nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Hack Squat Alternative

So, I've got my leg routine down for this portion of my mass building but Hack squats have started to take it's toll on my knees. Tried varying feet position and range of movement, but they just seem to stress my joints too much.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for hitting the quads hard? My hams and glutes are in good form, but looking for a good quad movement.

Was thinking the logical choice would be front squats but just fishing for ideas.

FYI my leg day comprises of :

- Squats
    - Leg press
    - Leg extensions
    - Lying leg curls
    - Standing leg curls
    - SLDL

So, what you guys think?

MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by nico_icecold View Post
    So, I've got my leg routine down for this portion of my mass building but Hack squats have started to take it's toll on my knees. Tried varying feet position and range of movement, but they just seem to stress my joints too much.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for hitting the quads hard? My hams and glutes are in good form, but looking for a good quad movement.

Was thinking the logical choice would be front squats but just fishing for ideas.

FYI my leg day comprises of :

- Squats
    - Leg press
    - Leg extensions
    - Lying leg curls
    - Standing leg curls
    - SLDL

So, what you guys think?
    Id say you had the right initial idea, front squats. I added them to my routine about 5 weeks ago and am noticing some improvements in my quads already. I actually just posted a progress pic of my quads about 3 days ago and id give the credit to squating.

Before i would alternate each week between going to parallel & ATG. Now i hit heavy back squats (parallel) and lighter front squats (ATG) each leg workout. Find what works for you but i have been loving this setup.

Also, if were to do this you might want to consider removing or replacing leg press. Aside from that there are some other good exercises to hit the quads with.

This exercise is primarily for the glutes but the stretch you get + the isolation from it being a single leg movement will really fry your quads at the end of a workout.

You dont have to use this setup but again it stood out compared to other leg routine i have had when focusing on the quads.

Back Squat: 3x6
    Front Squat (ATG): 3x10
    Bulgarian Split Squat: 3x10
    Then finish up with your hamstring work like you have been doing.

AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AnimalNation is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'll 2nd the front squats. I personally gave up back squats as they were causing me some knee joint aggravation and changed to front squats instead. No more knee pain for me and I feel I get a much better quad workout.

rezstyle is just really nice. (+1000) rezstyle is just really nice. (+1000) rezstyle is just really nice. (+1000) rezstyle is just really nice. (+1000) rezstyle is just really nice. (+1000) rezstyle is just really nice. (+1000) rezstyle is just really nice. (+1000) rezstyle is just really nice. (+1000) rezstyle is just really nice. (+1000) rezstyle is just really nice. (+1000) rezstyle is just really nice. (+1000)

hex

The hex bar squat forces your legs into more of an athletic stance (narrower than squat). This is a "specialty" bar so may not be in many gyms, but would be a nice supplement into leg workouts.

http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/...tionHexBar.pdf

Team Boss Barbell Club Rsardinia's Avatar
    Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    First off let me say this, make sure you aren't letting your knees get over your toes. If you are, there's your knee problems. Also, don't go super heavy on quad extensions, those can put a major stress on your knees as well. As for an alternative exercise try sissy squats. They are a great finisher and will give you a huge pump in your quads.

nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10) nico_icecold is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks guys - I think I'll try front quats for a few weeks, then sissy and see what works best for me.
    @Rsardinia - good call man, but yeah I never let my knees go past my toes and my extensions are more of a pre-exhaust to warm my knees and get the blood flowing. I only go heavy on my compounds.