nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

good goals for novices?

hey guys,i just started lifting seriously about 3-4 monthes ago.anyways,i was curious about what you guys think good goals would be for my big 3 lifts by november.i havent done bench press before(due to shoulder issues,but theyre feeling good enough now where i think i can start),nor have i deadlifted before(dont really have a reason for this,lol,but ive been doing alot of other posterior chain stuff like romanian deadlifts,glute ham raises,etc.),and i want to start.my max squat is about 220-225,and ive hit 200 for 4 reps before.anyways,i want be able to squat 315 for a few reps hopefully,and im thinking that 185 for about 5-8 reps on the bench would also be good goal.do these sound good?and what about a deadlift goal,im not too sure about what that should be.im planning to bulk up to around 175ish by november too,if that helps you guys.anyways,i would love any suggestions/anecdotes you guys can throw out for me.thank you in advance

Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gitt66 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The #s I see thrown around a lot are after 1 year of serious lifting, your 1-rep maxes should AT LEAST be:

135 OHP
    225 bench
    315 Squat
    405 Deadlift

Obviously these are all relative and your progression is much more important than hitting these #s, but they can be just some general goals to shoot for.
    "Breathe into your balls and follow your heart."

Current Total : 1050
    Bench: 240, Squat: 355, Deadlift: 455

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Gitt66 View Post
    The #s I see thrown around a lot are after 1 year of serious lifting, your 1-rep maxes should AT LEAST be:

135 OHP
    225 bench
    315 Squat
    405 Deadlift

Obviously these are all relative and your progression is much more important than hitting these #s, but they can be just some general goals to shoot for.
    i must be really f*ckin' up b/c my big 3 are: ???(never max on bench)/335/385 and i've been at it for over 2 years lol.

OP, it will also depend on a lot on what your goals are and what your body weight is. if you spend a year just maintaining weight, you wouldn't expect to make as hardcore gains as if you'd just added mass for a year. i've spent no less than half of the past 2.5 years cutting/maintaining weight, so my lifts don't reflect that of someone who's focused on gaining weight for a couple years. my biggest indication of progress is comparing my level of bodyfat to the last time i weighed a certain amount, as well as comparing the amount i can lift at this current bodyweight compared to the last time i weighed this much.

ex: last time i weighed 170 lbs i could not do full squat reps of 10 with 115 lbs, i can now do them with 245 lbs. i also couldn't do a single pull up or chin up at this weight, now i can easily knock out bw sets of 12-15 (while in fatty mode) as well as repping out with weighted sets. that is progress that a lot of people forget to look at.
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Bellpolo08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Your goals should be steady progress from week to week and not getting stuck at a weight, or a number of reps. If you can do one more rep this week than you did last week, or 5 more pounds this week than you did last week, then you're doing well. Don't shoot for specific weight numbers or compare yourself to other people, because you just get discouraged. Just keep making progress.

nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nb19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for the responses guys.but ya,dont worry about me getting discouraged or anything,because i definetely wont.im just curious,and trying to gain a little more information is all.any more numbers you guys can throw out there for me though?

jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jolanar1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Bellpolo08 View Post
    Your goals should be steady progress from week to week and not getting stuck at a weight, or a number of reps. If you can do one more rep this week than you did last week, or 5 more pounds this week than you did last week, then you're doing well. Don't shoot for specific weight numbers or compare yourself to other people, because you just get discouraged. Just keep making progress.
    Agree with this. When you start comparing yourself to other people it's pretty much all downhill from there.

shreyomega has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for these advising tips specially for newbies. I am also a newbie and will try to follow all the tips.

Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500) Canadienbakon is not very helpful. (-500)
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

All you need to know ^^.

However, as others have said, you should focus on your progression.
    Start/Current/Goal:

Weight: 145/190/205
    1RM Bench: 155/315/365
    1RM Squat: 235/405/495
    Dead-hang Pullups: 3/25/30
    Deadlift: 235/375/495

Stinnon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinnon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinnon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinnon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinnon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Focus on yourself and forget the rest