Thread: Shin splints

Andy44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shin splints

I'm trying to loose fat by running everyday, either outdoors or on the treadmill.
    I go to the gym for lifting 3 days a week, and I run for 30 minutes after my workout, and the other three days I try to run outside for about 45-60 minutes. The only problem is, after I run for about 5 minutes, I get really bad pain in my shins, and it doesn't allow me to continue running or even walking. I'm guessing its from shin splints. I'm wearing Nike Shocks sneakers, I think those are for running so It cant be the shoes. On the days when I'm at the gym and I can no longer walk, I go on the bike for the rest of the time. But I would really like to run outside without the pain, is there any way to deal with this?

ryan2921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryan2921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryan2921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryan2921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryan2921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryan2921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryan2921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryan2921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryan2921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryan2921 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ryan2921 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yup i had shin splints as well...the only thing that actually took care of it was gettin orthotics made. they aren't cheap but they took care of my pain

BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    you more than likely overpronate, just like i do. very flat feet, no arch. your options are orthotics or motion control shoes. I went the motion control route, and my shin splints have not reared their faces for a bit now. two thumbs up for the asics gel evolution 5
    "lady who goes fishing with men, comes back with red snapper" ~ Walt Whitman, 1986

★★ Blast it With Piss Crew ★★

♋ Mods close my wat do threads Crew ♋

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
    I'm trying to loose fat by running everyday, either outdoors or on the treadmill.
    I go to the gym for lifting 3 days a week, and I run for 30 minutes after my workout, and the other three days I try to run outside for about 45-60 minutes. The only problem is, after I run for about 5 minutes, I get really bad pain in my shins, and it doesn't allow me to continue running or even walking. I'm guessing its from shin splints. I'm wearing Nike Shocks sneakers, I think those are for running so It cant be the shoes. On the days when I'm at the gym and I can no longer walk, I go on the bike for the rest of the time. But I would really like to run outside without the pain, is there any way to deal with this?
    Post your diet for me.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

And Granddaughter 1-6-13 live4gs's Avatar
    live4gs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) live4gs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) live4gs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) live4gs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) live4gs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) live4gs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) live4gs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) live4gs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) live4gs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) live4gs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) live4gs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Stretch

I get them all the time. Only thing that helps (a little) is to stretch. Check the web for stretching the shins.

Unbreakabler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Unbreakabler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Unbreakabler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Unbreakabler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I used to get shin splits after every run. I started doing some simple exercises for the muscles located around your shins, took a month off of running and now I don't get them at all anymore.

Registered User RealMenDeadLift's Avatar
    RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000)
    First of all it is LOSE, mother ****ing L-O-S-E

Second, exercise your dorsiflexors

bijalpanwala is on a distinguished road. (+10) bijalpanwala is on a distinguished road. (+10) bijalpanwala is on a distinguished road. (+10) bijalpanwala is on a distinguished road. (+10) bijalpanwala is on a distinguished road. (+10) bijalpanwala is on a distinguished road. (+10) bijalpanwala is on a distinguished road. (+10) bijalpanwala is on a distinguished road. (+10) bijalpanwala is on a distinguished road. (+10) bijalpanwala is on a distinguished road. (+10) bijalpanwala is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i use to get that when i started using treadmills more often. My shins would burn and hurt after a few mins. I no longer have this problem, I suggest streaching your legs and rotation your feet to loosing it up. As you legs get looser you should stop having that problem. That what I've done and no longer what this problem.
    Call me Megatron cuz I'm transforming!

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So far nobody has posted what cured my shin splints =/ I know what did but there's a reason I asked the OP's diet.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

RogueSatchmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueSatchmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueSatchmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueSatchmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueSatchmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueSatchmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueSatchmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueSatchmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueSatchmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueSatchmo will become famous soon enough. (+50) RogueSatchmo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For me, they simply went away. I'm going to say that as your body adjusts to the new muscles and strain, the pain will go away
    The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion.

What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? Romans 8:31

Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    how about take a week or two off, your muscles aren't used to running every day.

Also make sure your feet are landing correctly when your running. You also need to be running on your toes and not pounding your heels against the ground.

Lastly strengthen your calves.

Diet? if it was cramps I'd say potassium, but its not.
    EBOL/CBOL/Bioforge log (completed):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=446424971&posted=1#post446424971

Sponsored Magnum Heat Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=470962551#post470962551

Kryzec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kryzec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kryzec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kryzec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kryzec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kryzec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kryzec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kryzec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kryzec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kryzec will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kryzec will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by th3pwn3r View Post
    So far nobody has posted what cured my shin splints =/ I know what did but there's a reason I asked the OP's diet.
    Shin splint - ripped muscle fiber - high protein intake - repaired muscle fiber - goodbye shin splints?
    "Unhappiness does not arise from the way things are but rather from a difference in the way things are and the way we believe they should be."

Originally Posted by th3pwn3r View Post
    I haven't really started a diet yet. However, I got rid of all soda, candy, cookies, and other things with alot of sugar. Also got rid of pastas, rice, bread, etc. As far as protien, I take one shake after each workout (lifting), thats it, in addition I eat alot of steak, chicken, and fish. I work at my fathers restaurant about 10 hours a day, so Im trying to figure out what food I should ask the cooks to make. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks for all the other replies.

mira has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mira has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mira has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mira has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mira has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mira has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mira has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mira has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mira has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mira has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mira has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am a runner myself and when i first started i had the WORST shin splints all the time. The best advice i could give ANYONE is to buy and read the book ChiRunning. best 10$ i EVER spent on my body. it will basically teach you the proper way to run....which also makes running easier and much MUCH less of an impact on your body.

another thing....nike shocks are not running shoes. they are actually horrible for running. i recommend something more like the nike lunarglide, or asics, etc. check out your local running store and ask them to get your feet fitted for the proper pair (by running store, i dont mean sports chalet. try and find a running specialty store).

take that advice and i promise ya shin splints will be a thing of the past. ive tried everything from RICE, Physical Therapy, compression socks, electro-stimulation....none worked. after reading that book i feel absolutely no pain while running.

happy running =)

Thanks for all the advice, I will check out that book and probably get some new shoes.

chud50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chud50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chud50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chud50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chud50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chud50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chud50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chud50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chud50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chud50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chud50 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    losing weight cured my shin splints. running at 220+ lbs. killed my shins... now i run just fine at 176 lbs.
    you're less than a drop in all the oceans, and god is laughing at your problems.

wrstlr152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wrstlr152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wrstlr152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wrstlr152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wrstlr152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wrstlr152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wrstlr152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wrstlr152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wrstlr152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wrstlr152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wrstlr152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Andy44 View Post
    getting orthotics will help and going to a store that sells nothing but running shoes will help you out also.. they will examine your foot watch you run and figure out what type of shoe you'll need. its not cheap but it definitely helped me when i was running everyday.