GunnaBbuff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

whats a good diet for fat loss?

I am so confused about what my diet should be for fat loss. HIgh carb, low carb, the zone, blah blah.
    I have been on diet that is 75% carbs for about a month. It was successful but I have stalled losing. I thought Id get it going again and went a day with 4 carbs and couldnt pry myself up to workout so I had a protien shake with 25 carbs and it perked me right up to work out. The next day the scale did move.
    What percentage of carbs to protien should I do? I want to feel good and have the energy to work out, but really NEED to see the weight come off reasonably well.
    Also, I was wondering if no matter what diet you do, will your body adjust and plataeu? I am convinced my miserly fat holding body could last years on a desert island with no food. Is there a way to get around that, switching up plans when things slow. If so what plans do you switch to? Would going from low to higher carbs let you lose or gain?

I am walking 1 hr a day 70-75% max hr (first thing in the morn)
    & Stepping 40 mi a day 85%+ hr (evening)
    Weight training every other day

Thanks
    Mary Ellen

Bigbuffruss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Go keto

Eat less than 20 grams of carbs a day and you will be thin as a stick in no time. I used to be 217 now 187 in three months. Didn't stop lifting weights and cardio so I don think I lost too much muscle.

Ironically i am now trying to put weight on.

Kris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Where can I find more info on Keto...any books you can reccommend or websites?

I bought dr Atkins Book "New diet revolution". It has all the basics and do's and dont's. when I first read it I thought he was talking junk but boy was I wrong. you may need to taylor your keto diet to your paticular workout plan or you may run out of steam, go to the general nutrition board and give a call for Fitnessman
    "Master of the Keto"

Thanks,
    Ill look into keto, I just dropped 6lbs in 2 days lowering my carbs,I had plateaued for a week before that. Is it true you need fats to make it work?

Yep pref non saturated Ie olive oil, Flax seed etc. I am not sure why you need to keep the fat content up but i do know that if you don't your body just shuts down and your body goes into starvation mode. Also when you go into ketosis you dump water like a fire truck so you will see an initial rapid weight loss.

My best tip is to avoid any pure sugar, bread, pasta and potatoes.
    Read food labels
    Watch diet food they substitute the calls for carbs

Typical day
    10grm oatmeal 2 boiled eggs
    Cold cuts and salad (loads of newmans)
    Monster stake veg (no root veg)
    I protein supplement between meals now I am working my but
    after been on keto for a couple of months its hard to eat a lot.

I hit a plateau but If you have a binge day it kind of resets your metab and of you go again.

Good luck

fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The reason the diet is high in fat is because that is what is used for fuel. After about 48hrs on the diet the metabolism shifts to a fat for fuel one, stored or dietary.

This is why low carb/low fat diets cannot work. In the absense of glycogen/glucose and fat, the body has no choice but to convert protien to fuel. This is bad. The body thinks its starving and will save stored fat and burn dietary protien or stored protien(muscle) for fuel. The stored fat will be saved due to the fact body likes to save stored fat as long as possible when in a near starvation state. So you can see, not a good thing.

One of the best books you read is; Protien power lifespan by Dr. Eades(husband and wife team) They cover alot more than even Atkins. Very good research on thier part. Still not quite for bodybuilders....We need even more protien and fat.

I eat any fats. There is really no need for "clean fats" on a ketogenic diet.

The biggest surprise most have is when they find out how much energy they have on a high fat diet. Fat is the preferred fuel for the brain, so once your metabolism shifts its a pleasant change.
    Psalm 121

Thanks,
    Ill get the book and check it out.

Mary Ellen

Registered User CR best trainer's Avatar
    CR best trainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Whats a good diet?

I think I would try and turn you a kittle bit in a different direction than the Eads or Atkins as they are not writing the books for bodybuilders or serious gym worshippers. Two authers that are more direct to what you need are: The Metabolic Diet, by Mauro Di Pasquale you can check this out at www.AllProTraining.com. Another good read is a book called Power Eating, by Susan M Kleiner. This book is written more along the lines of carb cycling. This is very important for females, but also works well for men as it conditions the body to peak for shows if you ever plan to compete, or just what to look absolutely marvelous on the weekends. Good dieting!

Johns900 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johns900 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johns900 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johns900 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johns900 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johns900 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johns900 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johns900 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johns900 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johns900 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johns900 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by fitnessman View Post
    The reason the diet is high in fat is because that is what is used for fuel. After about 48hrs on the diet the metabolism shifts to a fat for fuel one, stored or dietary.

This is why low carb/low fat diets cannot work. In the absense of glycogen/glucose and fat, the body has no choice but to convert protien to fuel. This is bad. The body thinks its starving and will save stored fat and burn dietary protien or stored protien(muscle) for fuel. The stored fat will be saved due to the fact body likes to save stored fat as long as possible when in a near starvation state. So you can see, not a good thing.

One of the best books you read is; Protien power lifespan by Dr. Eades(husband and wife team) They cover alot more than even Atkins. Very good research on thier part. Still not quite for bodybuilders....We need even more protien and fat.

I eat any fats. There is really no need for "clean fats" on a ketogenic diet.

The biggest surprise most have is when they find out how much energy they have on a high fat diet. Fat is the preferred fuel for the brain, so once your metabolism shifts its a pleasant change.
    I think this is the best advice ever. Thanks for that. I don't know why most of the time people always go nuts over this issue, which to me is a simply thing to understand and apply.

andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    strong ass bump. what did you search for to even find this thread?
    Originally Posted by Johns900 View Post
    I think this is the best advice ever. Thanks for that. I don't know why most of the time people always go nuts over this issue, which to me is a simply thing to understand and apply.