyO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJohnnyO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJohnnyO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJohnnyO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJohnnyO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJohnnyO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJohnnyO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by the1satanfears View Post
    Under most circumstances, free weights are always the better choice, but there are exceptions where machines may be more effective. .
    What exercises do you consider more effective on machines than free weights?
    "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
    - General George S. Patton

"A narcissist is someone better looking than you are."
    - Gore Vidal

Originally Posted by chance08 View Post
    I'd get mad... how fckin hard is it to spot someone?
    ya true its not hard, but it would take away from his own workout time, you know?

n ya if he doesn't want to do it then ill get over it, find someone else who's there to spot.

nen78059 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nen78059 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nen78059 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nen78059 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nen78059 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nen78059 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nen78059 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nen78059 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nen78059 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nen78059 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nen78059 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As eeryone has said free weigths are better. Machines hold yuor body in a fixed postion putting up 315 on the hammer strength is not the same thing as putting up 315 for real. But machines can be helpful. I like machines or burns outs att eh end of my routines. I can also pyramid down quickly when needed
    F#kk yeah I rep back.

Originally Posted by nen78059 View Post
    As eeryone has said free weigths are better. Machines hold yuor body in a fixed postion putting up 315 on the hammer strength is not the same thing as putting up 315 for real. But machines can be helpful. I like machines or burns outs att eh end of my routines. I can also pyramid down quickly when needed
    true, true, and true lol

yochilllllllll will become famous soon enough. (+50) yochilllllllll will become famous soon enough. (+50) yochilllllllll will become famous soon enough. (+50) yochilllllllll will become famous soon enough. (+50) yochilllllllll will become famous soon enough. (+50) yochilllllllll will become famous soon enough. (+50) yochilllllllll will become famous soon enough. (+50) yochilllllllll will become famous soon enough. (+50) yochilllllllll will become famous soon enough. (+50) yochilllllllll will become famous soon enough. (+50) yochilllllllll will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by johnnyboy832 View Post
    i'd like to know if there is a significant difference between specialized machines and freeweights for certain exercises.
    my gym partner has lower back pain so he says he cant rly do squats or deadlifts and the like. would it be horrible for our progress if we simply used machines instead (for example the leg press to replace squats)? i feel it would be rude of me to have him spot me while i do squats and deadlifts when he cant himself. what do u think?
    If your friend has lower back pain he can probobally still do light weight deadlifts and squats, to atleast build some muscle. keep in mind i am NOT a doctor and he should consult his doctor about this before doing it. Anyways machines vs free weights, the way i see it is free weights build muscle and machines do nothing. Back when i was 15 and i got a membership i used to go into the gym and use nothing but machines. i did this for about an entire summer and ended up still doing the same weight on the machines as when i started. many people have said this before too that the gains from free weights are much better than the gains (if any) from machines.

Im not saying never to use them, they are good to use along with free weights, but i dont think youll get any gains from machines only.

bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Free weights are better. BUT...

If his pain is due to a lack of strength.. what better way to catch him up? Bust his ass on heavy leg press, heavy leg curls, heavy calf raises, and any kind of lower back exercise he can do without pain. I'd actually start him off with planks, just an all around good exercise.

Machines have their place. Some of the best gains I ever made were from a 'beyond failure' program I whipped up with machines.
    "Sa souvraya niende misain ye ... I am lost in my own mind"
    ― Robert Jordan, A Memory of Light

For he cannot read his tombstone when he’s dead.

_██_
    (ಠ_ృ)

Originally Posted by bmy- View Post
    Free weights are better. BUT...

If his pain is due to a lack of strength.. what better way to catch him up? Bust his ass on heavy leg press, heavy leg curls, heavy calf raises, and any kind of lower back exercise he can do without pain. I'd actually start him off with planks, just an all around good exercise.

Machines have their place. Some of the best gains I ever made were from a 'beyond failure' program I whipped up with machines.
    hmm well he's definitely not weak (in fact he's a good deal stronger than me) but ya ill see where he's at after he strengthens his back some

bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000) bmy- is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by johnnyboy832 View Post
    hmm well he's definitely not weak (in fact he's a good deal stronger than me) but ya ill see where he's at after he strengthens his back some
    my brother can't squat or do any variation of squatting.. except leg press. he had a nasty break on his femur when he was like 12. sucks ass.
    "Sa souvraya niende misain ye ... I am lost in my own mind"
    ― Robert Jordan, A Memory of Light

For he cannot read his tombstone when he’s dead.

_██_
    (ಠ_ృ)