Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50)

To Shrug or not to shrug. That is the question

As Title says.

I love doing shrugs but sometimes I feel my middle back cops a flogging more than my traps at heavy weight and i have on the odd occasion needed a massage/chiro to get me sorted again.

Worth doing? or am I better off with another exercise for some Big 'ol Traps?

Barbell by the way with alternate grip.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Tiezto View Post
    As Title says.

I love doing shrugs but sometimes I feel my middle back cops a flogging more than my traps at heavy weight and i have on the odd occasion needed a massage/chiro to get me sorted again.

Worth doing? or am I better off with another exercise for some Big 'ol Traps?

Barbell by the way with alternate grip.
    There is no better exercise for the traps IMO.

I think alternate grip is a bad idea outside of training deadlifts. Use straps.

The problem right now is at 6'6" 160lbs you're essentially a skeleton. Focus on warming up properly, check your ego at the door and keep shrugs very strict (don't use your legs and hump the bar), and don't attempt big jumps in weight.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    ^^^^
    I completely agree
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tiezto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post
    There is no better exercise for the traps IMO.

I think alternate grip is a bad idea outside of training deadlifts. Use straps.

The problem right now is at 6'6" 160lbs you're essentially a skeleton. Focus on warming up properly, check your ego at the door and keep shrugs very strict (don't use your legs and hump the bar), and don't attempt big jumps in weight.
    Thanks for the feedback.

And Ego aint an issue as I train alone in my own gym. Bar a spot from a mate.

I think ill drop the weight a little maybe and work on technique a bit more.

Cheers

AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah don't go crazy heavy on them. Good way to aggravate that middle back which I've experienced a few times.

Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diablomeister is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Start with DB's maybe. I know when I first started my shrugs were pretty weak, but its a muscles group that shot up for me in no time. But the key is good form, dont be that guy that is jumping in place to get the bar up. get a very slight lean forward and shurg the back up and back a little. Once you get it down back shurgs might be a good variant to consider. Lately I have gone with DB's which allow for a better pause at the top for me. Whatever works for you man, but shurgs are a must!! imo
    Originally Posted by Tiffany Wantsmore

A lie to get yourself out of trouble is way different to a lie designed to not hurt someone's feelings.

Originally Posted by Curtiz

woman logic, gotta love it