IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Upper Quad Pain while Squatting?

I've been doing squats for a while now, and going heavy on them is something I always do (never more than 6 reps per set). I changed my routine recently however from a high volume 3x a week full body routine to Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Routine, and I'm noticing a pain in my upper right quad whenever I do squats. I can do other leg exercises just fine. The pain doesn't just happen while going heavy, just doing bodyweight squats will cause it. I didn't do warm ups before I started this new routine, but I started to do 4 sets of light warm ups for squats when I switched to this routine followed by 3 heavy sets of 6 reps. I've had my form checked by a personal trainer and I set up a mirror to check my form constantly so I don't think that's the problem. What could be causing this?

buckeye7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buckeye7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buckeye7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buckeye7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buckeye7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buckeye7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buckeye7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buckeye7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buckeye7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buckeye7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buckeye7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by IronTerminator View Post
    I've been doing squats for a while now, and going heavy on them is something I always do (never more than 6 reps per set). I changed my routine recently however from a high volume 3x a week full body routine to Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Routine, and I'm noticing a pain in my upper right quad whenever I do squats. I can do other leg exercises just fine. The pain doesn't just happen while going heavy, just doing bodyweight squats will cause it. I didn't do warm ups before I started this new routine, but I started to do 4 sets of light warm ups for squats when I switched to this routine followed by 3 heavy sets of 6 reps. I've had my form checked by a personal trainer and I set up a mirror to check my form constantly so I don't think that's the problem. What could be causing this?

Hey man, I have the same problem I think. Mine is a painful burning sensation whenever I lower into the bottom movement. If you keep your legs closer together rather than allowing them to flare out, that is when it's most painful. I dont know which muscle this is, but I know it's one of them. It's either a strain or a tear so I was told to lay off on doing any movement involved (squat, leg press, etc.) I'd advise the same to you...don't want to cause permanent damage

IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by buckeye7 View Post
    Hey man, I have the same problem I think. Mine is a painful burning sensation whenever I lower into the bottom movement. If you keep your legs closer together rather than allowing them to flare out, that is when it's most painful. I dont know which muscle this is, but I know it's one of them. It's either a strain or a tear so I was told to lay off on doing any movement involved (squat, leg press, etc.) I'd advise the same to you...don't want to cause permanent damage
    I actually notice the opposite, when I keep my legs closer the pain is actually slightly better. Also, it's not so much of a burning sensation as it is a "contracting" sort of pain if that makes sense.

Real World Boxing Advice djartek's Avatar
    djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Most likely tight hip flexors, and or not utilizing your glutes when you are coming out of the hole. I would suggest some mobility and flexibility drills as well as some glute activation drills as well before you squat.
    Here are a couple of sample vids on youtube:

Youtube.com/PalacBoxing
    I'll answer your boxing and combat questions. Just PM me
    "Patience, persistence, determination, and an unstoppable drive to be better than yesterday."

rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50) rivet0r will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by djartek View Post
    Most likely tight hip flexors, and or not utilizing your glutes when you are coming out of the hole. I would suggest some mobility and flexibility drills as well as some glute activation drills as well before you squat.

Great post. Was going to say the exact same thing as I've experienced this as well.

Originally Posted by djartek View Post

I actually spent 20 minutes stretching pretty much before I read this post and when I did my workout the pain was almost gone when I did my workout. Thanks for the awesome example vids, repped.

Real World Boxing Advice djartek's Avatar
    djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by IronTerminator View Post
    I actually spent 20 minutes stretching pretty much before I read this post and when I did my workout the pain was almost gone when I did my workout. Thanks for the awesome example vids, repped.
    There are a lot of articles on T-Nation about the importance of hip mobility. Also don't forget to check the related videos in the youtube videos, there is a lot more then what I just posted.
    What type of shoes are you guys wearing when you squat?? This can play a big part in your pains as well.
    Youtube.com/PalacBoxing
    I'll answer your boxing and combat questions. Just PM me
    "Patience, persistence, determination, and an unstoppable drive to be better than yesterday."

norecha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) norecha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) norecha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) norecha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) norecha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) norecha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) norecha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) norecha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) norecha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) norecha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) norecha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    oh this cant be coincidence, I started to have upper quad pain exactly after switching to Lyle Mcdonalds bulk program. I used to do 5x5, with 4 working set, last set max rep. I didn't have any problem. Now I do 2 warmup sets, 1 with empty bar, 1 with 25 plate of 15 reps and warmups have worst pain. And weights are not as high as 5x5 ones.

I wonder why switching to this program caused this issue? Any ideas?